SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#382592 - 01/26/14 09:32 AM Trying something new
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Instead of recording to the Zoom R16 I've used the Zoom as an Audio Interface and recorded directly into Cubase, this is the first very quick attempt but to me it seems to be a crisper result, comments please.

BTW someone mention Tequila Sunrise so I thought I would give it a try.

https://app.box.com/s/yt4jl5nfrzsxz1htjib7

The style is Easy Ballad from the BK-7M

No Guitar fill's me no D Mason LOL

Col

#382598 - 01/26/14 09:47 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Nice Col.
I'm going to try that style out. Seems to fit perfectly.

#382630 - 01/26/14 12:40 PM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's the same audio converters, shouldn't be any difference at all unless you are recording 16/44 into Cubase and recording MP3 into the zoom.

I'd take off all that vocal doubling though... Yikes! Sorry, but I had to say it.

#382642 - 01/26/14 02:25 PM Re: Trying something new [Re: Diki]
Saswick Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
I'd take off all that vocal doubling though... Yikes! Sorry, but I had to say it.

Ha Ha, there's me thinking no one would notice. It was such a wobbly recording I had to cheat to make it sound "half decent" smile

The sample rate was 48kHz, Cubase will let me use 96kHz which might be interesting. I'm going to re-record it so we will see!

My previous PC was too slow to try the audio interface mode so it is a new experience, much messing about to be done.

Col

#382655 - 01/26/14 05:02 PM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

try singing it straight ...and then go back and put in the harmony if needed ..

#382656 - 01/26/14 05:06 PM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with Donny, Col. Try it straight and then add some judicious harmony in a few areas - I sincerely think it will make a huge difference. And, I really love that style - I'll have to steal that for my Yammie.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382658 - 01/26/14 05:18 PM Re: Trying something new [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I agree that is a good style.

#382669 - 01/26/14 10:46 PM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
44.1/48/96, it doesn't make ANY difference...

TBH if you want to make a CD version, use 44.1kHz

48 and 96 make you do a sample rate conversion that isn't a simple math division (use 88.2 if you MUST go higher sample rate) to convert to the 44.1 that CD's use.

But the voice has nothing much above 9kHz even for harmonics (and fundamentals only up to 900Hz or so)... male voice, that is. Check out this chart: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthre...cal-Instruments you can learn a LOT from this. So all that extra sample rate is wasted, anyway.

Overall, if you are getting a 'wobbly' sound, pin down if it's your voice or the gear. Maybe you have a mismatch between the sample rate of the converter and the sample rate Cubase is running at, maybe you don't have the audio interface's sample clock synced to Cubase (or the other way round, actually, I don't think the Zoom's can run off external clock)

If it's your voice, practice, practice, practice! Stand up while you sing. Take bigger breaths than you think you need. Relax!

Or buy a copy of Auto-Tune, LOL

#382683 - 01/27/14 01:12 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Diki]
Saswick Offline

By jove I can wind you guy's up with a bit of harmony or doubling LOL.

Let me explain my latest recording set up.

The mic goes into a small Behringer Mixer (Xenyx 802), a aux out takes a feed to the mic input on the G70 to trigger the harmony's, The main outs from the mixer go to the Zoom, inputs 1+2.

I shut down the lead voice on the G70 also the vocal effects and send the vocal from the G70 (harmony only) to the Zoom inputs 3+4 again with no effects.

This gives me two mono tracks (1+2) containing the lead voice (both tracks identical with no effects) and two mono tracks (3+4) containing left and right mono harmony voices.

The main outs from the G70 carry the bass and accompaniment the direct outs carry the drums.

I am then using 4 mono and 2 stereo tracks.

To create doubling I just nudge the second lead voice track along a few milliseconds, vary the effects a touch and pan the voices out a little.

The harmony can be applied anywhere using automation within Cubase.

With this set up all the edits, effects etc are non-destructive so it's possible to remix without a problem thereby keeping both my wife and you lot happy.

Diki: it's not the equipment it's my breathing, my lung's ain't quite as bad as Gary's (I think) but the ravages of time ....

Funny you should mention Autotune LOL

My main object now I'm no longer gigging is to improve my recording technics which involves a lot of experimentation,I also include my singing and playing if possible (the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak). I consider your comments very helpful and I feel that, slowly, very slowly I am getting there.

In the meantime I am also providing free entertainment for you Guy's who don't mind criticising my efforts if not other folk's.

All the very best, and thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.

Col

PS: Diki,thank you for the link to Polk Audio, very useful.

#382685 - 01/27/14 01:27 AM Re: Trying something new [Re: Saswick]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nice stuff, Col...I do admire your enthusiasm and attitude.

Music should be fun...I guess that's why they call it "playing".

It's nice to experiment...I'm having fun with Vocoding (using the vocoder in my Tyros4)...a nice diversion from my regular playing. It's a real hoot (sometimes literally!).

Keep them coming!

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online