SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208455 - 02/13/06 09:42 PM No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok, considering all the controversy over my first recording attempt, I decided I'd better have a SECOND go at it, so . . .

here's a "totally new" rendition utilizing a different style approach, with the Tyros2's onboard vocalizer problems (hopefully) resolved as well. As before, I performed this 'completely live' on the Yamaha Tyros2 in 'auto accomp' mode.

Ok, please have a listen (if you dare ), and let me know what you think:

DOWNLOAD from RapidShare.de:

Lyin' Eyes (8.52mb version)

Lyin' Eyes (1.45mb version)

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#208456 - 02/14/06 04:23 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Scott

Rapidshare is a nightmare to download from,
I keep getting this error massage everytime I use it.
Rgds
NJ

Download-session invalid. Please click here.

Possible reasons:

* Download-session expired. Direct-links last a few minutes for free users and a few days for premium-users.
* You requested this download-session from a different IP than yours. If you use AOL, try a different browser.

#208457 - 02/14/06 04:40 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Ok Scott I had a listen to version 2. Much better. You seemed to clear up the technical problems with the harmonizer. I didn't hear the intonation problems created by it this time. Your vocals came out crisp and clear. I could understand every word.

That being said and remember that I consider you a friend, I still think your approach to this song isn't what I think it should be. But what do I know anyway. I'll give you my two cents regardless.

You are singing this tune like a love song, which it is. However it's a song being sung to a lover that can't be trusted. Don't sing it like your are trying to get her into the sack. You are telling her she's a lying bitch. Don't be so nice about it. I really think it needs a little more force and a little less legatto. Put a little space after hide. Change lyiinnnnnnggg to lyin.

Please remember that these comments only apply if you are trying to mimic the Eagles orginal version. If your intent is to do Scott Yee's version keep it the way it is.

Don Mason once told me that you wouldn't expect Elvis to do a Beatles tune just like the Beatles. I know that you like to do different versions of tunes. I remember the "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" that you did. It wasn't meant to sound like the orginal it was Scott Yee's version. That's cool if that was also your intent on this one.

The other thing that comes to mind is that you are a trained vocalist. You've had professional lessions and it surly shows. I'm not sure that any of the Eagles are professionaly trained vocalists. For you to sing like they do would probably go contrary to your training.

I do want to thank you for sharing this tune with us. I never considered putting this tune in my song list but now I might give it a try. I need to move my act out of the big band era and into at least the 60's. This is another tune that could help me do that. Thanks!

Tom

Tom

#208458 - 02/14/06 04:43 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Scott, you could set up a Temp directory on your website (that the general public would not even know about) and that would definitely be better. Assuming you have no bandwidth problems from downloads.

I listened to the whole thing. Your phrasing is much better than the first one. Also, no harmonizer problem.

It doesn't knock me out. I also like your vocal style better for this genre... less "polished" sounding. Keep practicing that and with time you'll be sounding like a hick like me. No, don't do that. Scratch that idea.

I'll admit, the Tyros2 sounds a bit subdued to me. Muffled or something. Put it this way... not crisp and clear. I listened to the small file size file, if that matters. It could be the recording quality, I dunno. Maybe live, it would be crystal clear. Then again, I do have some hearing loss, so, what do I know.

Keep at it, amigo, you're a pro and you'll get it.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#208459 - 02/14/06 04:45 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Tom, the only thing I don't like about this song for gigs is it is LONG.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#208460 - 02/14/06 05:04 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott:

I never did hear your first version. But I will say this IMHO this style of song is not suited to your style. After listening to you sing Lyin' Eyes I went to your web site and listened to a few other tunes you do. My favorite is "You Don't Know Me," now that song is better suited to your style. As others have mentioned that song has to be done dirty and gruff. You have a more refined style. Not to say that refinement isn't good. I prefer refined singing to dirty and gruff. Personal taste, nothing more.

Let me clarify, with an example. A number of years ago the Mrs. and I went to a concert venue (Great Woods now called The Tweeter Center) to hear Harry Connick Jr. perform. Harry Connick as you know had always performed many of the old standards. He was always backed by a big band dressed in Tuxs etc. etc. Well the night we went to see him he was doing some new type style he lableld "Funky Dunky" ( not sure of the exact name and what it meant). Harry came out on stage dressed in jeans and was backed by a drummer, guitarist, bassist and he on a portable keyboard. He was absolutely awful!! We disliked it so much along with about 50 other concert goers that we went to the ticket office after 2 songs and got a refund. Not sure how many others may have done the same after we left. I'm still a Harry Connick fan just not that night.

The point is Harry is not only an extremely taleneted pro, but he was trying to play something better left to maybe someone like Emerson, Lake and Palmer, maybe Jethro Tull.

#208461 - 02/14/06 05:39 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

I've listened to both versions, and while the second is a big improvement over the first, this particular style of singing is not your forte. The vocal phrasing is just not down and dirty country, and that's exactly what this song demands. It's not one of those songs that requires perfect diction and if you listen carefully to the orriginal you'll hear that some of the printed lyrics are not exactly the same as those in the song.

Over the years I've thoroughly enjoyed many of your submissions, that vast majority of which are very professional. Most were balads, which clearly reflects your talent and training. Sh*t kicking country is something entirely different, and I sincerely believe that it's just something that comes naturally from within.

I sincerely hope you are not offended by this, and please keep those creative juices flowing.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#208462 - 02/14/06 05:55 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ... I am at the 'day job' so I will have to listen later ...
But based on the comments above, I have to agree with the sentiments about this perhaps not being a 'Scott Yee style' song ...but Lord knows that there are enough others that are ... Like I said in the 'other' thread ... Pat Boone couldn't sing rock 'n' roll, but he had a nice career ... ...

Steve ... I know EXACTLY what you are saying about Harry Connick Jr. .... Lydia and I saw him at the Newport Jazz Fest. in '04 ... the stuff he played sounded terrible ... we had seen him a few years earlier, when he admitedly played while suffering from the flu, and he sounded much better than in '04 ... dressed in jeans also ... that was a problem because his group immediately followed the Ron Carter Trio, playing straight ahead jazz, dressed to the hilt in beautiful suits, ties and starched white shirts ... CLASS all the way ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 02-14-2006).]

#208463 - 02/14/06 06:07 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
nielshs Offline

Hi Scott

Nice song and well preformd.

Do we have to sound like a country singer when we preform a country tune??? I think Scottīs rendition sounds like a country tune preformd by Scott.

Regards
Niels

#208464 - 02/14/06 06:27 AM Re: No Lie! My 2nd Recording attempt of: "Lying Eyes"
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It sounds like what it is--Scott Yee singing Lyin' Eyes. And there's nothing wrong with that.
The drums seem more prominent on this cut, and there is no problem with the vocal harmony.
I'm pretty sure the Eagles released two versions of this song, one with a couple of the verses cut out. I often drop a couple when I do it, depending on whether the audience is dancing, listening or yawning!
Thanks for posting this. The SZ was getting BORING there for a while.
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online