SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#352403 - 10/09/12 05:01 AM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I definitely lament the demise of the rack synth. TBH, I am surprised, with the modern economy, that these aren't MORE popular now than ever. I would definitely be interested in a rack Kronos, or even just a rack Hammond or more modern Nord.

Admittedly, my G70 isn't the ideal controller, as the sliders and knobs can't be programmed to send whatever you want (but my K2500 can), but it sure beats schlepping an MS! Actually, just kidding, Fran..! As an addition to a decent arranger, the MS is amazing. It's just a shame Dom could never turn it into an acceptable arranger...

But the new Integra7 module from Roland, for maybe a Tyros user or PA3X owner would add in all the Roland flava with minimal extra gear to haul. But truth is, as I don't use MP3's, my G70 still does all the job I REALLY need. Sure, I'd love some extra stuff, but it's still doing the job, and has paid for itself (both of them, really!) so many times over, I can't complain.

Studio-wise, though, I am pretty well set up. A Roland, a Korg and a Kurzweil pretty much cover it all, and VSTi's cover the rest. Life is good!

#352516 - 10/10/12 09:51 AM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
While the Surf Fender sounds GREAT (I played Surf Guitar in southern California with my 59 Strat-now worth about $25,000.00 in the early 60's-Shared stages with Dick Dale, The Beach boys, Jan and Dean, etc.), I'm trying to raise a major donation to the New Orleans Habitat project and am attempting to cull some of the 312 string instruments I have. I want to keep the basics, and so far, the "basics" number about 50 (LOL)!

Actually, I have one historic guitar-one like it sold for $249,000.00 several years ago. Care to guess what it is?

You're right...with quality control, the simple but effective design of Fenders and modern automated manufacturing technology, I see nothing at all wrong with Mexican Fender instruments for daily players.

Gave away several guitars last year and left a few in my will to other close friends....thought I'd had my left foot amputated LOL!

I plan to build an inner city recreation/music facility with the proceeds of the "big" liquidation effort. Naturally, I'll have to purchase....you guessed it....MORE INSTRUMENTS for the music program.

This way, I won't have too much separation anxiety from the sale. Honestly, many of the pieces in the collection (around 100) haven't been played in 10 years or more and just cost a lot of bread to maintain.

The center is a project I am really looking forward to doing...kind of what I want to be remembered by.

Russ

#352523 - 10/10/12 12:28 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Thank you Capt. Russ for your reply. I have a huge respect for your community service. Hats off to you.
And I wish you great success in your endeaver.
Please keep us here up to date on how this proceeds.
Also, hope for your continued good health.
I'm sure we would all rather know you than to "remember" you.

#352524 - 10/10/12 12:30 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: OldNewb]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Oh, I wanted to mention I was recently down through parts of Kentucky for the first time. A truly beautiful area of the country.

#352529 - 10/10/12 01:09 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: OldNewb]
captain Russ Offline

Thanks so much! What a sensitive and kind thing to say!

Actually, my health is pretty good, but at a certain age (I'm 68), you want to be prepared for anything.

I still work 100 hours a week at the office (film, sound-score production, graphics, photography, communication research), teach two University level classes, run a family trust (214 employees...rental property, three farms and several convenience stores), play 6-8 weeks overseas (Dubai), do 200 plus private playing jobs and maintain three rental properties in Lexington.

The time just seems right to do more for others. I do one job per week and donate the fee to my favorite charity. The people hiring me get a tax deduction, if needed, and that adds about $15,000.00 annually to the coffers of a well-deserving organization dedicated to the welfare of the 25,000 "forgotten" Kentuckians in nursing homes.

I have been so lucky in my lifetime, and music has been a big part of that. Besides, it's GREAT to see that look of wonder on a young person's face when they first begin to play.

Russ

#352534 - 10/10/12 01:55 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Motorcycles, airplanes and horses probably don't earn me a very high place on longevity tables (LOL)!

R.

#352537 - 10/10/12 02:42 PM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Motorcycles, airplanes and horses probably don't earn me a very high place on longevity tables (LOL)!

R.

Don't worry about it Russ. Remember, we're supposed to be here for a GOOD time, not a LONG time. BTW, hope you got the latest NOLA HH newsletter. They're doing some good things down there. I just sent in the latest installment of my committment but still have not been able to get down there. Hopefully, soon.

chas

#352606 - 10/11/12 11:38 AM Re: Second keyboard with arranger gigs... [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

You're a good man, Chas...I'll keep that a secret...don't want to soften your image (LOL)!

R.
P.S. I'd like to talk about any contacts you have at Habitat. I'm thinking a directed gift might have to be discussed with them. Previously, I've just sent checks, but this one will be in the neighborhood of $250K, so I'd like to be able to know a little more bout the plans and my participation.

Edited by captain Russ (10/11/12 11:41 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online