SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#323209 - 04/30/11 07:19 AM More S910 problems
Beakybird Offline

I just got one S910 out of repair with a problem with the mic signal going in and out. The technician said that he repaired the solder. It was $59.

Right after I got that one back, I had a gig ruined by my other S910 not working. None of the buttons would light up or work. I turned it on and off and reset the OS to no avail. When I brought the keyboard home, it worked fine time after time. Yamaha technical support said that it was probably a component on the main board but not the main board itself.

I was going to bring that S910 in for repair on Monday.

Then Thursday at a gig, I had the same problem with the mic going in and out. I tried a different mic cable, and I had the same problem. This was a small gig, and I accidentally brought in a second speaker. I went straight from the mic into the second speaker, and I didn't have a problem.

I brought the keyboard in and asked them to see if they missed something. They tested it, took it apart. They said it worked perfectly and never failed on them. The technician said that he couldn't think of anything that would be causing the problem.

What am I to do? I'm thinking of getting a third S910 so that I can be sure that one works. I would sell one of the two after it gets out of repair.

Maybe I should get an outboard mixer and reverb unit in case the mic input fails again. I don't know what to do.

#323213 - 04/30/11 09:45 AM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It looks like it would be wise to scrap the s910 boards and use a Tyros...I have to beleive there is a big difference in quality...Appearance wise it sure looks to be better made..and horror stories like yours confirms it..

Sell off the s910(s) and pick up a Tyros4...

PS: don't sell the s910 to any SZ friends smile

#323217 - 04/30/11 11:46 AM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

The S910 is more then gig worthy...don't let anyone say different. Depending on how it's used tings can happen with any electronic item on the market.....sheeeesh I remember having to change all the buttons on my G1000 years ago also!... doesn't anyone understand that a mere $1700.00 investment, etc, brings a profit to a pro gigger using it many, many, many, times over, thru the years so what's a little service once in a while IF needed? Treat your gear with TLC and it will serve you well.
Or you can carry around something like the G70 and pay your Chiropractor...your choice.. wink rolleyes

#323223 - 04/30/11 12:54 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Come on...that used G1000 you bought was used as a boat anchor in Lake Erie.....and you didn't replace all the buttons..they were button contact covers smile

I used the G1000 for more than 9 years..played it everyday, without a single failure...Now that is a documented thumbs up clap

Look at folks are saying/selling about their PSR keyboards ..for every Gary or Donny (success stories)..there are legitament concerns..I have read at least a dozen folks that had problems with the lower Yamaha keyboards(just on SZ)...so we can't rule out that the PSR are not made for the road..That is why they sell over priced Tyros smile

It's not like you didn't have to repair key contacts on your older PSR models...they just are not made as well as they could be.. grin

#323225 - 04/30/11 01:07 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Well the sound more then makes up for any design flaws vs anything else on the market. A heavy metal Kb's doesn't necessarily translate to a better sounding unit as we can hear in may posted demos. There is not much difference in design material with the PSR/Tyros line of arrangers....plastic is plastic. Treat it right and enjoy the wonderful sound it offers. Heavy is fine for a studio setting...lightweight units just make sense for the "on the go" traveling performer in my book. Most likely a laptop/iPad, etc.. & a light weight controller KB will be all you ever need.

Carry On

Edited by Dnj (04/30/11 01:07 PM)

#323226 - 04/30/11 01:36 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Then why charge twice as much money for the Tyros? smile

#323228 - 04/30/11 01:45 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
Fran Carango Offline

I'll answer my own question smile

There is a difference in design and how they are assembled..even though they may both be plastic..I would think there are better quality components..

Also comparing the difference in the Roland line...there is a difference between say an E60 and a E80..you can hear the difference in the samples and output..Not just weight..I would also suggest the added weight must be the design factor and quality componets in the E80 that are not in the E60...They are both 61 keys with speakers ....why nearly twice the weight? It has to factor in..

I would suggest comparing the PS910 to the Tyros model..may be similar differences as my Roland example...Think about it? smile

#323229 - 04/30/11 01:51 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'd say Beaky is just working more often than most PSR arranger players, and in fact, probably a lot more than most of the arranger players here on SZ.

And, I can understand why he is, because he puts on a totally professional show.

Sorry to hear about your problems, Larry, I hope you get them resolved quickly. Problems with the PSR-S910 are very rare, according to my reports, but they do happen. Contact me if I can be of any help.

Ian

#323231 - 04/30/11 01:56 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Of course there are internal differences to substantiate the price...but us mortals will never know what they truly are. cool
Bottom line is this, what ever you pay for an electronic instrument it has the propensity to fail in some way or another at times.

#323233 - 04/30/11 02:08 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Donny, all instruments have the potential to fail...I have heard of problems with Korg PA-series, Roland G-70/E-80/60/50, and with PSR and Tyros.

No companies are immune. Just visit their respective forums, and you will quickly learn they all can have problems.

Rather than offer help, or at the very least, some empathy, Fran is only taking Beaky's problem and using it as an opportunity to bash the product.

I thought Fran had more couth than that...but, sometimes I'm wrong.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online