Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#369154 - 07/16/13 10:39 AM New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Full details here

Enjoy

Bill

#369163 - 07/16/13 12:41 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Got to admit, it drives me crazy watching someone have to take their hands away from playing to get the SA expression stuff triggered using the switches... It basically means you CAN'T do it if you have to change a chord there as well.

Can't you use foot switches for that stuff? That's what I'd be doing it with, anyway...

#369168 - 07/16/13 01:11 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Bill,

Marty also does a nice job this old tune, Au Privave, by Charlie Parker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq5q4vb7z3g

Superbly played, as usual.

Ian

#369169 - 07/16/13 01:33 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: Diki]
leezone Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
it drives me crazy watching someone have to take their hands away from playing to get the SA expression stuff triggered

then they should use an Audya with Ajamsonic wink

#369171 - 07/16/13 02:03 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: leezone]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: leezone
Originally Posted By: Diki
it drives me crazy watching someone have to take their hands away from playing to get the SA expression stuff triggered

then they should use an Audya with Ajamsonic wink

Hey Lee, are you as happy with your Audya (with Ajamsonic?) as Henni is with his?

I can't say I have ever seen a more enthusiastic supporter of the Audya than Henni. He is nearly bursting with admiration for the instrument.

Have you done any recordings with yours?

Ian

#369172 - 07/16/13 02:12 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Bill,

Marty also does a nice job this old tune, Au Privave, by Charlie Parker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq5q4vb7z3g

Superbly played, as usual.

Ian

That is really nice stuff ...

#369173 - 07/16/13 02:44 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: abacus]
leezone Offline

ian,

i don't own Ajamsonic
i love my Audya too
so much that I own 2 Audya's smile

it is the BEST arranger FOR ME, for my music
sounds great through my PA, so real, so punchy, loving it !!!

#369175 - 07/16/13 03:35 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: leezone]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: leezone
ian,

i don't own Ajamsonic
i love my Audya too
so much that I own 2 Audya's smile

it is the BEST arranger FOR ME, for my music
sounds great through my PA, so real, so punchy, loving it !!!

Two Audya's...how cool is that?

Lee, if I gigged as often as I did several years ago, I quite likely would have two Tyros4's...one set up at home, and one in the gig bag ready for the job. I could prepare stuff on the "at home" instrument, and load it in the 2nd keyboard via flash-drive at the venue.

Right now, one is plenty. Like you, I feel I have the proper tool for my use...the Tyros4 is certainly not the "perfect" arranger, but it is closer to being perfect for my needs than any other type, regardless of model or brand.

Like Marty above, I do not activate SA with foot-switches...I use the buttons, and assign one pedal for sustain, and the other is a Yamaha FC-7 Volume pedal, the latter being indispensable for more control over RH voice expression. I find I get enough control over SA/SA2 voices with playing technique and/or the wheels, as well as the buttons.

I also use the sustain pedal with my left foot as I find my right foot is best for using the volume pedal...too many years on organs to break the habit.

Do you use a volume pedal, or, more accurately, what pedals do you use and how are they assigned?

Are both your Audya keyboard versions? Have you considered adding Ajamsonic?

Ian

PS...I like this little showcase by Marty as well...nice subtle use of the T4's vocoder at the beginning. He is a very talented player who would sound great on any brand or model of arranger keyboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xztUzUKEVnk

#369198 - 07/16/13 09:07 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Been a while, Ian. Welcome back.

As I've pointed out when it comes to bends as well as switch activated SA2 actions, if you listen to REAL music played by real musicians, it's amazing how often those performance 'tricks' or idiomatic playing occur EXACTLY at chord boundaries. Bends are used to go across transitions probably at least as much as in the middle of chord sections. They form a way to join up one section with another, or to emphasize the change...

And this is EXACTLY when you can't use them on an arranger! Your LH absolutely HAS to make that chord change, no matter how much you'd like to bend or hit the SA switch. In fact, it's easy to test... Record just the backing. Now play the solo on the top of it. Note how often you play a bend or SA action when the chord is changing.

In fact, if you listen to Martin's fiddle playing later in the first example, when he is making 1/4 note chord changes, he is incapable of using the switch at all... and the performance realism suffers much for it. This is why this stuff is best left to footswitches. You can do them whenever you want to, not whenever your LH can spare the time...

BTW, nice hijack attempt by the Audya camp, but if I'm not mistaken, Audya has no SA/DNC/SN stuff at all, right? LOL

#369199 - 07/16/13 09:11 PM Re: New Videos of Martin Harris at The Tyros 4 [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

BTW, Ian... ever played piano? THREE pedals.

You probably handled those OK with just two feet, right? No reason to cripple your musical intent for the sake of not putting another pedal down there.

Personally, having come from an organ background, I've had 25 pedals at my feet! 26 if you count the swell pedal! I honestly don't think an FC-7, a couple of sustain pedals and a volume pedal is too difficult to run compared to walking a bassline while you play..!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online