SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#175114 - 02/19/04 05:46 PM WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Holy Crap! I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this one with their PSR's, but I just realized it. I was playing around with some styles on my PSR and I was playing with the "Hip Hop" style. 10 seconds into this style I realized that the drum kit for that preset style WAS NOT a preset drum kit on the panel voices.. It was a different kit. There are a few intruments such as the snare, hi-hats, and bass drum that are changed. I know that the majority of the styles in my PSR-550 use the "Style Kit" for the drums with the exception of a few, but the Hip Hop stlye is the only one where the factory style kit is different within the style as compared to the preset kit on the panel voices. I was quite pleased with this kit too.. It adds a little more spice to Hip Hop drum tracks. The snare and hi-hat are tuned for that style.. Of course as usual there is always a catch. This particular kit CAN NOT be selected from the panel voices.. If you want to use this kit you have to select the Hip Hop style and edit it in order to use the kit on a style from scratch. Also this only gives you two measures as well. Has anyone else noticed this with their PSR's??????

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#175115 - 02/19/04 06:42 PM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
Shakil Offline

there are no hidden kits. they are just edited. you can edit each drum kit key by sysex commands. you will need external editor for this, you can't do this on PSR itself. But in styles, you can inster sysex commands to edit any drum key, refer to the MIDI documentation.

In that hip hop style, the snare is pitched up..
I do this all the time on my SW1000XG sound card using the XGEdit software.

[This message has been edited by Shakil (edited 02-19-2004).]

#175116 - 02/19/04 06:49 PM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

I know you can do this outside the keyboard.... I just think they should make these edited kits easily available on the keyboard. It really limits the use of the kit when using the keyboard only and no outside . The particular style that I noticed it on is only 2 bars.. I cant select a preset style that used 4 bars and use that edited style kit with it.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#175117 - 02/20/04 06:24 AM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

Also the reason I consider this a hidden kit is because it's available when using the Hip Hop style for style recording. The kit isn't a panel or preset voice.

Squeak

#175118 - 02/20/04 06:37 AM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
Dnj Offline

Squeak........any chance you could post some of your hip hop recordings? or anything else for us?

#175119 - 02/20/04 06:58 AM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

Actually I've got tons of hip hop work. When I was in college I used my PSR and a friends sampler to make hip hop beats for a lot of students. They started to call me Squeakybeats I haven't posted any of those here because I've noticed that isn't really a common style of music among the members, or should I say a common style of music that's posted here on the Zone.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-20-2004).]

#175120 - 02/20/04 07:07 AM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
Dnj Offline

Squeak so what your a member hre...and we share all facets of our KB artform.. dont you have any complete songs for us besides just beats?

#175121 - 02/20/04 07:07 AM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Squeak,
How do you know how many bars a style has?
Starkeeper

#175122 - 02/20/04 07:24 AM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

Yeah I've got full songs... I'll have to check into my older disks. Of course they're without the lyrics. I would use my PSR to make the backing tracks, and I had another friend that had a Roland recorder (can't remember the model number).. We would drop the tracks form the PSR down to it--of course this was after the tracks were run through a sampler so that decent effects could be added. After that we'd drop the sampled tracks down on the Roland and then went back in for vocals and little sound effects here and there. The biggest problem is that the PRS's really don't have any kits other than the one I found last night that are decent for hip hop. The kits on my PSR-550 are quite dated. I'd often use the effects from the sampler to spice things up.. For example we'd sample the drum beat by itself, and would apply an effect to it alone.. Then we'd sample the other tracks.., some indvidual and some together.. Then we'd sync the samples by BPM.. It worked out pretty well.. The Hip Hop songs I did don't sound anything like the finished recording because we used external gear to add effects.

Squeak

#175123 - 02/20/04 07:27 AM Re: WOW! Hidden Drum Kit On PSR's ! ! ! ! ! !
squeak_D Offline

Starkeeper, I find that out by playing with the styles. I can however tell you that if you want to record a style that has four measures, the very first style is 4 measures long. The majority are 2 bars, but there are a few that are 4. You can go to SVP world and get a temp. for style recording that's 8 bars

Squeak

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online