SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#323238 - 04/30/11 03:15 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I suggested Larry to use a Tyros..how is that slamming Yamaha?

Facts are facts..the PSR s910 is not holding up for him...

So you are saying the s910 is as good as the Tyros?

BTW: give me the link to all the G70/E80 malfunctions and problems...I can only go by experience.. smile

#323239 - 04/30/11 03:21 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
124 Offline

Couth. Forsooth! Now there's a word.

Right on, Ian. The first law of thermodynamics puts everything in its place sooner or later.

#323241 - 04/30/11 03:47 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Fran, I'm simply pointing out what you're doing...that's all...stop trying to hide behind the tiny bit of so-called advice you think you're giving Larry.

The S910 is in a different price range than the Tyros...if Larry wanted a Tyros, he would have bought one in the first place.

My point is that any product can fail...and yes, the G-70 can fail...one of my clients had one that gave nothing but trouble from the time she bought it, till the time she sold it and bought another product.

And yes, the S910 is as good as the Tyros, based on each instrument's intended purpose in the product line.

Ian

#323243 - 04/30/11 03:59 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: ianmcnll]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Agree. If something is more expensive doesn't necessary mean it can't get broken or malfuction. I played the psr series for years from cheap to expensive and never had any problem with them.

#323244 - 04/30/11 04:12 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: FransN]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: FransN
Agree. If something is more expensive doesn't necessary mean it can't get broken or malfuction. I played the psr series for years from cheap to expensive and never had any problem with them.

+1

#323255 - 04/30/11 08:26 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
Beakybird Offline

There are different factors besides the build of a keyboard that can contribute to it breaking down.

1. Frequency of use
2. How it's stored when not in use
3. How it's treated while in use
4. Luck

It's true that I do many shows per year. I don't bang the keyboard around or splash water on it. I store it in a gig bag with extra padding on the top and on the sides. The ideal would be to store the keyboard in a hardshell case. Nevertheless, the keyboards look almost brand new.

When not in use, the keyboard I gig with is left in the trunk of my car resting on top of the keyboard stand. While I let it warm up before use in the winter, it is subject to many temperature variations and bumps while in the trunk.

It doesn't surprise me that under these circumstances that my keyboard would break down. What upsets me is that both my keyboards are having subtle, hard to pinpoint intermittent problems at the same time.

Two years ago, one of my S900's needed a $425 repair, $300 of which was covered by Mastercard's extended warranty.

Today, I took the keyboard that was having the mic problem to a gig, and it didn't give me any trouble.

I'm going to get a mixer in case the mic input stops working again. In the meantime, I'm going to get the other keyboard repaired, and I'm going to consult with Yamaha about what could have caused the mic to have this problem because the Yamaha authorized technicians had no idea.

BTW, a Tyros probably is more sturdy. But it is a lot more expensive, and I really rely on the onboard speakers that the PSRs have.

#323257 - 04/30/11 08:53 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Six years of gigging nearly seven days a week with a PSR-3000 and the only failure(s) I've experienced were a worn out USB host jack and a worn out MIDI connector. Never had a keypad failure or any other failure.

My spare PSR-3000 went into service just two days ago, and today, after a $75 repair, it becomes a spare again. I have a spare key strip hanging on my bulletin board that has been hanging there for three years--just in case. I'm confident that I transport, set up, tear down and perform more than 95-percent of all the OMB performers in my part of the world. From my standpoint, the PSR series of keyboards are pure workhorses and with reasonable care they'll last longer than the performers. If you pound on the keys like Jerry Lee and punch the buttons with a ball-peen hammer, NO arranger keyboard will last very long. I've had guys here that claimed they are gentle on their keyboards. But, when you look at their boards the paint is worn off around the volume control, half the buttons have been mashed flat, the keys are filthy, the displays have finger prints on them, and there are scratches everywhere you look. You would be hard pressed to find a single scratch on any keyboard I've owned during the past 20 years.

Now, I've never seen Larry perform, though I would love to be in one of his audiences, therefore I cannot make a judgement call on how he treats his keyboards. I can say, however, with a fair degree of authority and experience, that there have been some Yamaha, and other brands, that have not been constructed to the highest standards--including the S-900 and S-910. Having owned a G-800, a couple Korgs, some off the wall brands, and some that are no longer in business, I can unequivocally say that overall I prefer Yamaha's sounds and operating system over all the other brands.

I sincerely hope that Larry has his problems quickly and inexpensively resolved,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#323275 - 05/01/11 07:18 AM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Larry:

So sorry to hear about all these 910 problems. It has been on my object of desire list for quite some time... and this could certainly tip me into another direction. Please keep us informed about your progress... or lack of it. Thanks for caring enough to share this bad news with us.

Dave

#323276 - 05/01/11 07:23 AM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Riceroni9
Larry:

So sorry to hear about all these 910 problems. It has been on my object of desire list for quite some time... and this could certainly tip me into another direction. Please keep us informed about your progress... or lack of it. Thanks for caring enough to share this bad news with us.

Dave

Dave ...go for it ..S910 is one of the BEST Arranger KB's on the market !

#323312 - 05/01/11 02:58 PM Re: More S910 problems [Re: Beakybird]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I've gotta agree with Donny on this one. I've had PSR 2000, 3000, s900 and now s910. Dollar for dollar the s910 has been the best sounding and prforming keyboard of the bunch. I've had it fall off my cart a couple of times and it hasn't scratched, dented, cracked or had any electronic problems.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online