What would YOU do?

Posted by: Mark79100

What would YOU do? - 06/09/15 09:02 PM

I wrestled with this all day today.

I played a one hour strolling accordion job at a large town Street Festival over the weekend. When I hustled the job, I charged her $150 just so I could “get my feet in the door.” The job went well. When I telephoned her today for payment arrangements, she asked “where to send the check” and she “forgot how much I charged her”……she asked was it $200 or $250? Now, I had just before that asked how much she paid for the “stage” acts (which, by the way, were AWFUL…..notice all capital letters!!!). Answer: some were volunteers, some got $300-$400, the whole band at the end got $3,000. I thought real fast and figured if they were paying that kind of money for “bad” acts, then why shouldn’t I lie and tell her “it was $200”……which I did.

That’s where my dilemma started. I immediately felt guilty about telling her a lie about the price. Although, she is going to send me $200, that doesn’t erase the fact that I lied. I’m no Johnny-do-good, but I am basically an honest person. But the other side of the coin is....where did being honest ever get me?

Then I’m thinking, that extra $50 is just a drop in the town’s Festival budget. But also I’m thinking “a man is only as good as his word!”

Most of all I’m thinking, the Almighty is going to punish me. He has always done me right financially, and so I’m assuming, because of my deceit, He is displeased with me and He’ll get even with me on a future job (my vehicle will break down on the way, my accordion will melt into a small lump of plastic in the summer heat, I’ll come down with Bubonic Plague the day before the job, etc)

At the end of the day, one of my sayings to myself has been: “always remember.....EVERYONE is honest.....until the stakes are so high it pays them to be “dishonest!” Are my in that category now?

What would you do? Would you feel good about yourself and return the money or feel like crap knowing you cheated someone?

There should be a Federal law passed that prohibits “guilt trips” on American citizens in any way, shape, or form!

MARK
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 02:37 AM

I think it is not worth $50 to betray your morals and conscience. The dilemma is set up when you realize, as a business man, that you are throwing away the money, as it appears that no kudos would be gained if she doesn't know the difference.

It's a tough call for a moral man alright.

Bernie
Posted by: mirza

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 02:52 AM

There lies a dilemma. duel To be or not to be?? confused1

Are we good people because we choose to be good , or are we good because we are afraid "he" will punish us for being bad???
Do we want to help another human being because we can, or do we help them because will get reward? hmmmmmm
Posted by: cassp

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 03:49 AM

I suggest you call her and tell her you rechecked your old notes and found that you had only quoted her the $150. You could explain how you normally charge $xxx, but were trying to give the city a first time discount. Offer to return the extra money or apply it as a deposit for the next booking. My guess is you'll get to keep the money, lighten your conscience and get another booking at the price you really want to charge.

It's a gamble, but the odds are in your favor; and it shows you in a good light.
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 03:54 AM

I agree with Cassp - come clean and feel good...
You'll probably get those extra bookings at the same time.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 04:23 AM

Mark this is not about music or lying about dollars – Nor is about the Almighty punishing you.

The answer about what should do is simple, just answer the question: WHO AM I? Then do what that person would do. Above all don’t add more onto what has happened.

The Almighty does not sit and wait to catch us when are doing wrong so He can punish us, He is a loving Almighty. We punish ourselves; I feel your post shows that.

IMHO, John C.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: cassp
I suggest you call her and tell her you rechecked your old notes and found that you had only quoted her the $150.

...OR, you could call her and tell her you rechecked you old notes and found that you had quoted her $250. Think of it as 'payback' for years of MUSICIAN ABUSE at the hands of those who hire us smile.

Of course I'm kidding but my feelings on the matter align perfectly with Mirza's.

chas
Posted by: Bill Lewis

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 04:33 AM

do what Cassp said. admit it was a mistake on your part and you forgot about the " first gig" discount. clear your conscience and move on.
recently had a phone conversation with a club owner at a place where I played a private party. I could tell he was half in the bag but I tried to explain the difference in my pricing for a privat affair and a restaurant gig. He accused me of being dishonest with him so I told him the price for a 3 hour restaurant gig and hung up.
I was trying to be upfront and I always have done business this way. My point is a clear mind is worth more than a few bucks.
You have a unique talent so things will work out.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 05:52 AM

Where's the SIGNED CONTRACT? no contract, No Gig!
Posted by: adimatis

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 06:08 AM

Just to add to it: if you call and tell the lady you made a mistake would do no good - it will be just another lie... If you feel like doing something, well then call her and tell her you changed your mind and you will be happy with 150 bucks. No other explanation.

In my part of the world that would be a very nice surprise for her...

smile

But then again, in my part of the world, 150 dollars is a man one month pay.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 06:26 AM

Mark, If you have decided who you are is an honest man do not add any lying to the issue.

If I think back I have done the same thing more than once; and I kept the money. Because I am not that guy any longer I would simply tell her you made an error and would apply a $50 credit to your next job. This way you may ensure another job and you have been honest. (She will remember you as an honest man)

IMHO, John C.

PS, You gotta love that Donny he gets to the legal part right away. Mr. Business. Not a bad thing.
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 07:36 AM

Your conscience already told you what to do . You just need to do it .

Sometimes we make stuff harder than they really are .....
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 07:47 AM

I never have a problem with this kind of thing. I charge everyone the same price per hour, which is always stipulated in the contract and everyone gets a contract.

Good Luck,

Gary cool
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 09:57 AM

Mark, you're a good guy...one of my favorites here.

You'll do the right thing. In this business, just thinking about the issue is a big deal.

Be well,

Russ
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 02:06 PM

God is watching. Charge her the orig. $150.00 and you will
do what is right. Business will be good to you. Lloyd

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
God is watching.

Wow, Putin is 'annexing' Crimea, Iran is trying it's best to build a nuclear bomb to annihilate it's neighbors, ISIS is beheading Christians, Jews, Journalist, and anybody else it deems 'unworthy', Sexism and Racism plague practically every society on earth, disease and hunger kill off thousands of children and adults every day, and the list goes on......so I hope HE isn't wasting a lot of time on your little white lie.

Like it or not, the 'damage' was done the second you decided to lie and take the extra 50 bucks. What you're experiencing now is nothing more than guilt and putting it out there as a "What would YOU do" post is just a way of trying to deal with it.

If she asked me face-to-face, I'd tell her $150. If she (without asking) sent me a check for 200.00 or 250.00, I would pocket it without a second thought and chalk it up to her incompetence.

The die has been cast, the lie has already been told. Anything you do now is for YOU and to ease YOUR conscience. It's the moral equivalent of cheating on your wife and begging forgiveness later.

In the end, do what YOU think you'll be comfortable living with....and do it for THAT reason, not because someone or something is 'watching you'. Hey, I assumed you wanted an honest opinion, not some sugar-coated warm fuzzy.

chas
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/10/15 06:20 PM

Don't ask others. You know what is right and wrong.

Do the right thing.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/11/15 05:02 AM

Hey Chas
You missed at least a couple more villains who don't want peace in this world😆

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/11/15 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: mirza
Hey Chas
You missed at least a couple more villains who don't want peace in this world😆

Yeah, I didn't want to mention those Synthzone members by name smile smile.

chas

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/11/15 05:40 AM

juggle

Re: What would YOU do? - 06/11/15 08:54 AM

Mark maybe you did it on Sunday??
In that case you are not on the naughty list.JC, Muhammad and Moses were probably playing golf and didn't even see it in the first place.My lips are sealed if they ask me.
Kidding aside, if it was me I would say $150 no matter what.But, I don't think your sin was anything to talk about or punish you.
You'll know what to do for whatever your choice might be.
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: What would YOU do? - 07/03/15 09:28 PM

So I thought I’d wait to get the check before I made a decision. No sense lying awake at night thinking about what to do if the check was for $150. I finally got it and it WAS $200.

I read everything carefully that you all wrote, put it all together and came up with this. I called her and told her I realized I made a mistake when I went to enter her check in my records. Asked her what she wanted me to do with the $50 and the reply was “keep it and take it off of next year’s event.”

That worked out really nicely (whew…..I’m wiping my brow)!

But I have to give you guys points here. Everyone came together on this topic….no bickering, no shanghai-ing, no dissension. Just a lot of great advice, thoughts, comments......and......insight into everyone’s character. I was very impressed with the good moral advice a lot of you gave here.

I thought this was one of the best threads ever that displayed group unity.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. When you guys need to be serious about something you make an art out of it!

Mark
Posted by: adimatis

Re: What would YOU do? - 07/04/15 12:11 AM

I think it was a great thread.
I appreciate the fact you've told us all your story, not many people would have opened up about that, and hopefully what we've all written did not offend you in any way.
All the best Mark!
Posted by: 124

Re: What would YOU do? - 07/04/15 02:36 AM

Take the $50 off next year's bill? I'd rather she'd said ''keep the fifty bucks, you were worth it.''
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: What would YOU do? - 07/04/15 08:38 AM

Just make NEXT year's bill $250 ...
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: What would YOU do? - 07/04/15 09:42 AM

Hi Mark:

The weight of that "unearned gain" on your conscience will follow you (and only you) as a stain on your reputation. I know it isn't much and the lady will probably never know... but what if she does? If you return the $50 bucks, think of the PR it will gain you for next year's gig... and she will probably tell ten friends about your honesty and talent.

Usually, what goes 'round, comes back around... and think how good you'll feel.

All the best,

Dave Rice