SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#270861 - 09/06/09 06:27 PM Wireless midi (instrument)
zuki Offline

Does anyone use a wireless midi unit, such as the Midijet or Midair for INSTRUMENT hookup? Thoughts or other suggestions. Thank you.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#270862 - 09/07/09 03:06 AM Re: Wireless midi (instrument)
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Not being a smartass here, Zuki, but until they make the signal and electrical power also wireless, I don't see it as worth the expense. Of course, you could get a battery-powered controller and a wireless transmitter and receiver for the signal but then you'd have to plug THAT in, plus, most transmit at 2.4 ghz and that should work out well with the 10 wireless phones and giant microwave in the club . For me, until they combine all three functions, battery pack, wireless midi, and wireless signal to amp, into one small unit (preferably built into the keyboard), I'll pass.

Not much help, but it is an interesting subject that I've thought a lot about myself. I just don't use midi on gigs and don't see it as practical in the studio.

chas

#270863 - 09/07/09 06:16 AM Re: Wireless midi (instrument)
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
If you need one, they work okay, provided you get one of known good quality and set it up properly. Have spec'd some for touring stage musicians and once setup, never got a callback. Brand is not that important, you really don't have that many brand choices out there anyway, actually.

Interference with other devices is a non-issue in the realworld, due to the design nature of the transceiving system, which is digital signal looking all the time for ack/nack or some other parity scheme. MIDI data is rather light in the bandwidth dept. by today's standards.

Then you can break out that 80s era Keytar and prance around with the gitter pickers...

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#270864 - 09/07/09 06:18 AM Re: Wireless midi (instrument)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have used a MIDIJet for several years now with no problems.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

#270865 - 09/07/09 08:06 AM Re: Wireless midi (instrument)
zuki Offline

Thanks all. Dave, have you tried (or anyone) the Midair. The Midijet is sooooo expensive.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#270866 - 09/07/09 08:15 AM Re: Wireless midi (instrument)
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I use the Limex wireless mostly with midi accordion. I sometimes use a 2-in midi merge box for accordion and at one time the Casio AZ-1, and currently with a Yamaha KX-5.
Ciao,
Jerry

#270867 - 09/07/09 09:02 AM Re: Wireless midi (instrument)
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Mac said Then you can break out that 80s era Keytar and prance around with the gitter pickers...

Personally, I don't use midi on the job, but the above would be what I imagine for live use. Otherwise wired midi is so easy, especially for stationary setups.

#270868 - 09/07/09 06:01 PM Re: Wireless midi (instrument)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Thanks all. Dave, have you tried (or anyone) the Midair. The Midijet is sooooo expensive.

Hi Jim,

I haven't tried the Midair nor do I know anyone who has. It is probably fine. Something to think about though is unlike a wireless mic system, if the signal is lost, the mic will go dead, with a wireless MIDI system, if the signal is lost while you are playing a not, there is a good chance that any notes you were playing will be stuck on; not a fun thing to have happen. IIRC, the MIDIJet Pro has a safeguard that sends an All Notes Off message of the signal is interrupted. I am pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere. On the other hand I have never had the signal interrupted, which says something for the reliability of the MIDIJet Pro as far as I see it.

Best Regards,

Dave

P.S. How is your video work going?

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online