SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#194585 - 12/07/04 02:46 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
Darksounds Offline

Yeah I know Clarke just happens to have his sound .

To tell you the truth I'm not even sure how much I would use the preset styles anyway , most probably wouldn't fit with what I would like to do .

I would be very happy with an instrument that can give me accoustic sounds but also the trademark synth sounds which I guess a synth/workstation might be better for .

As far as speakers for a synth/workstation are concerned , could I just go out and buy some PC speakers of my choice or does one need special speakers for these units ?

Also the smart Card one can buy for storage ( at least for the Motifs) are these the same smart cards used for Digital Cameras or special ones designed just for these workstations ?

Oh and thanks again for the model recommendations .

[This message has been edited by Darksounds (edited 12-07-2004).]

#194586 - 12/07/04 09:59 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Clarke has only 1 album with Mode(1st album)(above hits that I said are from post Clarke area),which is more anolog+sampler mixture.

yes you can buy cards(SM,compact flash)-they are same as Digi cameras.

No PC speakers(mid range lack) are'nt good enough for workstation monitoring-go buy active or passive studio monitors or high end KB amp or PA.your home stereo system(good one)(with AUX in) can do it for now.

make sure you listen to big three(korg,yam rol)cause you can sell them easier and they have numerious 3rd party support(sounds,styles,forums).

dont forget you can't have it all.some are better in some areas but not that good in other area.You MUST listen to them.onboard sampling is a must for own synth music.

on onboard(and expendable) sample mem-roland fantom S and X has the largest of big three.(but they lack real time record-with seq-you have to retrigger them).(both yam and korg do that).it has pads which are a major help for both sequencing and live.

motif has good acoustic sounds,breath controller iput(great for reed-remember those DX7's sax and brass),M-lan,but OS can be painful.
triton on the otherhand is the easiest to use and the best seller(no presets occupying ROm-all patches and performances can be all rewritable-another major selling point for Korg worstations,but ac piano and some acoustic sounds are weak.but onboard sampling can help.again user sample max mem is still less than roland or yam.

but the sounds-you have to listen them.all of them can do decent production in the right hands.

#194587 - 12/08/04 05:08 PM Re: Roland vs Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
Darksounds Offline

Yes I know that Clarke left DM after only one Album . My favourite Depeche Mode period was from Black Celebration to Violator .

I suppose I could hook up the Workstation to my Surround system , it has high quality speakers .

The fact that different workstations have different strengths is something I noticed .

I also agree is that I would have to listen to them at the store before I make my decision .

In the end I'll probably go with the one that has the right balance between soundquality , features and ease of use .

Yamaha would probably get high marks for the first two criterias but low marks fo the third so that's probably how apart from listening I would decide .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online