SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#434835 - 07/21/17 09:51 PM how do YOU contact the AD's?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
It's no secret that I've hardly worked these last 3-4 years....burned out from working through everyone that comes between me and an audience (employers, filling out forms, invoices, generally difficult people, etc).

But......I do have bills to pay like all of us. I'm thinking about trying to get back to work.....just the senior places.

Everything changed from when I was working regularly. You all know that. It used to be (when I wanted to hustle new accounts) I would just call a place, get the AD on the phone almost immediately, have a brief casual conversation, tell her my references, and presto! zippo! I would get a booking.

Of course, it doesn't work like that anymore. Though Gary is absolutely correct in what he does to get new accounts, I just don't have the time for all of that.

What's the best way to make yourself known out on the circuit again with the least effort (not NO effort, just the least)?

I'm thinking now about reviving my old flyer that tells what I do and Google the FAX # and fax it over. It's nicely designed but, bottom line is it will just go in the scrap heap with the rest of the AD's daily communications.

Any suggestions other than build up a reputation again?

Mark

#434854 - 07/22/17 03:58 AM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Go to each facility in person with your calendar show the AD how many jobs you already have booked at other facilities and that she still has a chance to grab a few dates this year and next while they are available!, present your pitch to the AD,...you have to put in the time and "have the goods" that's the bottom line! ....what you sound like, stage presence, interaction with the residence, different theme flexibility "country, 50's, Broadway showtunes, christmas, hawaiian, holidays,etc, etc, ,... you have to sell yourself and make that AD say "WOW I gotta have this guy play for our residents!"

Good luck
keys

Edited by Dnj (07/22/17 07:20 AM)

#434864 - 07/22/17 06:51 AM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
There's no easy way. Yes, send your flyer, a demo, promo pack and go in person. When you go in person, be prepared for them to ask you play and sing on the spot in a crappy out of tune piano with no mic. . " Oh you're a keybosrdist? We have piano right over there, Sing something right now for us"

I think it would be great to have a video of a performance and edit down to about 3 minuets , put on YouTube and send the links via email to the AD.

Once you get the gig, and you allready know this, it will always be an audition. Every gig is an audition. They are observing how you interact with everyone, how well your material is going over, how many people fall asleep, if the residents ask about you later.....

Once you get the gig, be prepared that they change AD without any notice, and you pretty have to start all over again. Yeah there's no essy way. It's a PITA, but if you love performing nothing will stop you.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#434869 - 07/22/17 08:29 AM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the things I quickly discovered is you have to find out the name of the AD, otherwise all of your items either faxed or mailed, would never reach them. The easiest way I found was to merely make a simple telephone call, which put you through to to receptionist. Then I would say "Hi, this is Gary Diamond of Travlin Easy Productions. We are updating our data base of retirement communities, assisted living centers and nursing homes in Maryland. I just need to verify your mailing address, number of beds and the name of your activity director." I would then read off what I already had on file, which was the facility name, address and phone number, then ask for the ADs name and extension if any. Worked like a charm. Now I had a person to communicate with directly, either by fax, mail or in person. And, you compiled a great data base of facilities, which I updated every year.

Of course, when I visited in person, I always brought the goodies, my calendar, a free calendar for him or her, pens, and a CD. However, a video would also go a long way, especially on You Tube or in a DVD form. When they can see you in action, your chances of landing that job go up dramatically.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#434871 - 07/22/17 08:43 AM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Be careful Videos or CDs for that matter could have a Very "negative reverse" effect as they look nice, edited, etc,....
but then in person "live" your act is totally different looking or sounding to an AD, or whomever is listening..
Just be better & Different then all the rest.
A Live Show is always the way to go nothing to hide behind they see you and you alone. IMO..

Edited by Dnj (07/22/17 11:15 AM)

#434874 - 07/22/17 10:34 AM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

If you are confident in your skills... just offer a single free performance to a few places.. have them enjoy them.. amd then ask them to book you for your normal price.

If you made a start again, you can build uppon that and get more revenues in other places like you used to.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#434879 - 07/22/17 10:55 AM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: Mark79100]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
The music business is really the people business and contacting ADs in person is the way to go. At the very least call and offer to send a promo package by mail or email but talking to them in person is the best. I never enjoyed the marketing aspect of the business and if I ever get back in it my wife, who is a people person, will handle that for me.

#434881 - 07/22/17 01:35 PM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
“The music business is really the people business and contacting ADs in person is the way to go”.

“If you are confident in your skills... just offer a single free performance to a few places”.

Two great ideas. My line: (Sales pitch) I know it’s difficult to pay for something you have not heard, so I would like to play without charging you. When do you have an open time?

I just want my foot in the door; the rest is easy. If you are good then you use the place you are playing in as your recommendation.

Years ago when my band needed more work one of the band members and I would spend some time knocking on doors. The numbers game rarely fails.

Readers Digest had an article – it said that 10% of the people out there were crazy. There you have it – there will be one out of every ten that will hire you. (aaaaaah)

John C.

#434882 - 07/22/17 01:42 PM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By bruno123

Readers Digest had an article – it said that 10% of the people out there were crazy. There you have it – there will be one out of every ten that will hire you.

...and Redd Foxx (comedian) said "one out of every three people is ugly, so if the two people you're with look okay........"

smile

chas

#434883 - 07/22/17 01:45 PM Re: how do YOU contact the AD's? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

And why just the AD's of Nursing homes....why not the AD's of hundreds of 55+ Adult Communities which have so many clubs, eg: Mens club, Womans club, Recreation club, Italian American, Irish, Latin, Jewish, Bowling, Golf, Bocce, Shuffleboard, etc, etc,...all of them have awards dinner and dance functions, with entertainment needed for dancing,...
and out of that comes all the private work, weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, retirement etc,etc,...it's endless work if your good enough to handle it and provide a top notch product.... cool2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online