SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#403276 - 06/09/15 09:02 PM What would YOU do?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I wrestled with this all day today.

I played a one hour strolling accordion job at a large town Street Festival over the weekend. When I hustled the job, I charged her $150 just so I could “get my feet in the door.” The job went well. When I telephoned her today for payment arrangements, she asked “where to send the check” and she “forgot how much I charged her”……she asked was it $200 or $250? Now, I had just before that asked how much she paid for the “stage” acts (which, by the way, were AWFUL…..notice all capital letters!!!). Answer: some were volunteers, some got $300-$400, the whole band at the end got $3,000. I thought real fast and figured if they were paying that kind of money for “bad” acts, then why shouldn’t I lie and tell her “it was $200”……which I did.

That’s where my dilemma started. I immediately felt guilty about telling her a lie about the price. Although, she is going to send me $200, that doesn’t erase the fact that I lied. I’m no Johnny-do-good, but I am basically an honest person. But the other side of the coin is....where did being honest ever get me?

Then I’m thinking, that extra $50 is just a drop in the town’s Festival budget. But also I’m thinking “a man is only as good as his word!”

Most of all I’m thinking, the Almighty is going to punish me. He has always done me right financially, and so I’m assuming, because of my deceit, He is displeased with me and He’ll get even with me on a future job (my vehicle will break down on the way, my accordion will melt into a small lump of plastic in the summer heat, I’ll come down with Bubonic Plague the day before the job, etc)

At the end of the day, one of my sayings to myself has been: “always remember.....EVERYONE is honest.....until the stakes are so high it pays them to be “dishonest!” Are my in that category now?

What would you do? Would you feel good about yourself and return the money or feel like crap knowing you cheated someone?

There should be a Federal law passed that prohibits “guilt trips” on American citizens in any way, shape, or form!

MARK

#403279 - 06/10/15 02:37 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think it is not worth $50 to betray your morals and conscience. The dilemma is set up when you realize, as a business man, that you are throwing away the money, as it appears that no kudos would be gained if she doesn't know the difference.

It's a tough call for a moral man alright.

Bernie

#403280 - 06/10/15 02:52 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Bernie9]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
There lies a dilemma. duel To be or not to be?? confused1

Are we good people because we choose to be good , or are we good because we are afraid "he" will punish us for being bad???
Do we want to help another human being because we can, or do we help them because will get reward? hmmmmmm

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#403286 - 06/10/15 03:49 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Mark79100]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I suggest you call her and tell her you rechecked your old notes and found that you had only quoted her the $150. You could explain how you normally charge $xxx, but were trying to give the city a first time discount. Offer to return the extra money or apply it as a deposit for the next booking. My guess is you'll get to keep the money, lighten your conscience and get another booking at the price you really want to charge.

It's a gamble, but the odds are in your favor; and it shows you in a good light.

#403287 - 06/10/15 03:54 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Mark79100]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I agree with Cassp - come clean and feel good...
You'll probably get those extra bookings at the same time.

#403288 - 06/10/15 04:23 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark this is not about music or lying about dollars – Nor is about the Almighty punishing you.

The answer about what should do is simple, just answer the question: WHO AM I? Then do what that person would do. Above all don’t add more onto what has happened.

The Almighty does not sit and wait to catch us when are doing wrong so He can punish us, He is a loving Almighty. We punish ourselves; I feel your post shows that.

IMHO, John C.

#403289 - 06/10/15 04:28 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: cassp]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: cassp
I suggest you call her and tell her you rechecked your old notes and found that you had only quoted her the $150.

...OR, you could call her and tell her you rechecked you old notes and found that you had quoted her $250. Think of it as 'payback' for years of MUSICIAN ABUSE at the hands of those who hire us smile.

Of course I'm kidding but my feelings on the matter align perfectly with Mirza's.

chas

#403291 - 06/10/15 04:33 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
do what Cassp said. admit it was a mistake on your part and you forgot about the " first gig" discount. clear your conscience and move on.
recently had a phone conversation with a club owner at a place where I played a private party. I could tell he was half in the bag but I tried to explain the difference in my pricing for a privat affair and a restaurant gig. He accused me of being dishonest with him so I told him the price for a 3 hour restaurant gig and hung up.
I was trying to be upfront and I always have done business this way. My point is a clear mind is worth more than a few bucks.
You have a unique talent so things will work out.

#403293 - 06/10/15 05:52 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Where's the SIGNED CONTRACT? no contract, No Gig!

Edited by Dnj (06/10/15 06:20 AM)

#403294 - 06/10/15 06:08 AM Re: What would YOU do? [Re: Mark79100]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Just to add to it: if you call and tell the lady you made a mistake would do no good - it will be just another lie... If you feel like doing something, well then call her and tell her you changed your mind and you will be happy with 150 bucks. No other explanation.

In my part of the world that would be a very nice surprise for her...

smile

But then again, in my part of the world, 150 dollars is a man one month pay.

Edited by adimatis (06/10/15 06:08 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online