SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#395166 - 10/25/14 06:13 PM Helping Needy Children With Music
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Today was our first day working in the Special Needs Ministry in my church. This is a ministry that is dedicated to help children and young adults who have special needs in solving problems, speech, and uncontrolled movement and much more.

Our church has purchased seven acres for the Special Needs ministry. Art and crafts, Bible study, horseback riding; three adults are assigned to each child riding the horse.

The couple heading the ministry has a 36 year old daughter who cannot physically function. Her speech is also affected, but not enough to stop telling people about her relationship with the lord. She goes from church to church telling about her life and her positive feelings.

I have been asked to supply music for their events and some of the classes. I have to keep the music simple. Most of the songs I need will be Christian (simple) and happy children’s music. Any help will be appreciated.

We had a musician on this forum that played most of his work for children, I’ve forgotten his name. If you have his name it will help, I would like to ask him for some ideas.

Thank You, John C.

#395168 - 10/25/14 06:56 PM Re: Helping Needy Children With Music [Re: bruno123]
KORG80 Offline

Hey John, I often lead fellowship with special needs adults. Pattern type songs are the key e.g.

Blessed is the name of the Lord
Holy is the name of the Lord
Jesus is the name of the Lord etc

Father we love you we worship we adore You
Glorify Your name in all the earth
Glorify Your name, Glorify Your name
Glorify Your name in all the earth ...........followed by Jesus we love
Spirit we love

Kumbaya, He's Got the Whole World In His Hands, This Is the Day

Any similar songs with lots of repetition. I sometimes write songs of that type

You might get some help from Google.

Here's an example with repetitive lyrics and actions..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJvGQwfmdQM

God Bless,
Don

#395174 - 10/26/14 01:40 AM Re: Helping Needy Children With Music [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
God bless you John.

What a wonderful use of your talent.

#395198 - 10/27/14 03:26 AM Re: Helping Needy Children With Music [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Offline

Don,
Thank you for reaching out to help, it says a lot about who you are.

Bernie,
When I walked into room and saw what I was to do I became very uncomfortable. After an hour I realized how blessed I was to be there.

I'm in the process of buying Hammer’s KMA, I’ll be using mostly because of the portability. My acoustic guitar will be all I need on some of the meetings.

What a long trip from the weddings, parties and Elks Club.
John C.

#395205 - 10/27/14 09:35 AM Re: Helping Needy Children With Music [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
John, this kind of work shows what a good man you are.

I have a connection with a music program for challenged kids that rewards me much more than the kids.

I sponsor a guitar club at an elementary school in Louisville.

I took the grandmother of a challenged child to the kids graduation from elementary school. I am her legal guardian. The child wanted me to meet Miss Hardin, her homeroom teacher. In the room, there were some very cheap guitars in poor condition. Angela (Miss Hardin) was adviser of a guitar club, which offered lessons to students. All kids have to belong to a club.

Angela and husband were finding instruments at garage sales and trying to make them playable.They were paying for the instruments and repair "out of pocket".

After meeting this great teacher, I promised 20 mew guitars, picks, stands, cases, tuners, a recording device (the last event of the semester is a recording of a Christmas song...was done on a phone; now on a Zoom H-4).

I don't think she believed me, since she had tried to get sponsors from parents, music stores, etc. And, Jasmine, the granddaughter of my ward, was no longer a student.

A week later, I delivered all above, plus a new guitar for Miss Hardin.

I now have a new lifetime friend (friends, actually...I know and love her mom and baby).

The program expanded, when another school wanted access to the equipment, and we decided to give the top two student their own guitar each semester.

I LOVE it! The kids are all developmentally challenged, but turn into captivated, interested little ones when they play.

My expectations are unbelievably low. If I can get JUST ONE KID a semester to realize that they want to explore the worlds of creative writing, film making, photography, music, dance...anything that will enrich their lives, I'm a happy guy.

I'm now supplying wireless mics to the drama club and replacing the stage curtain, which has been in place since the school was built in 1952.

While not church related, we are in similar programs, as far as the kids are concerned.

And little ones like these need all the love they can get!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/27/14 09:46 AM)

#395207 - 10/27/14 10:14 AM Re: Helping Needy Children With Music [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Offline

Hi Russ, I knew you would be posting.

I know doing what you do must cost you time and dollars, but the reward is at times far more then we deserve. When walking out of one of those classes you feel your feet do not have to touch the floor; it’s special past words.

Russ if you have songs that you use that have been effective, and you can spare the time, send me the tittles.

Life is good, John C.

#395265 - 10/29/14 11:42 AM Re: Helping Needy Children With Music [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
John, I only provided the equipment. i live in Lexington, 90 miles away.

Other than playing one fundraiser for the area for the school in general, I'm not involved in the actual lessons.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online