SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199825 - 08/25/06 10:46 AM What is this obsession with.........
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
piano samples, especially in a arranger keyboard. In a studio, yes; but then I'd be using a dedicated sampler (hardware or software) or high-end sample-capable synth.

From what I've heard on this board, the quality of the pianos in the high-end arrangers is already better than the quality of the playing. It's like giving ME a Stradivarious.....or a $15,000 mic to sing through; all it's going to do is showcase my horrible voice (in exquisite detail).

Before I get blasted, sure there are a few good pianist on this board, but they are never the ones crying out for uber piano samples; that's because their playing sounds good on whatever equipment they use (ex. George V uses a DGX305 or something). IMO, the pianos on the Tyros2 (and my PA1xpro..though not as good as on the T2) are more than adequate for the usual ARRANGER functions....OMB or songwriting or arranging or family entertainment. They have probably already been optimized for balance within the mix of other instruments on that board.

I just think that somewhere, long ago and far away, someone decided that the measure of a keyboard was how good the acoustic piano was and that somehow, over the years, we've forgotten to modify that criterion. It may still have some legitimacy in the high-end synth market, but arranger keyboards....I don't think so.

This whole subject of loading piano samples into the Tyros2 came up in another thread, but since it had little to do with the original topic of THAT thread either, I thought I'd move it so as not to further extend the original thread.

I believe, and I could be wrong about this, that the sampling capabilities offered on arranger keyboards such as the Tyros2, were meant mostly for special effects, vocal loops, etc., not full-blown multi-layered, multi-gig, multi-$$$, single instrument samples that would be totally out of step with the quality of the other on-board voices. Personally, I think a sample of James Brown yelling "Good God" or "Hit Me" would be more beneficial to those among us that don't posess the "soul" to do it live.

Just a thought.

chas

PS: Carrie_UK, that last paragraph was a little long but I'm working on it .

#199826 - 08/25/06 10:57 AM Re: What is this obsession with.........
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Holy mackerel...I can't believe it.....
I completely agree with you Chas......it almost makes me sick...to realize we agree on something..

#199827 - 08/25/06 11:18 AM Re: What is this obsession with.........
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Cgiles,
I agree that, if I were a piano purist, I would never think of playing a high-end piano sample from a keyboard like the Tyros 2, with 61 non-weighed keys, that would make it difficult to control the expression of said sample. Part of the illusion of playing a real piano comes indeed from the action and this -together with the sound itself- is one of the most debated issues in other Fora, everytime the issue of the "best digital piano" comes up.
However, I have to disagree with you that the sample importing function should be used more to import vocal sounds or effects a la James Brown, to enhance the impact of a live show.

Let me make a few examples.

People keep saying that the T2 drums are too "polished" and lack the dirty quality found in other arrangers, like the Ketron SD1 or the Korg PA1 X; well, with 1 Gb of memory at your disposal you can import a ton of drum samples and build up your own drum kits, and this is a really easy task, first because you have to deal with no-looping samples and second because each sample takes just one note.
Personally, I have sampled all the keyboards and the drum machines I have had in the past. These samples reside now within my Akai S 2800 and my Ensoniq ASR 10, but they both have shortcomings: they have only 16 notes of polyphony, the Akai lacks the powerful effect section of the Tyros 2, the Ensoniq has a very poor user interface and the list could go on and on.
Now, can you imagine having all these samples within a machine like the Tyros 2?
I have recently expanded the RAM memory of my T2 to 1 Gb and have loaded all the vocal samples Yamaha made available on their website. They fill a gap the original Tyros had, compared with the PSR 9000, but I still have many other samples of vocal sounds, from almost every synth: Roland, Korg, Kurzweil...

The possibilities are endless!

#199828 - 08/25/06 11:27 AM Re: What is this obsession with.........
T42 Offline

Loc: UK
cgiles do you honestly think the likes of Yamaha gave the ability to load in 1 gig of memory into the T2 just so someone can load in some super special FX WAV?

Any good pianist will cry out for a quality piano sample so he can show off his skill with quality sounds, without having to resort to carrying a grand piano around with him/her. A good pianist can also knock out a great tune on any keyboard they sit in front of, but if they are like me it's far better to hear quality coming out of the speakers.
Samples can also be optimised within the mix of other instruments, you don't need the likes of Yamaha to do it for you.

Personally I measure a keyboard not by how good the piano or other sounds are but by it's editing facilities and what it offers the buyer. Quality onboard sounds, styles and a great key action are a bonus, but I'd rather create my own sounds than ever use presets.
Full blown multi layered sounds are not at all out of step with the other onboard voices, they are far more beneficial than some James Brown vocal gimmick.

If people are happy spending thousands of pounds on an arranger only to use presets and never to explore the full potential of the instrument then I see that as their loss. People are either happy as they are, don't want or know how to use editing software, don't realise the full potential of having authentic sounding instruments (adding sampled sounds to the styles on the T2 makes them more realistic than they are in the first place).

Is there anyone else on Synthzone who wants to get more out of their arranger and can understand that particularly with a T2, loading in WAV sounds can be a huge benefit?

#199829 - 08/25/06 12:35 PM Re: What is this obsession with.........
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A great set of piano samples will make Mary Had a Little Lamb sound better....... strangely, I think a great piano sound benefits the weaker player, a great player makes any set sound good, whereas a simpler player benefits more from the sound itself, especially if they play simply (think Norah Jones simple).

However, the slow speed of sample loading makes all the arrangers, in a live situation, close to impossible - max out a T2's RAM and it takes over 30 minutes to load (from USB)...... and forget about it if there is a brown-out or power loss during a set. UPS's are a MUST.

When, oh when are keyboard manufacturers going to speed up data transfer from HD to memory? USB 1 is WAY too slow, and even older samplers with SCSI could make barely 1MB/sec, glacial by computer standards even back in the day.

Until they address this, sampling, at least for live work, does tend to be only useful for little hits and fx.

#199830 - 08/25/06 01:57 PM Re: What is this obsession with.........
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I like Dreamer's idea myself. If there is one weakness on this board for me, it's the drum sets. I have plenty of excellent sounding sets for DR008 and some of my other samplers that aren't all that large, and will load relatively fast into the T2.

This weekend I'll be taking the 512 mb's of ram from my Motif ES and putting it into the T2. I never use the sampling feature on the ES anyway, since in comparison to my software samplers it's pretty much a nightmare to use.

T42, as far as getting more out of my arranger.. yep I sure want to. That's why I converted all of those BIAB styles in the first place... so I'd have them long before I might get a bit tired of the internal ones. Next up are some new multipads, because the ones that loop certainly can add spice to a style or allow me to turn off and then substitute a style's guitar part, or bass line, for example.

I'll probably add a few synth sounds and multipads to my board as well. Good synth samples don't have to take up a whole lot of memory in comparison to some acoustic sounds - remember you're not trying to recreate all of the nuances of an acoustic instrument. I've got some nice synth soundfonts that are well under 8 mb total that have some great synths on them. Some are less than 1 mb overall.

As far as doing any serious sampling work, where I might want to have the best instruments in a studio / recording setting, I'd simply stick with my computer samplers and software modules. Using them is simpler than using most hardware and besides, noone I know of who is serious about using sampling in a production ( other than one shots or simple phrases ) would use a non dedicated sampler in the first place, whether it was a workstation like the Motif ES or Triton series, or an arranger.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-25-2006).]

#199831 - 08/25/06 02:28 PM Re: What is this obsession with.........
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
Both Wersi OAS Arrangers and the Lionstracs Mediastation will do what you ask.
Info: OAS 7 has about 700 Mb of samples as standard, and they are loaded into Ram at start-up, the time taken from power on to full use (Load Windows OS, OAS software and the 700 Mb of samples) takes about 1 ½ minutes.
If you want to use Giga samples or VSTs then once again this is no problem as only the start of the sound needs to be loaded into ram, the rest of the sample is streamed direct from the hard drive.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#199832 - 08/25/06 07:09 PM Re: What is this obsession with.........
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
actually I was curious about how long it must take to load sample into a T2.
If I'm reading correctly they have to be loaded in everytime the keyboard is switched off and back on again later??
Large samples I imagine would take ages.

My sd1+ loads samples but it only has 16mb ram. I ended up creating a clarinet from one of my soundfonts. Took a fair bit of work & wasn't really worth it in the end.
Drums are worth the effort & on the sd1 especially drum loops, as they sync to style & midifile.

Personally for me , I'd really only bother if I needed a sound the keyboard didn't have.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#199833 - 08/25/06 08:12 PM Re: What is this obsession with.........
George V Offline

Loc: Sofia
Quote:
Chas wrote:
Before I get blasted, sure there are a few good pianist on this board, but they are never the ones crying out for uber piano samples; that's because their playing sounds good on whatever equipment they use (ex. George V uses a DGX305 or something)

Hi,

Thank you for your compliments, However, there are several reasons I do not complain about the piano sound on my DGX-305.

First, I try to avoid complaining about anything. From what I observe on the forum, expressing negative feelings always leads to pissing contests, mine is better than yours, etc. Such topics are undoubtledly interesting but I think it's ridiculous to complain about a $400 keyboard. My complain-list is very long (incl. Live! grand piano sound) but I know that the solution will always be "George, go for a better keyboard". Until this happens, I'll try my best with the DGX-305

Secondly, no reason to point out the shortcomings of my keyboard since no-one who is reading this forum would go to buy it.

Last but not least, I know you enjoy to listen to something different than Tyros 2, PSR 3000 or G70.

Anyway, I agree with you. My fear is that one day people will stop playing the acoustic piano and the digital one will become the standard. So many options, so many sounds. It's a terrific gadget.

Regards,
George

#199834 - 08/25/06 10:58 PM Re: What is this obsession with.........
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I reply to the original post...

One point that no-one seems to have mentioned but is of interest to me is ..MORE VARIETY..

Sure the T2 pianos are OK but they are very similar. There is a world of difference in real piano sounds depending upon build materials. design construction recording techniques etc and I am interested in different sounds for different types of music.

I am not in search of the definitive piano sound but I would like as much variety as there is with the reeds, brass and strings on the T2.

Just my two bobs worth

Regards - KF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online