SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#369316 - 07/18/13 10:44 PM Thumb under or thumb over?
chasbee Offline

Loc: Bristol UK.
The other day, I was searching the internet, to find the general consensus on the “thumb under” technique for playing piano. Specifically, I wanted to know the best finger to use for the pivot (please read on, it’s not rude). During this search, I came across the “thumb over” method, proposed by Chuan C Chang, in his book, “Fundamentals of piano practice.” Chang was born in Taiwan in 1938, he grew up in Japan and moved to the USA in 1958. Apparently he now lives in Odessa, Florida. This book is freely downloadable on the internet (PDF), or you can buy it at Amazon for a ridiculous price. Chang says he completed the book around 2003. I used the search function on this forum and if that is correct, the “thumb over” technique has never been discussed on Synthzone. Although Synthzone relates to Keyboard (as opposed to Piano), do any SZ members know of, or use this technique? Chang (and others), claim that thumb over is much faster for scales and arpeggios (on piano) than thumb under.

#369320 - 07/19/13 07:52 AM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I heard some talk about this technique and the author at pianoworld.com Perhaps you can try to find more information there too.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#369321 - 07/19/13 07:53 AM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chasbee ... it will be interesting to see where this thread goes, as most times people are too busy 'debating' which keyboard is better, than talking about things like piano technique ...
Not having had 'formal' piano studies, I cannot comment on your question, only to say that when I was studying accordion as a youth, I was taught the TU technique ...

#369324 - 07/19/13 08:24 AM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
Dnj Offline

Thumb Under for me...

#369326 - 07/19/13 08:33 AM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny, your thumbs are clearly OVER in the picture
smile

#369330 - 07/19/13 08:51 AM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd say, if you are still researching which thumb pivot method works best, get a teacher who's playing you like.

And, technique is all well and good up to a certain point, but personally, I'd concentrate a LOT harder on training your EARS up than your hands. Most music is far more about listening than it is about playing. Listening to yourself, listening to others, listening for voicings, listening for arrangements and orchestration, listening to sounds...

Most of the great musicians I've played with all had one thing in common - they may not have had the world's best technique, but they all listened like hawks to what was going on around them.

#369337 - 07/19/13 10:23 AM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I had many years of formal training, both with Royal Conservatory and Yamaha Music, so am a confirmed "thumb under" kind of player.

It will be interesting to how (or perhaps, why) some will feel one is better than the other.

Ian

#369340 - 07/19/13 11:00 AM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA

#369346 - 07/19/13 12:23 PM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't even know what you're talking about. Left hand? Right hand? Both hands? I'm too lazy to google it and whatever I'm doing I'm most likely not gonna change unless it makes a big difference without a lot of work.
smile
DonM

#369347 - 07/19/13 12:47 PM Re: Thumb under or thumb over? [Re: chasbee]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Just play without worrying about the mechanics. Most of the truly gifted musicians and performers had no years and years of formal training.

They did what Diki said, they listened to others and then played what sounded good to them, not whether they placed the "correct" finger on a key, pad, string, fret whatever!!

The people who are technically brilliant, usually (to me anyway) are pretty boring in anything other than finger control and technique - there is usually none of "them" in a performance.

Thumb over or thumb under? Who cares, just play the damn keyboard wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online