SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#190509 - 12/06/05 11:51 AM HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
claudiu Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, Michigan USA
Hi..every friend that hears that i own a casio wk-3500, too...says that casio sucks...and they say that casio wk-3500 is being sold in SAM'S CLUB..which drives me nuts..what's wrong with casio ? aren't casio good.. ? i bought mine from a guitar center x(

Regards,,

me

[This message has been edited by claudiu (edited 12-06-2005).]

#190510 - 12/06/05 12:04 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Nothing wrong with Casio. The Casio Corp has made a huge jump with the newer WK models. The WK line is nothing like their older models (with exception to the MZ-2000).

They have newer more up to date samples. Not to mention some very good sounding ones at that. Plus they even have some of their own signature voices such as the Velo Tenor and Velo Alto Saxes.

When you consider all the features on the WK models from the WK-3000 up and then look at the price I think it really speaks for itself. The only reason I went with the WK-3500 myself and dropped the PSR-550 was because of the changes Casio made, and that they used the MZ-2000 soundset (used to own that board too).

Just because they're sold at Sams and so on doesn't make them bad keyboards. Also keep in mind that the Casio WK-3000 and up will allow you to download WAV samples into the board. The newer WK's have twice the memory too for storing WAV's. That alone is a very unique feature for Casio considering no keyboard in the price range with these features offers that.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-06-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#190511 - 12/06/05 12:11 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've found that a small strip of silver duct tape blends in very nicely when placed over the Casio name on the back of the keyboard.
I was using it as a controller for a while and people were wondering what in the world that great-looking, great-sounding keyboard was. I tell them it's made in Italy and designed especially for people like me.
Now a friend of mine uses it for the piano and organ sounds in a four-piece band.
DonM

#190512 - 12/06/05 12:18 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
Dnj Offline

For the "price" its hard to beat!
Pianos & Organs are surpisingly good too.

#190513 - 12/06/05 01:32 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
claudiu Offline

LOL DonM...where can i find that kind of duct tape ? It would be so great to put that on...especially if it says something ..like " yamaha" ))))... )))))
Omg...i'm laughin...now for real...i need som of that tape...where can i find it ?

#190514 - 12/06/05 01:38 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

Casio gained its first reputation by making low priced keyboards. They were sold at Sams and Kmart and were always a very good value. Casio did not intend their products to compete with instruments costing ten times as much. Some people who bought the expensive brands looked down on Casios and gave Casio a 'sucky' reputation.

I have been told that the latest models of Casio move completely out of the 'budget' mold, as the posters here have confirmed. But their early reputaton remains, at least in some people's minds.

For that matter, some keyboard snobs will tell you that ALL arranger keyboards 'suck.'
Tell that to the people who use arranger keyboards to make a very nice living and they will tell you the snobs are just wrong.

#190515 - 12/06/05 01:46 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I believe the keyboard without amplification is not as great sounding compared to the competition such as the Yamaha DGX series.

The onboard speakers are rather weak, isn't it ?

#190516 - 12/06/05 01:50 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I don't agree. True at high volume levels the Casio may distort just a tad, but at normal playing levels I think the Casio blows the lid off the speaker system of the DGX series. Way better quality woofers with MUCH and I mean MUCH more bass. Plus the tweeters are considerably better as well. I've played the entire DGX line and I feel the speakers are quite weak.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#190517 - 12/06/05 02:46 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
MrEd Offline

I don't think that Casio directly competes with the other brands that are more often discussed here.

I think they have produced certain models (like the WK-3500) that sound great, with very good functionality (midi, L/R outputs, media card storage, etc).
Because of the useful components and the good sound (produced from 32-note polyphony yet!) people tend to start A/B comparing with more expensive models with 128-note polyphony (plus other miscellaneous goodies) and respect for what Casio has accomplished, and at such a great price, goes right out the window,

Not Fair, I say!

I have a lot of respect for Casio and what they have been able to produce for the money.

Claudiu, that tape is silver duct tape which you can get at any hardware, kmart, etc.
But the lettering in the names CASIO and CLAUDIU are pretty close.
If I were you, I'd take the keyboard to the local auto/body shop and have them do some light sanding and get your own name etched into it. The Claudiu 3500

#190518 - 12/06/05 04:35 PM Re: HI...What's wrong with CASIO ?
claudiu Offline

LOL.. I can do that ? I'll think about it...sounds like a good idea...the thing is that i own a roland va76, too...and i'm gonna be playing at gigs ( parties..weddings ) and i'm gonna use a double stander...the roland will be on the upper thing and the casio on the lower thing..and there's gonna be this ROLAND - CASIO contrast which sucks...

Thanks for your posts and for the jokes which i really enjoyed

Regards,

Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online