SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#282277 - 02/28/10 04:17 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Guys..... I'll say it again only I'll be very blunt.

IT DOES NOT NEED ONE...!!!! It has it's own one internally. When you plug it in, the power DOES NOT rush to anything other than the internal switch. This system functions better than a switch at protecting your investment and it costs more to implement.

If you don't like it, that's your own problem. Technology waits for no man.

James

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 02-28-2010).]

#282278 - 02/28/10 04:27 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
James,

What you are saying is you must unplug it to turn it off. That means the entire time it is plugged into an outlet it is on. Nothing mysterious about that, and that's pretty much the same as any electrical device works, particularly those with low voltage circuitry. However, unless it is operated with a remote ON/OFF device, something that sends a signal to a system that fires the on/off relay, it is always on when it is plugged in, thereby making it susceptible to electrical failure when you least expect. This isn't rocket science--it's basic electronics 101. Don't take my word for it. Google search information about homes that burned to the ground because of an electronic device that was left turned on.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#282279 - 02/28/10 04:37 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Quote:
And, anything electrical can develop a short circuit--anything.

That's what the internal fusing in the power supply is for. Behringer doesn't make those power supplies, they are OEM, supplied by power supply mfrs who get the UL/CSA etc. certification for them. They wouldn't be certified as compliant if they could cause a fire due to an internal short. The certification comes from testing.

Quote:
If it's plugged into an electrical outlet, and does not have an on/off switch, not only is it vulnerable to a power surge, but as Diki stated you cannot select the sequence the equipment is turned on or off, which in some instances, could cause serious damage to other equipment.

Like I said, I have a small Berry miser here that is used for keyboard mixing that has run 24/7 for at least five years. If I have to make a connect or do something else that would create the speaker damaging POP -- I simply roll the Master Fader on the mixer all the way off and then make the connect.

Quote:
What I find really interesting is that when your TV is turned off by remote control it's not really off. Instead, it's in a standby mode. It still draws power and over a year's time that can amount to a significant increase in your electric bill.

Inside sets like that there is a *separate* very small transformer/power supply circuit for that purpose. While it does draw power, it is minimal, plus it is not like the actual larger transformer and supply is operative all the time, it isn't. That larger supply is physically disconnected from the AC mains via electromagnetic relay contacts, which does the exact same thing as a manual power switch.

Even if Behringer did install a power switch on the mixer itself, it could only disconnect the low voltage DC supplied by the separate power supply. It would not be able to turn the power supply off nor disconnect it from 5he AC mains.

It is, however, very likely that the cost factor does come into play here. After all, it is the consumer who drives prices ever downward via buying habits.

At any rate, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the lack of a power switch on such an economical little mixer. And I'm not.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#282280 - 02/28/10 04:45 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Gary.
Don't mind me tonight. I'm burnt out here from programming and not my usual self.

Quote:
What you are saying is you must unplug it to turn it off. That means the entire time it is plugged into an outlet it is on.

Yeah, it's always on while plugged in.

So too is the Transformer in most device that has a Switch though. The power switches are usually connected to the Outputs of the Transformers, not the inputs in order to charge the Transformer before letting the power run straight into the Electronics.

Devices that have no switches are more regulated than those with them as the system needs be charged before the internal Magnetic Switch is flipped by the capacitor.

Anyway..... it's not important enough to argue over.

Cheers from a very tired James. Sorry if I was a but snappy in my last post.

#282281 - 02/28/10 06:07 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's not a big deal, at least for me. I keep all my equipment on a surge protector, and at the end of the job, and at home before I got to bed, the surge protector is turned off. And, during electrical storms, which we have lots of during the year, the surge protectors are unplugged. Maybe I'm a bit overcautious, but having been nailed on two occasions by power surges, one that originated from a lightning strike on an underground TV cable, and blowing everything that was still plugged in, you get a bit gun-shy. And, the folks that live just two hundred yards from me had their TV short out in the middle of the night, which set their home on fire. They were not injured because the smoke detectors alerted them in time and they managed to get out of the house before the fire spread, but the overall damage took several months to repair.

Gun-Shy Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#282282 - 02/28/10 09:10 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
heres the funny part which is my big problem.

I live in an aprtment and my bedroom hosts 2 keybaords (PSRS910 and Motif XS6) my computer equipment and the Behringer mixer.

at night when i sleep i switch all my equipment off. the blue light on the behringer mixer stays on and it is VERY bright. my only option is to pull the chord out of the unit or switch off from the power at the wall socket.

you are probably having a chuckle about this but its really annoying for me!

#282283 - 02/28/10 09:36 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
heres the funny part which is my big problem.

I live in an aprtment and my bedroom hosts 2 keybaords (PSRS910 and Motif XS6) my computer equipment and the Behringer mixer.

at night when i sleep i switch all my equipment off. the blue light on the behringer mixer stays on and it is VERY bright. my only option is to pull the chord out of the unit or switch off from the power at the wall socket.

you are probably having a chuckle about this but its really annoying for me!

A large blob of blue tack will do the job, but don't put it right onto the led it may over heat, make the blue tack like an igloo all around it and let the air in but not the blue light out, it you are into electronics change the led for a less bright one, break the seal and the warranty may be voided. Mine does the same I told you it looks like the intruder alarm is on maybe a good thing. This bright LED thing started in the States about 10 years back everything had to have ultra bright LEDS, even if the electronics didn't work, hell it looked impressive!

Regards

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 02-28-2010).]
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#282284 - 03/01/10 01:37 AM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A simple permanent marker Sharpie pen will do the trick without causing it to overheat. I've done this in the past to arranger lights I didn't want distracting me onstage, or to the same 'sleeping with the lights on' issue in my old bedroom/studio days!

Here in the lightning capitol of the USA, I keep every single thing I've got on several UPS's, with the high load things (my powered speakers, mostly) on the surge output of the UPS's. I can't recommend this too highly. It's also why I really need power switches on most stuff, as I like to turn off most things if I go out for a while. Things that stay on when you don't really want them on can drain your battery if the power goes out too long, and I prefer to keep most of its' juice for the computer, which stays on most of the time.

After all, who wants to wait to boot up if you have a hankering to post at SZ in the middle of the night?

#282285 - 03/01/10 05:33 AM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
What a big deal over nothing!

I have a Sprit desk, it doesn't have an on / off switch either.
I think you will find other manufacturers skip this 'feature' too.

Luckily for us in the UK, our power outlets (sockets) have a small switch, this allows you to turn off the power if you don't need it.

Unplugging the plug from it's socket with the resulting air gap apparently has the same effect.

Why is this in the arrangers forum?

#282286 - 03/01/10 12:26 PM Re: Stupid question about a Behringer mixer
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe because many people play their arranger THROUGH a mixer?

And please remember, electrical standards vary all over the globe. What may not be an issue to some countries, may to others.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online