SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#403619 - 06/17/15 03:24 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Here was my set list today for a seniors dinner event. Got rave comments from all present.
Played with my T4 and Bose Compact Speaker.

1. Ain’t Misbehavin’
2. Blue Moon
3. Harbor Lights
4. Stardust
5. A Slow Boat To China
6. Alice Blue Gown
7. All Of Me
8. Always
9. Apple Blossom Time
10. As Time Goes By
11. Blue Hawaii
12. Blueberry Hill
13. I’ll Be Seeing You
14. I’ll See You Again
15. Tenderly
16. Tennesee Waltz
17. The Sound Of Music
18. There’s A Small Hotel
19. Waltz Across Texas
20. We’ll Meet Again
21. When You’re Smiling
22. Yes Sir, That’s My Baby
23. You Made Me Love You
24. You Were Meant For Me
25. You’ll Never Know
26. Your Cheatin’ Heart

#403620 - 06/17/15 03:30 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, just play it live - forgetabout those MP3s, find a good style for the song, and make it yours.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#403621 - 06/17/15 03:40 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Donny, just play it live - forgetabout those MP3s, find a good style for the song, and make it yours.

Gary cool

I would love to hear someone try it with a style,...but I don't think these younger dance crowds will ever embrace it as their ears are trained for the original,.....I like mixing it up ,sometimes I don't even have a keyboard with me... wink

Edited by Dnj (06/17/15 03:46 PM)

#403622 - 06/17/15 04:14 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: The Pro]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: The Pro
One trick that has worked for me is to offer the audience, or people who want to make requests, a songlist to choose from. That way they will always pick songs that I know instead of stammering around asking for songs I don't know (endlessly). I can't play everything and wouldn't want to play it if I did so guiding the audience to where I want them to go seems to not only save us both frustration but it adds to my tip jar as well.

I actually think it's a wonderful way to do it. Trying songs that you don't know... well... you might get through it but you might just suck. I hate that, lol! I also hate to hear somebody absolutely butcher a song. One verse/chorus, ok, quit and laugh it off. Or the whole song is fine if you know it and don't suck. But if you don't know it... a whole song, spare me, please!

#403623 - 06/17/15 04:27 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I just read your comment DonM. I think your web page idea could be cool except older people, I dunno if they would embrace that. If you wanna really do it, just hand them a business card with one of those scanner code thingies on it that goes to your website page and there are the songs.

Or, just don't take requests, lol. Or is it a law you have to? (I think there is nothing wrong with saying "I'm sorry, I don't do that one yet but I will play you another by that artist.") Or in that genre or whatever.

In my personal opinion, and that is all that it is... performers should not do songs that they do not do well. I think they should play fewer songs really well. Of course, musicians will say that people don't know the difference anyway. Hmmm.

OTOH, if the requester has a c-note in his hand, I'm in, lol.

#403624 - 06/17/15 04:30 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I have never wanted to be a DJ. And the day I have to do that will be the day I pass the torch. I got into this to do live music, and that's all I'll ever do. An occasional mp3 is fine as long as the show remains live.

#403625 - 06/17/15 04:37 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: Songman55]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Songman55
I have never wanted to be a DJ. And the day I have to do that will be the day I pass the torch. I got into this to do live music, and that's all I'll ever do. An occasional mp3 is fine as long as the show remains live.

I respect all who perform in the arts anyway shape or form,....personally it's too boring for me to just do one thing all the time. I'm glad I can mix it up letting me cover all kinds of venues. Having blinders on or maybe there are some who just can't do certain things, sing, Dj, or all of the above together just leave s more work for the ones that can do it, nothing wrong with that.
As long as you get your piece of the pie. There's more then enough to go around in many ways. There is no right or wrong way to do it just BE GREAT at Whatever it is YOU DO and make the people you perform for want you back and stand up[ and cheer when you done! clap

#403630 - 06/17/15 07:00 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: Songman55]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Songman55

I feel the same way...if I had to use an SMF or mp3 I'd quit playing. Seriously!

It may be fine for other performers/entertainers, but, I'm primarily a "keyboard player" and not having as much control as possible (in my case, using a personally made custom style works best) over my song arrangements is not acceptable.

Using a custom style not only allows me the freedom of playing a tune in a different genre and time signature ( i.e. a waltz played as a slow jazz ballad) but I am also able to freely substitute alternate chords (or sub different basslines) further allowing a more persona;l interpretation of a song or piece of music.

Using commercial and/or pre-recorded midi files (or mp3's) isn't conducive to having a unique performance, in my opinion, although I suppose some entertainers are forced to use them in order to please their audience who expect the tunes to sound like the original recordings.

That's most definitely not for me. The purpose behind my purchase of an Arranger Keyboard was so I wouldn't have to sound like the original.

Ian

#403631 - 06/17/15 07:25 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Joe and Ian, I fully agree - I never wanted to be a DJ or a KJ - I've always been a live music performer, even when I played guitar in smoke-filled bars. When it get to that point, all my gear goes on Ebay.

Donny, I just messed with the song for a few minutes using the Hard Rock style of the PSR-3000, and if you do this, you don't have to go through the slow down segment at a lower speed, it worked just fine doing that segment at regular speed.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#403635 - 06/18/15 01:55 AM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: RMepstead]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: RMepstead
I'm currently getting to grips with a Steely Dan repertoire for a tribute band over here in the U.K. Boy those fellas sure mix up the chord sequences and the chords themselves more than somewhat, but I can't stop listening to it now in the car whilst travelling from A to B.

Steely Dan really are the bomb. I just love this band and every song they play is a total gem. I have seen them play live in LA many times and they never disappoint.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online