SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196886 - 04/23/05 08:20 PM Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi fellow Synthzone members & friends. I recently discovered Skype:
http://skype.com/

an internet telephone software which allows you to voice chat (UNLIMITED & totally FREE) online (PC to PC) to anyone anywhere around the world that has a PC as well. A couple of years back, I had used "Dialpad" for free internet telephone voice chatting, but the poor signal quality (voice delay, echo, static & drop outs), and limited talk time before calls got automatically dropped, soon became annoying.

With "Skype", a fast DSL/Cable speed PC internet connection, and a 'headset w/mic', those annoyances are now a thing of the past. With Skype, you can talk (unlimited talk time & FREE) to anyone anywhere in the world who also has a PC with a DSL/Cable speed connection, and a headset w/mic. The voice sound quality & clarity rivals a regular telephone connection and with no echo or delay to boot. In fact, I recently had an enjoyable free internet telephone conversation with an arranger keyboard buddy who lives in Belgium and it sounded like he was right next door to me here in California. There was no noticeable audible delay or any echo. By adding a Webcam, you can take the internet telephone experience a step further and not only hear the person on the other end play their arranger KB, but WATCH them (on LIVE video webcam) playing their KB as well. What a great way to demonstrate & share playing tips & techniques, etc with fellow SZ arranger keyboard enthusiasts anywhere around the world. Interested in internet telephone chatting? Email me.

Scott

#196887 - 04/23/05 10:46 PM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
See you Monday evening

#196888 - 04/23/05 10:47 PM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
arcadia Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hi fellow Synthzone members & friends. I recently discovered Skype:
http://skype.com/

an internet telephone software which allows you to voice chat (UNLIMITED & totally FREE) online (PC to PC) to anyone anywhere around the world that has a PC as well. A couple of years back, I had used "Dialpad" for free internet telephone voice chatting, but the poor signal quality (voice delay, echo, static & drop outs), and limited talk time before calls got automatically dropped, soon became annoying.

With "Skype", a fast DSL/Cable speed PC internet connection, and a 'headset w/mic', those annoyances are now a thing of the past. With Skype, you can talk (unlimited talk time & FREE) to anyone anywhere in the world who also has a PC with a DSL/Cable speed connection, and a headset w/mic. The voice sound quality & clarity rivals a regular telephone connection and with no echo or delay to boot. In fact, I recently had an enjoyable free internet telephone conversation with an arranger keyboard buddy who lives in Belgium and it sounded like he was right next door to me here in California. There was no noticeable audible delay or any echo. By adding a Webcam, you can take the internet telephone experience a step further and not only hear the person on the other end play their arranger KB, but WATCH them (on LIVE video webcam) playing their KB as well. What a great way to demonstrate & share playing tips & techniques, etc with fellow SZ arranger keyboard enthusiasts anywhere around the world. Interested in internet telephone chatting? Email me.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes, Skype is a great telephony program and leaves the others for dead, but I don't think they have the video facility just yet.

Cleon

#196889 - 04/23/05 10:50 PM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Arcadia,
you are right, but you can use a webcam with a program like MSN Messenger and use it together with Skype.

#196890 - 04/24/05 02:02 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
silva Offline

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Hi, skype works well. You have also another similar application. Look at http://www.voipbuster.com/en/onhold.html

Franky

#196891 - 04/24/05 04:08 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Scott,

What is the advantage in using Skype over MSN Messenger?

Thanks,

Dave

#196892 - 04/24/05 06:43 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Am I interpreting the site correctly where it says you can call regular telephones throughout the world for 2 U.S. cents per minute? If this is the case, which I hope it is, this would be a fantastic deal. I'm just wondering how they would go about billing you for the call.

Let me know,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#196893 - 04/24/05 07:36 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Probably prepaid. Two cents a minute is what I pay for long distance. I can't remember the name of the service at the moment. Dial a toll-free number, enter pin, enter phone number. Easy. It's prepaid, ten dollars minimum.

#196894 - 04/24/05 07:42 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Scott,

Am I interpreting the site correctly where it says you can call regular telephones throughout the world for 2 U.S. cents per minute? If this is the case, which I hope it is, this would be a fantastic deal. I'm just wondering how they would go about billing you for the call.

Let me know,

Gary

Gary...I have a simular program here in my restaurant in Cozumel Mexico and the cost is even less...I can place a phone call to the US for under $.039 per minute.....the deal is that you have to open an account with them
and prepay with a C/C in advance....say you put in $20.00 in your account...you then have that much calling time, you can check your account balance or phone call movement by going ot your account...at least that's the way mine works.....it really is great and the co. that I use is called inter-fone..
it take it's own telephone that connects to the computer which is what I like...no need for headphone and microphones, just pick up the receiver and dial.....cheers...
how's the Hard Drive coming????

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Rome (edited 04-24-2005).]

#196895 - 04/24/05 08:03 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
What is the advantage in using Skype over MSN Messenger?

Dave, Good question. For instant text messaging, MSN remains my #1 software choice, but Unfortunately (at least with my computer), MSN Messenger's voicephone feature won't work unless I disable/lower my PC Firewall settings, which is a risky proposition at best. Skype, on the otherhand, allows you to keep your PC's Firewall turned on (mine is: Norton Personal Firewall) & set at full security.

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Am I interpreting the site correctly where it says you can call regular telephones throughout the world for 2 U.S. cents per minute?I'm just wondering how they would go about billing you for the call.

Gary, "SkypeOut" allows you to call any regular telephone (in the world) from your PC. I've never used or tried SkypeOUT before, but to use it, you must first pre-purchase CREDITS with your credit card (Mastercard, Visa, etc) which is then applied to whatever calls you make. Here are some more SkypeOut FAQ answers: http://www.skype.com/help/faq/skypeout.html

I'm personally recommending (and sticking with) the 100% FREE PC to PC service offered by Skype: http://www.skype.com/products/
for chatting with Synthzone buddies (on computer) around the globe. Skype FREE PC to PC internet voice telephone promises to bring SZ members even closer together.

Dreamer (Andrea Rotolo): Looking forward to our FREE Skype voice telephone chat (California-Rome) tomorrow (Monday),

I'm looking forward to hearing from other fellow SZ members (around the globe) interested in chatting FOR FREE with me on Skype. Please email me if interested.

Scott

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online