SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#232323 - 04/16/08 07:52 AM DBX DriveRack PX
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
has anyone used this or have a review from a reliable source.

I do a couple gigs that are really trick to EQ. This might come in handy.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#232324 - 04/16/08 08:16 AM Re: DBX DriveRack PX
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Mike,

I used one for about a year. it takes some getting used to and you really got to do some additional fiddling to get the desired personal sound, but the great thing is that once you get a great sound or decent sound at a gig, you can save it and have that same sound and go from there.

#232325 - 04/16/08 09:20 AM Re: DBX DriveRack PX
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I have a brand new in the box dbx driverack that I'd like to sell. I ended up using a different system, so if you're interested, let me know,
Chony

#232326 - 04/16/08 02:51 PM Re: DBX DriveRack PX
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Never used one myself:
Spec wise - very good.
There where designed as a speaker management system (big PA set-ups etc.), but also offer EQ, compression / limiting functions, and sub-bass enhancement.

One thing I do know about them, if you power them down before your sound system a huge 'thump' will be amplified by your power amps, and speakers. It has be know to wipe out the drivers in speaker systems. I've heard one do it, and it nearly needed a change of underwear.
You have been warned!

If you are only after the audio processing side of the driverack (not the crossover functions), take a look as the Behringer Ultracurve PRO DEQ2496. I bought one, and I am really impressed with it. Not that expensive either.

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

[This message has been edited by TheSonicEnergyAuthority (edited 04-16-2008).]

#232327 - 04/16/08 07:04 PM Re: DBX DriveRack PX
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's a very good processor, but more effective in larger, pore powerful gear applications. Playing for kids at moderate levels .... I doubt that you;d get the $400 out of it. Just use a good approach to EQ, place the speakers in the right spot for the room and you'll be fine, Mikey!
The EQ control and the bass enhancement was great when I had to carry subs to compliment my weak EV speakers. Now that I have the Bose .... well, you know.
I have it all.

#232328 - 04/17/08 01:12 PM Re: DBX DriveRack PX
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
While I have never used the DriveRack PX, I absolutely love the DriveRack PA. I have used it for several years with very good results.

The PX is relatively new and is designed specifically for use with powered speakers and the PA is more of a general purpose unit for powered or nonpowered speakers alike.

I use my unit everywhere that I set up my system. The automatic EQing is great.

You simply place the RTA reference mic in the audience area and the DriveRack will sound pink noise through the speakers and the mic will send the resulting sound back to the unit. The RTA function (Real Time Analyzer) will then do a spectrum analysis on the sound comparing it back to the original reference tone. It then proceeds to adjust the EQ until it gets as close as possible to the target curve.

I get great sound everytime and no feedback.
The PA also includes a crossover for using with a Subwoofer. You can set the frequency range for 3 different outputs (highs, mids,and lows) to use with Bi-amped or Tri-amped systems.

It also includes Feedback eliminator with 12 notch filters that can be set as fixed or live filters. These can reduce problem frequencies in a room.

Delay is also included as is sub-harmonic sythesis for adding to the bottom end.

Frankieve, did you have a DriveRack PX or a DriveRack PA? I would be interested in hearing more about how the actual PX version works.

Chony, which version do you have?

There is also the 260, 480, 4800 and several other models that are a bit more complicated.

I also have a Behringer UltraCurve DEQ2496 that is an RTA also, but I currently am not using it as it lacks some of the features of the DBX and has a higher noise floor.

Anyone remember the Peavey Autograph? It was a similar device back in the day. LOL

Richard

#232329 - 04/22/08 05:42 AM Re: DBX DriveRack PX
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I have a brand new in the box dbx driverack that I'd like to sell. I ended up using a different system, so if you're interested, let me know,
Chony

Hey Chony,
I may be interested in your DriveRack, please email me info(which version:PA,PX,260,480 ect.. and selling price)

Thanks

Richard

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online