SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#282267 - 02/26/10 07:16 PM Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I just bought a small mixer model number XENYX 802.

It doesnt have an on/of switch.
I have literally searched all over this unit and cannot find a way of switching it on or off other than pulling the power chord straight out.

Am I missing something here??

Nick the confused.

#282268 - 02/26/10 07:17 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No. No switch.

#282269 - 02/27/10 02:15 AM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
I just bought a small mixer model number XENYX 802.

It doesnt have an on/of switch.
I have literally searched all over this unit and cannot find a way of switching it on or off other than pulling the power chord straight out.

Am I missing something here??

Nick the confused.

No Don is right they don't put one on, funny but not very safe, go away on hoilday and there's a fault and the house might not be there when you get back, only suggestion is make up a supply lead with an inline switch near to the back of the mixer and then turn it off when you are finsihed, mine the blue power LED light the room up look like an intruder alarm is on! German engineering is it!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#282270 - 02/27/10 08:12 AM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Lots of electronics no longer come with a power switch. The best option is to plug this stuff into a surge protector, which provides you with some protection from surges, and has an on/off switch and indicator lamp. The other option is to install an inexpensive, inline power switch.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#282271 - 02/27/10 08:51 AM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Worries of the small power unit causing a fire are unwarranted.

Check the power unit for the UL, CSA, etc. listing.

The supplies are designed with internal fusing such that the worst-case scenario would simply result in a nonworking wallwart when you returned home from that vacation.

FWIW -- I have a Behringer Eurorack UB-802 here that also has no Power Switch. It has been turned on and running continually for going on five years. Of course, my entire studio chain runs from a UPS and Power Conditioner here.

I also have Mic Preamps in the studio that I NEVER turn off, preferring to keep them at operating temperature at all times so that whenever I wish to use them, I don't have to suffer through the thermal noise of tube or solid state circuit warmup. A common practice, actually, that is also used with equipments that must be kept at a calibrated point as well.

Temperature cycling and the resulting expansion/contraction involved, can often be the creator of circuit problems. Leaving units that draw very small amounts of power, such as that little Berry mixer, turned on all the time may just contribute to a longer mean lifetime before failure for the unit, provided you have properly "massaged" AC power available.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#282272 - 02/27/10 05:02 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
I have 4 Behringer 9024's for YEARS and none of those have an on/off switch.

I can't remember the exact details but there is information in the manual as to why they don't need a switch and it has something to do with load protection.

Wish everything else in my Studio was the same actually.

#282273 - 02/28/10 01:30 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There a reason (several, really) why things need power switches. Firstly, a power switch allows YOU to choose the order that things get powered on. Imagine if everyone took Behringer's cost cutting measure (there's really no other way to look at it) and failed to provide power switches. Everything comes on at the same time, usually putting a nice pop through your speakers, and a nice sag in the power voltage.

And, in case no-one noticed, there's a movement to try to cut our dependence on fossil fuels and nuclear power. Turning off what doesn't absolutely need to be on all the time saves energy (and you money), and, in the end, you are STILL going to have to switch it off SOMEWHERE... All Behringer are doing is making you pay for a separate switch, rather than, like just about every other make of mixer (including budget ones), including one so YOU have the option what to switch off.

So now, when you look at the price of a Behringer mixer, factor in the cost of a power strip as well...

What's next? Maybe drop volume controls on our arrangers? I mean, we got a fader on our mixers, don't we?

#282274 - 02/28/10 01:58 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Diki.

Your just assuming they remove the switch which is not the case at all. There is an automatic switch inside and there is a cross bar system in place that also prevents popping of the speakers and overload.

The Switch sounds like some sort of magnet relay and there is a second or so delay from the time you supply power before the internal switch kicks in and before my 9024's power up.

It's a really good system and something that's very popular in Recording Studio's. Many Rack Mountable Power Conditioners offer this very same function. You just plug into them and leave everything you own switched on. When you switch on the Rack Strip, it then powers up everything in one go.

Very cool feature that eliminates the risk of a surge when powering up lots of things at the same time.

Regards
James

#282275 - 02/28/10 02:09 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The good ones power up sequentially, James. You get to choose in what order. Most people buying Behringer mixers won't spring for one of those. So you still have to have two strips to choose when you want the Behringer to power up independently from all the other gear on that strip (what, you going to get a strip JUST for the Behringer? ).

And, let's face it, most people don't leave their home studios powered up all the time, and no 'pro' studio, with pre's that need to be warmed up etc., are going to use a budget Behringer...

It's a cost cutting approach, no matter what spin they want to put on it. Just about every mixer OTHER than Behringer (other than mega consoles) include a power switch. I suppose they are ALL wrong, aren't they..?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-28-2010).]

#282276 - 02/28/10 02:59 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki hit the nail on the head. It's simply a cost-cutting measure--nothing more.

And, anything electrical can develop a short circuit--anything. If it's plugged into an electrical outlet, and does not have an on/off switch, not only is it vulnerable to a power surge, but as Diki stated you cannot select the sequence the equipment is turned on or off, which in some instances, could cause serious damage to other equipment.

What I find really interesting is that when your TV is turned off by remote control it's not really off. Instead, it's in a standby mode. It still draws power and over a year's time that can amount to a significant increase in your electric bill.

Install an inline switch, or use a surge protector--it's a lot safer and less expensive.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online