SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#297637 - 10/25/10 05:07 PM If I pull the trigger...
ytlevine Offline

I've been using a PSR-3000 for a while, and used a friends Tyros3 for a few weeks, and been loving it.
I play some gigs, and I'm trying to get into doing more performances, but for now, I do a lot of my own composing and recording.
I've been going back and forth about finally upgrading to a Tyros, and I would probably get the T4 now that it's out, instead of getting an older T3.
I've considered going with Korg, but for my style music, I think I'm best off with Yamaha.
The thing is, if I do pull the trigger now, I probably won't upgrade to a T5 if/when it comes out, unless I can sell off the T4 at a pretty high price, and not have to pay too much for the T5.
I pushed off thinking about upgrading until the T4 came out, once I heard some rumors about it, since it is never worth it to buy a keyboard, and then hear that a new one is coming out, with a price close to what you paid for your soon to be outdated model.
So the question is (and since no one has really any clue what the T5 might have, it might not really be answerable), should I be pulling the trigger now to get a T4?
Or might it be worth it to wait the ~2 years for the T5 to come out?
Personally, I am using mostly custom styles of my own and made by others, so better styles don't really matter to me.
Better sounds and drums would be nice (SA3 anyone?), but the new choir sounds don't really do much for me, since I don't use those types of sounds. I use the guitar, woodwind (sax, flute, etc), and brass sounds a lot, and a decent amount of piano, keyboard, and string sounds.
And even if they were to come out with 76 keys, I wouldn't specifically wait for that (though I'm not saying that the extra room wouldn't be nice, but I'm used to 61 keys).
So basically, any speculation of what could be added into the T5, and if there's any reason to wait?
Thanks a lot!!

#297638 - 10/25/10 05:40 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hmmm. ytlevine: Can't speak for you, but as a still satisfied Tyros2 owner, I'm going to (try to) wait till the next gen Korg arr comes out first to compare it with Tyros4.

My feeling is that though each Tyros release improves on the last, the Tyros sound engine remains distinctly Yamaha Tyros, so keep thinking it might be nice for a diffferent (more Korg 'alive' vs 'cd produced') sound, especially if Korg comes up with something arranger kb revolutionary, like adding Karma features and/or M3 sounds, which would up the competition ante against T4. Though I'm able to settle with 61 notes, If Korg's able to include 76 keys in the case size of the PA800, that would be heaven to me! The problem now is whether I've got the patience to wait till the next Korg release (Feb/Mar 2011?) before upgrading. - Scott

#297639 - 10/25/10 06:11 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ytlevine:
I've been using a PSR-3000 for a while, and used a friends Tyros3 for a few weeks, and been loving it.
I play some gigs, and I'm trying to get into doing more performances, but for now, I do a lot of my own composing and recording.
I've been going back and forth about finally upgrading to a Tyros, and I would probably get the T4 now that it's out, instead of getting an older T3.
I've considered going with Korg, but for my style music, I think I'm best off with Yamaha.
The thing is, if I do pull the trigger now, I probably won't upgrade to a T5 if/when it comes out, unless I can sell off the T4 at a pretty high price, and not have to pay too much for the T5.
I pushed off thinking about upgrading until the T4 came out, once I heard some rumors about it, since it is never worth it to buy a keyboard, and then hear that a new one is coming out, with a price close to what you paid for your soon to be outdated model.
So the question is (and since no one has really any clue what the T5 might have, it might not really be answerable), should I be pulling the trigger now to get a T4?
Or might it be worth it to wait the ~2 years for the T5 to come out?
Personally, I am using mostly custom styles of my own and made by others, so better styles don't really matter to me.
Better sounds and drums would be nice (SA3 anyone?), but the new choir sounds don't really do much for me, since I don't use those types of sounds. I use the guitar, woodwind (sax, flute, etc), and brass sounds a lot, and a decent amount of piano, keyboard, and string sounds.
And even if they were to come out with 76 keys, I wouldn't specifically wait for that (though I'm not saying that the extra room wouldn't be nice, but I'm used to 61 keys).
So basically, any speculation of what could be added into the T5, and if there's any reason to wait?
Thanks a lot!!

Lemme get this straight. The Yamaha Tyros 4 just came out and you're asking if you should wait for the T5? Heck, man, that is 2 years! Do u really understand this game? We are dying! Haha. But, really... seriously... what the hell r u waiting 4?

#297640 - 10/25/10 06:43 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
ytlevine Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Lemme get this straight. The Yamaha Tyros 4 just came out and you're asking if you should wait for the T5? Heck, man, that is 2 years! Do u really understand this game? We are dying! Haha. But, really... seriously... what the hell r u waiting 4?

Ha
I tried explaining so y'all would understand where I'm coming from, but I probably left out a couple details, so here's a bit more of an explanation...
I'm not in a specific rush to go out and upgrade, and in fact, I may only really start performing nightly around the time that the T5 should come out.
And being that I don't plan on being able to afford to plunk down money on keyboard upgrades twice in a row (hey, would be nice if I am raking it in by then, but being probably one of the youngest here doesn't help me get started and get gigs, let alone make enough to justify pulling the trigger on two back to back keyboards ), I'm trying to decide if I should maybe pull the trigger now, or wait until I really can't use my PSR3000, and start gigging nightly, and then go for the upgrade.
I still love the 3000, and don't plan on selling that off, but once I've played the T3, it's kinda hard to go back and use the 3000 and not miss the sounds and key feel of the T3 (among other things).
I wish Yamaha (or Steve Deming) would kinda weigh in and give us an idea of what Yamaha might focus on for the next keyboard.
Unless they're too scared to step in here lest they be attacked by the 76 key debate.
And no, I'm not requesting that debate to continue below...

[This message has been edited by ytlevine (edited 10-25-2010).]

#297641 - 10/25/10 07:45 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
If your a relatively young guy...waiting would be fine...if your an old geeser like me (62) get the darn thing tommorrow and enjoy it.

Oh, one other thing...if you ride motorcycles get it tomorow too! :-)

Lee S.

#297642 - 10/25/10 08:15 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
zuki Offline

Yes, go for it. Part of growing old is bragging about who HAD the most toys

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#297643 - 10/25/10 08:49 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
ytlevine Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
If your a relatively young guy...waiting would be fine...if your an old geeser like me (62) get the darn thing tommorrow and enjoy it.

Oh, one other thing...if you ride motorcycles get it tomorow too! :-)

Lee S.

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Yes, go for it. Part of growing old is bragging about who HAD the most toys

Problem is that I'm too young (22) to grow old yet
At least my age, I get some respect, because there are people younger...

#297644 - 10/25/10 08:56 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
Dnj Offline

keep playing the 3k....use the money for college.

#297645 - 10/25/10 09:19 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
ytlevine Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
keep playing the 3k....use the money for college.

I might be able to get someone to get me a new keyboard as a gift, it's just a question when
And I'm not planning on going to college as of now, been doing media and online/web app and programming work on my own.

#297646 - 10/25/10 09:34 PM Re: If I pull the trigger...
Dnj Offline

ask your self this....

"What can I do with the T4 that I can't do with the 3k?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online