SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#116643 - 03/06/04 11:15 PM What Luck!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As some of you know, I've been very busy lately, helping my mother and step-father move here from South Texas. LOTS of stuff do to that takes lots of time.
Anyway, tonight, I suppose because I've been distracted from taking care of business, I did something I've never done before.
I drove all the way to Longview, TX for a job, only to find out I was a week early.
I had failed to check my calendar but relied on memory.
Bad, huh?
Well, not so bad. I got there and the band that was scheduled for tonight had cancelled at the last minute. You got it, I got to work anyway!
Only bad thing was the 4-piece band that cancelled was booked for $50. less than I charge, so I played for their price.
. . . and I was glad to get it!
DonM

#116644 - 03/07/04 12:19 AM Re: What Luck!!
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Only bad thing was the 4-piece band that cancelled was booked for $50. less than I charge, so I played for their price.
. . . and I was glad to get it!
DonM

Good you didn't drive all that way (I assume it was quite a drive, anyway ) for nothing. Although... Was the 4-piece band booked for 50 bucks? For how long? Is this a normal "fee" for live music over there? (If it is, you really should pack your bags and head to my country :-)

------------------
Roland EXR-5 user - http://www.exr5.tk

#116645 - 03/07/04 05:47 AM Re: What Luck!!
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
sounds like a gig from the blues brothers???

"The band gets $50, but you owe me $300 for all the beer you drank!!"

Was there any chicken wire??

#116646 - 03/07/04 06:04 AM Re: What Luck!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I sure wish you boys and girls would learn to read, write and spell. Don said the job paid $50 LESS THAN HE NORMALLY CHARGES!--NOT $50. Most of us in this biz would not load the equipment for $50.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#116647 - 03/07/04 06:20 AM Re: What Luck!!
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
DonM,

Sounds a very nice story. I am very curious about the reaction of the owners at the beginning when you came a week early, and then their reaction after the band cancelled at the last minute, and then their reaction after you took and finished your performance.

#116648 - 03/07/04 07:43 AM Re: What Luck!!
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
A kind of "same thing only different" thing happened to me once years ago.

The club owner had mistakenly thought he had a different band booked on a night when my band was booked.
The band he "thought" he had booked was not really very good in his opinion (why he booked them I don't know) and he was telling all his customers for the previous few days that they were not very good.

When my band and I walked in that night with our equipment his jaw dropped. He asked what the heck we were doing there and I replied that he had us booked and to check his calander. He did, and sure enough there we were scheduled to play that night.

He apologised over and over again as he told me about his mistake and the fact about what he had been telling all of his customers.

He apologised ahead of time for the bad night crowd-wise he was now expecting...I just figured oh well...nothing I could do about it, and asked for an ameretto on the rocks. He goes behind the bar and half fills a huge pitcher with ice then empties a full bottle of amerreto into it and hands it to me saying. "here ya go, on me, hope you can still enjoy the evening."

As it turned we had a few stragglers come in who stayed the night and partied with us.
It was one goofy night I'll never forget. And yes the amerretto helped as the crowd that did show up appeared "doubled" in size. just kidding.

------------------
The old Newb

#116649 - 03/07/04 08:25 AM Re: What Luck!!
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I sure wish you boys and girls would learn to read, write and spell. Don said the job paid $50 LESS THAN HE NORMALLY CHARGES!--NOT $50. Most of us in this biz would not load the equipment for $50.

Cheers,

Gary

One might take into consideration that for many on this forum, English is a second language.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#116650 - 03/07/04 08:37 AM Re: What Luck!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes it was for "$50 less than my price", which was still way more than $50 total!
The customers and manager did appreciate the fact that I was there!
Don

#116651 - 03/07/04 09:13 AM Re: What Luck!!
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I sure wish you boys and girls would learn to read, write and spell. Don said the job paid $50 LESS THAN HE NORMALLY CHARGES!--NOT $50.

Forgive me, but I think I can read English quite well. There is a period after the $50. So if I cut up the lines the way he wrote them, it says:

the 4-piece band that cancelled was booked for $50.
less than I charge, so I played for their price.

So if he meant something else, he should have written it like this:
" the 4-piece band that cancelled was booked for $50 less than I charge, so I played for their price."

So who needs to learn how to read and write here? :-)

------------------
Roland EXR-5 user - http://www.exr5.tk

#116652 - 03/07/04 09:50 AM Re: What Luck!!
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
I understood Don's original post as he meant it, however, I have to agree with Burkels.

Gramatically he is correct in reading it the way that he did, but then the period could be said as to differentiate between dollars and cents as in $50.00. And so the arguement could continue.......

But I am staying out of it from here on in...lol

------------------
The old Newb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online