SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300597 - 12/10/10 10:17 AM OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If everything works out OK, I'll be taking possession of a 33 Morgan Out Island sailboat at the end of next week. This is a big step up from the 27 Catalina I currently own. The 33 is very comfortable, built for ocean cruising, has every imaginable commodity onboard and quite spacious.

My plan is to partially retire in 2012. I'll be 72 years old and hopefully, still in relatively good health. If my health doesn't deteriorate, I figure on setting up a light playing schedule in Maryland from May through early October, which is essentially most of the summer months. In early October, the music gear and provisions will be loaded aboard the boat, the sails raised, the a leisurely trip will be made down the ICW, or the Atlantic Coast if the weather allows, to Marathon Key, Florida, where I hope to be playing the dockside Tiki bars during the height of their tourist season, which is November through April.

Naturally, I have planned several side trips to the Dry Tortugas, Bahama Islands, BVI and a few other locations. Might even sail to Tony Rome's place for a couple days of fun in the sun and the world's best snorkeling.

Of course, my loving spouse of nearly a half-century thinks I'm completely out of my mind. Who knows, she may be right. Of course, she may also opt to go with me and bask in the tropics for the winter instead of clearing snow from the sidewalk and driveway, which is a killer task most years.

Attached are a few photos of the boat.

The above photos are from a boat in Florida, but the one I'm getting is nearly identical, but has teak interior decks and a little more teak trim inside and outside. The boat also is equipped with air conditioning, refrigeration and heat.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#300598 - 12/10/10 10:27 AM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Wow, that is awesome Gary! Will you take me, Daddy? A spin around the block would do. Actually, I've never been sailing! Except for one spin in a tiny sunfish. I think we had to paddle back to shore cuz we didn't know how to sail, haha. But she was purty, so, I didn't mind.

#300599 - 12/10/10 10:31 AM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi Gary

Looks very, very good; and your plans sounds very, very good too.

Don't forget to visit US Virgin Islands, which is a former Danish territorium. US bought the islands in 1917 for 25,000,000 $. These islands are "Our Lost Paradise".

I was there in 2008. Look at my photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/jososoft/DanskVestindienUSVirginIslands#slideshow

Wish I were there right now. Much snow and 0 centigrade in Denmark right now. Brrrrr.....

Best wishes
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#300600 - 12/10/10 10:51 AM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
ahhh. the good life... how sweet it must be. Imprpressive pics. Gar, you certainly have earned it. Enjoy! - Scott

#300601 - 12/10/10 11:00 AM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
travlin'easy Offline

Jorgen,

I'm hoping the U.S. Virgin Islands will also be on my itinerary as well. Great photos, and I sure wish I was there right now. The temperature here last night was 13-degrees-f last night and snow is forecast for Monday. I hate winter in this part of the world.

Gary

#300602 - 12/10/10 11:21 AM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Gary. Sounding good...nice boat.
QUESTION. Don't wait until 2012...DO IT NOW whilst you are able.

a Chinese gentleman once told me to retire early as he stated...Remember you can't buy time !!!

#300603 - 12/10/10 12:05 PM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
travlin'easy Offline

Bill,

You're welcome to go with me anytime you wish.

Graham,

I would have semi-retired in 2011, but the boat didn't become available until early November. Unfortunately, by that time I had already booked all of 2011 through to January 2012. I always keep my promises, and of course that includes commitments to my music accounts. I've been very fortunate throughout my musical career and over the years have developed a great relationship with all of my accounts. I've already informed them of my plans, and they've been very supportive. Some, however, think I'm too young to cut back and wish I would continue my current schedule, which is out of the question.

Thanks again everyone,

Gary

#300604 - 12/10/10 12:36 PM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, Wow, nice boat!! Congratulations, now I know why you kept your PSR3000s save that money for the home away from home. Best of luck to you............and who know in a couple of years I'll be able to keep the plans that fell thru earlier this year for a move to Florida. If that happens you can sail right by my front yard and pay us a visit. Of course, if you find the time you could always sail north to Newport and Block Island Sound.

#300605 - 12/10/10 12:52 PM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
travlin'easy Offline

Newport and Block Island Sound would be a neat trip for this coming summer. I'll have to calculate the time frame and see if it will fit into the schedule.

Thanks for the invitation,

Gary

#300606 - 12/10/10 02:56 PM Re: OT: I'm Movin' On UP...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Gary,

All I can say is wow!!! I know that boat and it's perfect for what you want to do. The only thing I question is your trip to the Virgins. You do know that they are almost 1000 miles from South Florida and you would be sailing directly into the trades. Not fun! A more favorable route would be sailing out to sea from North Carolina and then sailing down on a beam reach. Anyway, congrats on the new boat. I can't wait to see it.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online