SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196906 - 05/08/05 07:44 PM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by peter dino:
With my set up at home I don't have a sound card in my computer I have a Delta M 44 audio set up.

huh?!

The Delta44:
http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta44-main.html

is indeed a soundcard, and an impressive sounding one at that (I myself have the Delta66 ; ).

Setup is pretty EASY. Just utilize the inputs & outputs on the Delta 44's I/O box.
If you want to use a standard PC computer headset/mic unit of which includes TWO 1/8" stereo mini jacks (mic & headphone), simply purchase a Y cable: 1/8" stereo mini jack (female)at one end and two 1/4" mono L/R jacks,on other end. Plug the mic cable of the headset into the 1/8" jack on the Y cable and plug the other ends of the Y cable to the L/R inputs on the 44's I/0 unit.

I'm not sure if the Delta44's I/O box includes a dedicated headphone monitor phono jack or not, but (if so) simply plug the end of the headphone/mic unit's headphone cable into it. You'll of course need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for this if the output monitor on the I/O is 1/4" phono.

Peter, if you already got a vocal mic and dedicated headphones, you could also use these instead. This would produced the highest quality sound.

Hope this helps. See ya on Skype.

Scott

#196907 - 05/08/05 07:52 PM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Double Posting Error!

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-08-2005).]

#196908 - 05/08/05 09:13 PM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott
You really know your stuff. Yes, I do already use a vocal mic and headphones. The reason I wanted to use a headset w/mic and earphone was to free up both my hands. The other way well, I could use a little mic stand. Maybe I'll try both.
I guess the next thing now is to download the Skype program. When I get setup I'll talk to you on Skype.
Thanks for your help, I sincerely appreciate it.

Peter

[This message has been edited by peter dino (edited 05-08-2005).]

#196909 - 05/08/05 09:20 PM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Roel Offline

As long as you (can) do recordings with the PC and monitor with headphones there is no need to buy new hardware.

In my case I connect a microphone to one of the inputs of the mixing-console (Onyx1220).
Switch it to ALT3/4 outputs, what leads the singal into the Audiophile 2496 line inputs. Plug in headphone on the Onyx, set the speaker/controlroom volume to zero and raise the headphone volume.

Skype 'discovered' and auto-configured my soundcard settings.

#196910 - 05/09/05 12:04 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Does anyone have information on how much bandwidth the service uses?
My ISP account allows only 1GB per month.
cheers

#196911 - 05/09/05 12:05 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiefromrotherham:
Does anyone have information on how much bandwidth the service uses?
My ISP account allows only 1GB per month.
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#196912 - 05/09/05 01:33 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Roel Offline

To be honest I have no idea! ..... but tonight I will check it directly in my router, where it is shown in the 'sent-/received bytes' fields. (eg during a conversation of 5 minutes)

My DSL-link has 1600 bps bandwidth what and this works great/fast.

#196913 - 05/09/05 03:19 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The only restriction my ISP has is 1 gig on downloading from newsgroups in 30 days. I am sure this is to prevent too much illegal file swapping.

Bernie

#196914 - 05/09/05 07:08 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !

Thanks Bernie and Roel

My ISP is Plusnet and they have a feature where you can keep a check on your usage aty any time just by clicking on the members centre.
This is useful when you ae coming to the end of a month when you want to download something big. Better to wait a couple of days before downloading something really big or you incur an extra payment. Having said that, the extra payment is absolutely minimal, like only £1.25 ($2) for an extra 1GB.So who cares anyway?
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#196915 - 05/09/05 09:34 AM Re: Impressive (PC-PC) FREE "unlimited talk time" Internet Telephone: Check it Out !
Roel Offline

I just monitored the kB's a Skype session takes: It looks like it is only a few k's per minute.... so don't worry Eddie

Roel

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online