SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#375014 - 11/12/13 01:27 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: ianmcnll]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I've never had any interest in DJ'ing, I'm a player.

Yes, it could be needed at certain functions, but I don't book those functions.

I also think being a good DJ is a skill...I have seen only a few very good ones, and all kinds of very bad ones.

I'll stick to playing my keyboard.

Ian

Ian

I'm a player too and pretty good I think. In a perfect world where I could pick and choose my gigs I wouldn't DJ either. I find it boring. However when they request the Cha Cha Slide or Good Girl what would you do, start searching for the right Style and sing it ?
Its the business nowadays and there are very few real players working anymore. Its all MP3 backrounds with some live (usually mot so good singing ) over it. Most parties people just want a DJ to dance to. Even the NH are getting DJ's.
I didn't make the rules, I'm just trying to play the game.

#375025 - 11/12/13 02:11 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

[quote=Bill Lewis] However when they request the Good Girl what would you do, start searching for the right Style and sing it ?
/quote]

First off the popular song on the charts today by Robin Thicke is " Blurred Lines" not "Good Girls" which are lyrics in this tune..lol..
The rest I agree with Bill to a point, give the people what they want, "mix it up big time" Live play & Dj and make lots of $$$$ or sit home and make squat! frown .......no body cares they wanna dance and hear whats on the radio at the moment at most of these gigs. Then many times turn it all around and go ballroom all night, or Latin, or old school big band too...
be very flexible. I'm glad I can do one, or both, & sing for a living,...carry on,.. cool2 Would you rather have one thing to eat on a Buffet.........or 20 different choices? wink

ya dig? cool2

Edited by Dnj (11/12/13 02:33 PM)

#375026 - 11/12/13 02:21 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

Ian

I'm a player too and pretty good I think. In a perfect world where I could pick and choose my gigs I wouldn't DJ either. I find it boring. However when they request the Cha Cha Slide or Good Girl what would you do, start searching for the right Style and sing it ?
Its the business nowadays and there are very few real players working anymore. Its all MP3 backrounds with some live (usually mot so good singing ) over it. Most parties people just want a DJ to dance to. Even the NH are getting DJ's.
I didn't make the rules, I'm just trying to play the game.

I gotcha Bill...but, I don't intend to DJ.

I agree, it is boring as hell, but I suppose if you like it, and hone the skills to a nice edge,, it probably could be lucrative and fun.

I'll leave it to those far more qualified than me...I honestly don't have the heart for it.

I get hired as a player, and they are the only jobs I do. I'm not being inflexible...I just know what I really want to do, and what I am good at, that's all. I'm a decent player, and I also know my limitations.

There's lots of work to be had as a player, whether I'm doing restaurant music, making recordings with another singer/musician, playing on stage, either solo, or backing up a singer/guitarist.

But, I see your point, and it's well understood.

Ian

#375032 - 11/12/13 02:52 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Fran

Thats one of the main reasons for getting the IPAD. Just a question, why do I need a mobile hotspot device, can't the IPad connect to the Internet by itself?? My wifes Iphone does and I was going to tell the girl booking the party that but as I said I really didn't want to be a total jukebox all night. Especially when the drinks start flowing and everyone has their own idea of what I should be doing.

Bill, I use Verizon..The mobile hot spot is a better option for me..($20 month compared to $10 month for each tablet)...and if you don't have a wifi connection the mobile works better..and any laptop can use it too..

#375034 - 11/12/13 03:02 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donnie

OK OK Blurred Lines but they always request Good Girls LOL.
The other nights job was ALL keyboard and that's rare. we're off topic now but the BK9 did a great job. I did have my DJ rig but only used it for the breaks and things went well. Sorry that's not the norm. I wish I were near you where there's lots of senior gigs or where Ian is for live gigs. One place here in Cape May uses piano music and they're swamped with players. No other restaurant, and Cape May is supposedly known for having some good ones, offers music.

Edited by Bill Lewis (11/12/13 03:02 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online