Does anyone know anything about making a style?

Posted by: Mark79100

Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/24/15 08:30 PM

I’ve had my PA3x for 3 years now and haven’t played more than 10 hours on it. I‘ve been thinking about giving it to Gary to use as a boat anchor.

I had a good listen to those PA3 styles yesterday. The swing and standard 4/4 basic styles are good but the rest of them sound like they came out of a children’s music box, or like something you‘d hear coming out of a carousel.

To be fair, I can’t say they’re bad……they’re just bad to me. I play more international music (paso dobles, tangos, Strauss waltz’s, French musette, cha-cha’s, etc and the PA3 is sadly lacking with those genres.

So.......someone posted this link a few days ago and I was really impressed with how dynamic it sounded, especially compared to the Korg.

90s Sevillanas
http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/instru...s/?currency=USD

I could really get back into playing with this type of style. It got me thinking about, since I do like what the PA3x can do soundwise, maybe I can make my own styles.

Knowing the #1 ingredient is talent in arranging and knowing how to fit different instruments together......let’s say theoretically you can think like a drummer, bassist, etc, then......is it difficult......VERY difficult......or “fagetta ’bout it”.....putting it all together.

I don’t think I can do it, but I’m wondering if any of you have had success or can offer tips?

Or maybe even recommend a keyboard (other than a Ketron)that has more exciting international styles (Yamaha PSR-S950, Korg PA900, etc?)

Mark

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/24/15 09:03 PM

I think THIS is where you listen to it.....

90s Sevillanas

http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/instru...y=USD&nav=2
Posted by: 124

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/24/15 09:16 PM

Don't give it away, and Gary doesn't need a boat anchor. I'll give you $50 for your Pa3X. Okay? smile
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 06:30 AM

Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 07:36 AM

And that, boys and girls, is why so many of us love our Yamaha's

Gary cool
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By: 124
Don't give it away, and Gary doesn't need a boat anchor. I'll give you $50 for your Pa3X. Okay? smile

I'll give you $150 and I'll even pick it up save us both shipping costs.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 09:56 AM

The programmers for the factory styles use a computer program for creating styles. The keyboard itself is rarely, if ever, used.

I had some converted Korg styles sent to me and I thought the idea behind them was excellent, as they are programmed over at least 8 bars, which tends to allow for some nice variation within a style section.

Programming from scratch on the keyboard is very tedious and requires a more than good knowledge of how each part (bass, chords, pads etc.) is played idiomatically, and this must be done for each variation (4) plus each fill-in as well....not to forget intros and endings, which are programmed slightly different from the other sections.

One thing I did learn from the Korg styles was making each variation of my own Frankenstyles at least 8 bars long, and to search for donor parts from other styles that had some sort of movement in them. I have a folder with styles that are used for just that purpose.

I find it much easier and quicker (with genuinely great results) to use the Style Assembly section of Yamaha's Style Creator and swap in parts from other styles, which eliminates a lot of the hassles of playing in the parts "live", which will involve setting note limits, and triggering types...when using donor parts, these settings are already done for you.

Also, in Yamaha;s style creator there is a Groove & Dynamics section which is extremely handy for changing the "feel" of a style (adding "swing" for instance) or making parts from other styles blend in (I'm sure Korg has an equivalent feature)....also, in the more current Yamaha style creators, the guitar parts can be set for stroke or arpeggio (or "all-purpose"), giving some very impressive results.

So, Mark, even without programming from scratch, you can do a lot to a style to make it your own, and the more time you spend on editing, the easier it becomes.

Ian

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 10:13 AM

You can have all the styles in the world but it's your playing talent that really matters to make them sound good.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 10:17 AM

I agree, Donny, but it's those great styles that continue to inspire me to play, and more often than not, that inspiration makes me, and many others better players and performers. Without good styles, the keyboard is nothing more than a glorified piano or organ, IMO. It's the styles that make the keyboard and the players make those styles come to life.

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 10:19 AM

Mark can play circles around most of us!

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: DonM

how do you know that Don? just sayin'

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
You can have all the styles in the world but it's your playing talent that really matters to make them sound good.

Donny......If I’m to believe, over the years, your self-praise and self-adulation and your eternal position as President, CEO, treasurer, and major stockholder of the DNJ fan club, then I’d also have to believe that all the musical talent in the world was given to you, and that the rest of us commoners will have to settle for whatever crumbs are left!

That's not fair, but "it IS what it is!"

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 12:05 PM

Because he has posted several things and they were really good.

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM

Don,

I'm at a "low point" right now with the music (as most of you already know), so.....true or false, thanks ever so much for the compliment. And I really mean the word "compliment" as it's coming from one of my peers whom I greatly respect for his own playing ability.

...and it's a good time to say this as maybe a bit of advice for other players. Don't.....as in DON'T.......let a day go by without hitting that keyboard. I've lost a lot of my playing ability from not using it on the arranger....playing the piano or playing the accordion is not quite the same. But, the good news is that, when you re-enter the arranger domain, after a few weeks it starts to come back to you.

Mark

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 12:27 PM

Ian.....thank you for this huge reply to my confusion over this style thing. I want to digest what you said here and then continue with some questions if you don't mind.

I actually really like the way they designed the PA3x and it's versatility and easy access to controls, etc so if I can conquer this style thing, it might just be a game changer for me!

I repeat what Gary said here:

"I agree, Donny, but it's those great styles that continue to inspire me to play, and more often than not, that inspiration makes me, and many others better players and performers. Without good styles, the keyboard is nothing more than a glorified piano or organ, IMO. It's the styles that make the keyboard and the players make those styles come to life."

To be continued......

Mark

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 12:29 PM

No high-speed so I can't see this video......can someone tell me what is it about?

Mark

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/25/15 12:41 PM

Sorry, I've thought about it and I really couldn't let it go for less than $200. After all, it IS in mint condition. And it's somewhat of a collector's item as it was purchased at the world-famous Frankie V's Audio Works in Milford, Connecticut. That alone makes it worth more than your average PA3x.

But........if you throw in a Hooter's girl and a six-pack of Hershey Bars, well...I would consider your offers!

MARK

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/29/15 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

So, Mark, even without programming from scratch, you can do a lot to a style to make it your own, and the more time you spend on editing, the easier it becomes.

Ian

Ian.......I finally got a chance to sit down and read through this thread. Thanks for giving me an idea of how a style is made. It must take an incredible amount of talent to be able to do all those parts.

I understand what you're saying about moving parts about (from other styles). But even then, I'm not going to get what I'm hearing in my head.

I made up this great arrangement of If I Were A Rich Man (Fiddler on the Roof) as a cha-cha. But the basic rhythm just drags on my PA3x. What makes the arrangement work is "percussion" fills that I would need to make up (as I hear it in my arrangement).

And that's the way I want to play. As you know, it's not just melody notes that makes a song work......it's everything else around it working together.

I'm just not going to have time. I'm still trying to learn French and how to tie my shoelaces!

BTW.....I often thought what should be done by someone is to NOT make complete styles and fills. But DO make strings of 1 or 2 measure variations of different dance rhythms that one could take as a platform to expand upon. The same with "fill's" particularly as you can then draw from a bank of them and insert them anywhere in a style. Most "fill's" will work in any style! Why throw a good "fill" into a pre-made style where you might not ever discover it.

BTW 2......thanks for the web site. I was wondering where you guys get these from?

Mark

Re: Does anyone know anything about making a style? - 01/30/15 07:32 AM

You should explore the multi-pads. Seems like they are designed to do exactly what you want.