SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#398622 - 01/24/15 08:30 PM Does anyone know anything about making a style?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I’ve had my PA3x for 3 years now and haven’t played more than 10 hours on it. I‘ve been thinking about giving it to Gary to use as a boat anchor.

I had a good listen to those PA3 styles yesterday. The swing and standard 4/4 basic styles are good but the rest of them sound like they came out of a children’s music box, or like something you‘d hear coming out of a carousel.

To be fair, I can’t say they’re bad……they’re just bad to me. I play more international music (paso dobles, tangos, Strauss waltz’s, French musette, cha-cha’s, etc and the PA3 is sadly lacking with those genres.

So.......someone posted this link a few days ago and I was really impressed with how dynamic it sounded, especially compared to the Korg.

90s Sevillanas
http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/instru...s/?currency=USD

I could really get back into playing with this type of style. It got me thinking about, since I do like what the PA3x can do soundwise, maybe I can make my own styles.

Knowing the #1 ingredient is talent in arranging and knowing how to fit different instruments together......let’s say theoretically you can think like a drummer, bassist, etc, then......is it difficult......VERY difficult......or “fagetta ’bout it”.....putting it all together.

I don’t think I can do it, but I’m wondering if any of you have had success or can offer tips?

Or maybe even recommend a keyboard (other than a Ketron)that has more exciting international styles (Yamaha PSR-S950, Korg PA900, etc?)

Mark

#398625 - 01/24/15 09:03 PM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

#398626 - 01/24/15 09:16 PM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Don't give it away, and Gary doesn't need a boat anchor. I'll give you $50 for your Pa3X. Okay? smile

#398638 - 01/25/15 06:30 AM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

#398641 - 01/25/15 07:36 AM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
And that, boys and girls, is why so many of us love our Yamaha's

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#398643 - 01/25/15 08:26 AM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: 124]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
Don't give it away, and Gary doesn't need a boat anchor. I'll give you $50 for your Pa3X. Okay? smile

I'll give you $150 and I'll even pick it up save us both shipping costs.

#398650 - 01/25/15 09:56 AM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The programmers for the factory styles use a computer program for creating styles. The keyboard itself is rarely, if ever, used.

I had some converted Korg styles sent to me and I thought the idea behind them was excellent, as they are programmed over at least 8 bars, which tends to allow for some nice variation within a style section.

Programming from scratch on the keyboard is very tedious and requires a more than good knowledge of how each part (bass, chords, pads etc.) is played idiomatically, and this must be done for each variation (4) plus each fill-in as well....not to forget intros and endings, which are programmed slightly different from the other sections.

One thing I did learn from the Korg styles was making each variation of my own Frankenstyles at least 8 bars long, and to search for donor parts from other styles that had some sort of movement in them. I have a folder with styles that are used for just that purpose.

I find it much easier and quicker (with genuinely great results) to use the Style Assembly section of Yamaha's Style Creator and swap in parts from other styles, which eliminates a lot of the hassles of playing in the parts "live", which will involve setting note limits, and triggering types...when using donor parts, these settings are already done for you.

Also, in Yamaha;s style creator there is a Groove & Dynamics section which is extremely handy for changing the "feel" of a style (adding "swing" for instance) or making parts from other styles blend in (I'm sure Korg has an equivalent feature)....also, in the more current Yamaha style creators, the guitar parts can be set for stroke or arpeggio (or "all-purpose"), giving some very impressive results.

So, Mark, even without programming from scratch, you can do a lot to a style to make it your own, and the more time you spend on editing, the easier it becomes.

Ian

#398651 - 01/25/15 10:13 AM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

You can have all the styles in the world but it's your playing talent that really matters to make them sound good.

#398652 - 01/25/15 10:17 AM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree, Donny, but it's those great styles that continue to inspire me to play, and more often than not, that inspiration makes me, and many others better players and performers. Without good styles, the keyboard is nothing more than a glorified piano or organ, IMO. It's the styles that make the keyboard and the players make those styles come to life.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#398653 - 01/25/15 10:19 AM Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mark can play circles around most of us!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online