SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#352273 - 10/06/12 01:49 PM Second keyboard with arranger gigs...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have been playing more arranger gigs, due to some physical problems making it hard to play left-handed bass.

To keep things interesting, I use a 2nd (sometimes a third) keyboard to vary the final sounds.

Sometimes, I use an old XB-2 on the bottom, plus a Motion Sound top box to play B-3 sounds (plus dopler) and endings using a manually played bass line.

Other times, I use either a little NP-30 piano or other digital piano on my right hand, or an SH-201 synth on top (sometimes both).

Since I use an 8 channel Yamaha PA, it's generally just a matter of an extra chord to connect and a different stand (extra stand, if I use a right hand piano).

It keeps things interesting and permits me to customize the sound for the venue (restaurants are where I use more straight piano sounds-lite jazz jobs are ideal for the XB-2).

Most of my jobs are repeats...house jobs or at least Friday and Saturday nights, so that makes the move easier (plus, my two boys move and hook up for me).

For variety, I also use at least two guitars (a nylon for bossas-quiet jazz and a larger jazz box for conventional standards) on the better paying gigs. It's fun to just cycle through the 40 or so guitars in my "player" assortment. And that adds variety people seem to enjoy.

Just a suggestion. Try it....you might like it!

Russ

(PS-arrangers used are STILL the MS-60..love those old dinosaurs...or an SD-5).

#352276 - 10/06/12 03:51 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I used to take a lightweight 88 key, weighted action Yamaha P-85 Piano along with my arranger to some gigs that required a bit of solo piano...mainly corporate dinners, or sometimes certain restaurant gigs. I midi'd it to the S910 I had, and used the piano sounds in the latter, as it had slightly better Live! Grand Piano, plus the Rhodes emulations were also more satisfactory and more varied...I used to sometimes layer piano and strings.

I played left hand (and foot pedal) bass for many years, but now I am content to let the arranger do all the work...especially with today's style accompaniments that really have lots of liveliness and variety in them. Some of the swing/bebop styles have incredible bass-lines.

You sure have a lot of guitars, Russ...of course, many say that "one can never have too many guitars" wink. Having those choices, and easily at hand, must be a real pleasure on a gig.

Ian

#352283 - 10/06/12 08:21 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
It's fun to just cycle through the 40 or so guitars in my "player" assortment. And that adds variety people seem to enjoy.

Captain Russ,
I know you are mainly a jazz guy but I'm curious if you have a 1987 surf green Strat Plus in your collection, or rather if you'd like to add one if you haven't.
I am considering selling mine which I bought new in '87 to help me with the purchase of the new PSR S950.
It is not mint or even excellent condition but rather a Very Good condition "player" guitar. One to use not hang on a wall and stare at. If interested let me know. I have been seriously thinking about it a lot as I only play it a few songs per gig these days, and don't see myself ever playing it predominently as I once did and I figure I can get by with a mexican strat these days.

I'd add a picture but I'm not sure how to.

#352302 - 10/07/12 10:53 AM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I am going to start using two keyboard set ups...not because I have too...but because I love the concept of "no compromise"...

I will use the Roland g70 for it'sadvantages,,,76 semi weighted keys, flexible stage friendliness...mic and harmonizer....

I will also use the Roland BK5, for it's great media player...new drum kits, and extra SRX sounds...

The G70 also has an SRX board installed, allowing the superior sounds...

I know a lot of folks here like the concept of different manufacturers..but I like compatible sound sources..If I liked the Korg or Yamaha sounds..I would still own one ....so why combine them.. grin

Set up is not a big deal..only a couple minutes extra time needed.and to haul an extra keyboard...the Rock n roller cart doesn't care... smile

#352308 - 10/07/12 02:43 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
Fran Carango Offline

#352309 - 10/07/12 02:59 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Oh My.. confused2 coffee

#352312 - 10/07/12 09:07 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I've always felt that, if you are going to have a two keyboard rig, that they should be from different manufacturers. TBH, although the BK5 adds some new kits and tones, it isn't enough to warrant being added to a G70 IMHO. There's just altogether too much that sounds pretty much identical.

I think a Korg or a Yamaha would make the better companion, at least EVERY sound would be different. And, because of the totally unnecessary roadblocks to dual arranger operation the manufacturers seem hell-bent on continuing to put up, I can't honestly recommend two arrangers. I would always feel stymied by the fact that I would have to chose ONE arranger as the style backing, no matter which one is producing RH sounds. No two different manufacturers make it possible to integrate full arranger operation from one keyboard. Codes to change Variations, trigger Fills and Intro/Endings, Break-Fill/Mutes, Transpose commands and most regular arranger features are quite unique to each manufacturer, and you are not given the option to change them...

So, in fairness, I would go with a modern WS/Loop player. For starters, their MIDI implementations are often flexible enough to set up reception of the arranger codes they might be able to use. Secondly, their sounds tend to be a lot more contemporary, and often of higher quality than many arrangers. And lastly (for now!), the loop and arp capabilities (for instance, Karma on Korg's or the chord following arps on Yamaha's) can add a tremendous amount of modern flava and attitude to an arranger's style output with minimal work.

I can see Russ's viewpoint of adding in only minimal sounds to an arranger rig, but unless your needs are so tightly regulated, why not go the extra step and add in a keyboard that not only does the organ and piano chores better than your arranger, but one that does so much more, too?

Edited by Diki (10/07/12 09:08 PM)

#352329 - 10/08/12 08:04 AM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Well that's great Diki.....now you talked me into using my MS with the G70... mad

#352332 - 10/08/12 08:36 AM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I've been throwing around the idea of using my XK-1 with the MicroArranger. This conversation has convinced me to finally give it a try. Thanks everyone.

#352356 - 10/08/12 01:32 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Who wants to carry all that gear to a gig?...not me surprised ....the days of shlepping 4 KBs stacked TO SHOWS day after day setting up & breaking down is FAR GONE FOR ME AND GOOD RIDDENS...!! mad
I'm a One Kb man now dance2 ...for my needs that all I need. cool2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online