SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#403454 - 06/15/15 08:14 AM What kind of music do audiences want to hear?...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Over these many decades of being an entertainer, I've always made it a point to determine what my audiences want to hear. Sometimes it's a real challenge to determine what will get their undivided attention and put them on the dance floor. I've always strived to provide the most diverse program of any band in my area, and in that regard, I think I've succeeded.

In another thread, Chas talked about the demise of Jazz bands, and for the most part I agree with his statements. I really don't know a lot about Jazz, or jazz bands, other than I've never been able to listen to Jazz for more than 20 minutes and then had to switch to something else. Same goes for blues and reggae - after a while every song began to sound the same.

In contrast, I often listen to Willie Nelson albums while driving. Same goes for Jimmy Buffett. I believe they both provide a diverse song list on each and every album they produce, which is why they hold my attention.

Apparently, my preferences seem to coincide with my audiences preferences as well. They tend to enjoy the music I enjoy, which should be no surprise since I'm not that much younger than the vast majority of my audiences. The only exception to that is when I was performing in the Florida Keys, and surprisingly, the spring breakers asked for a lot of 70s and 80s stuff, especially anything by Sinatra. Who wudda thunk it?

A recent survey revealed what many of us probably already knew - Country leads the list of preferred music genres, followed by rock, while Jazz is at the bottom of the list and blues is no longer on the charts at all. A couple years ago, blues was at the bottom, making up just 3 percent of the consumer music sales of CDs. There was a Bar Rescue show that revealed the same data when they rescued a blues bar and transformed it into a another type of venue to prevent it from going bust.

Here's a link to the popularity of music genres that I thought may be of interest to everyone here that performs for a living: MUSIC GENRES

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#403455 - 06/15/15 09:02 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Jazz is just for certain people. Not the general population. The same can be said about Opera and TV "Westerns," especially staring Randolph Scott, Glen Ford, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne and maybe a few more I can't think of at the moment. Ha ha!

Edited by brickboo (06/15/15 09:27 AM)

#403456 - 06/15/15 09:12 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
confused1

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#403457 - 06/15/15 09:31 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Jazz has too many chords and notes and takes too much time to learn. Some other genres you can learn in 30 seconds or less other than the lyrics might take 2 minutes to type out until you can memorized it!

#403459 - 06/15/15 09:59 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I think its the attention deficit thing with todays audiences. Jazz, Classical and even some Blues are music that need your full attention to appreciate fully whats going on. Also the aspect of the musical knowledge base of the listeners. The more you know about a particular style. piece, or artist the more you can listen intelligently. Fewer arts programs in schools.

I'd say most of todays audience wants instant gratification with no effort. Very few people listen to much music on a regular baisi and if they do its probably the radio playing the same setlist over and over so thats all they relate to.

Why do we all do the same songs for parties and Weddings. Thats all they know and want.

#403460 - 06/15/15 10:08 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My audiences want to hear jazz and light standards. That's what I'm known for, and I have very little competition around here.

It's obviously a niche, but that's what I want to do, and I have enough people around to make it worthwhile.

This town is full of people playing Buffett. People hire me because I don't. Won't.

Willie is a good writer (eg. Crazy), but his travel/outlaw/drinking songs are embarrassingly childish, as are all Buffett songs, in my opinion.

As I see it, you have two options: One, you can play what the masses want, without regard to excellence and innovation in structure, lyrics, etc., or work like hell learning more challenging material, knowing, as you improve, your potential audience is getting smaller (as is your paycheck).

A third option is to get into sound tracks...no audience, but lots of freedom to create, lots of work, if you're good enough
and excellent pay (think six figures, easily). The downside is impossible deadlines and 30 hour sessions; some back to back.

Playing what general audiences want is fine.

Playing what you want at all costs is my choice.

I'm still hard at work trying to do that.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (06/15/15 10:10 AM)

#403461 - 06/15/15 11:17 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

I agree with Capt. Russ. Lloyd

#403462 - 06/15/15 11:18 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I guess I'm fortunate because the music I like to play seems to be the same music my audiences enjoy. Maybe that's because those people are coming BECAUSE I'm playing music they want to hear. Or maybe it's because every time I get a request for a song I don't know, I research and learn it if possible (but only IF I like it).
I certainly have the most diverse songlist of anyone around here, and I get requests for country, rock 'n roll, pop, standards (Sinatra-type), 50's, 60's 70's, Cajun, swing (East Coast, West Coast) some blues and r&b. Practically zero requests for jazz. There have been numerous jazz clubs open here and none has lasted more than a few months.
I don't try to keep up with current songs, because most of them I don't like. If one comes up that I do like I try to learn it. Country is no longer country, it is mostly a wall of distortion with inane lyrics, but occasionally one comes along that I will do. I don't do rap or dance or hip-hop or trance although there are proven audiences for all those genres. I'd look and sound pretty stupid trying to cover much of that.
There is a rather unique style popular here and in Texas that I suppose you would call Texas Roadhouse or Texas Blues, and it goes over well with certain audiences. Most of it is original songs with standard formats. Also there is quite an interest in groups such as Asleep At the Wheel, who have revived and modernized swing music such as Bob Wills used to do. It is pretty highly orchestrated yet allows for a lot of individuality within the parameters.
Their are several types of Blues that are popular around here, including New Orleans Jazz/Blues, Delbert McClinton-Stevie Ray Vaughn-type blues, and B.B. King-type. These are my designations, btw. I sprinkling of these goes over, but not a steady diet of any one type all night long.
I see my job as providing songs that people recognize, and understand the lyrics (if any) and dance to if they wish.
Arrangers are particularly well suited for what I do, as the venues I work are mostly on the small side, and the budgets are such that I can live with, but larger professional groups could not. Most songs are done in my own style. If they want the exact song, there are DJs and original artists available for hire. I think the audiences appreciate that I'm doing my interpretation. They may or may not realize that I am somewhat restricted within the parameters of my equipment. I prefer to not use MP3s or midi files except on rare occasions. I've been getting by doing this since the days of playing organ and kicking bass pedals. I'd hate to see this type of one-man band go away, but it most likely will. Not in time to affect me though.
Mostly I bring back memories and make people feel good.
I'm trying to do more gratis work these days, such as VA hospital, and fund-raisers for worthy causes (did one at the church Saturday and it raised nearly $5,000 for the choir!) I won't do nursing homes for free. That absolutely are not charities.
I'm certainly not discovering cures for diseases, but there are less admirable jobs around. smile

#403466 - 06/15/15 11:26 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

#403471 - 06/15/15 11:40 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don's approach is different, but I certainly understand and respect it.

Part of that is the big dufus' personality. The dude could sell a headache medicine commercial at a blues festival.

Asleep At The Wheel music is more complex and a lot of fun to play. Around 1968, they were in the area, and someone stole a three neck fender non-pedal steel. I had one, and the owner of Carl's music center arranged for a sale....$150.00...what i paid for it. I think they used it for years. A blond lady played it, I think.

Now, I shudder to think what it's worth.

Don deserves the success he's achieved over the years.I'd play Asleep at the Wheel tunes with him anytime.

Russ
(P.S. Don-send the check to my regular address).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online