SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#121927 - 09/17/03 08:42 AM Professional Video editing and production
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hi everybody,

Does anybody of you do professional editing and production of video or movies?

If yes, What NLE do you use?

#121928 - 09/17/03 11:09 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Vquestor Offline

sk,
I have done some semi-professional productions in the past, and they were done
by consumer level programs, with very good
result. So you don't necessarily need the
expensive programs.
So my question to you is, exactly what kind
of video are you trying to edit , and will it have a lot of movement(like sports) or more stationary(like a live band)?

#121929 - 09/17/03 11:53 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Clif Anderson Offline

I don't make a living with video, but I have sold hundreds of videos that I have made. Currently I am working on a pair of Chinese dance shows that I shot with 4 3-CCD cameras. I am editing the items presently using Vegas+DVD. I burn to DVD and sell the videos that way, no longer bothering with video tape.

I have used a number of low end video editors, as well as Premiere 6.5. I haven't tried Premiere Pro. However, Vegas 3.0 and Vegas 4.0 were far superior to Premiere 6.5 in several respects. The real-time rendering was superior. Also, layering of the different camera angles is eaiser.

For DVD authoring, I have also tried a few low end programs, but I was using DVDIt primarily. It did the job ok, but I had problems with stability. Then I switched to DVD Architect (that comes with Vegas plus DVD). It integrates well with Vegas and has some nice features, but it disappoints in an import respect--at least in terms of what I have figured out so far. That is, I want a DVD to start playing when I insert it, but have a menu to refer to whenever the user wants. DVD architect doesnt' really give you this option. So I am considering Pinnacle Impression Pro, but haven't tried it yet.

#121930 - 09/17/03 01:45 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Reminds me .... since my separation a year ago, I wanted to transfer all our home movies to DVD, so we can each have a copy. (She can keep the old VHS...I want digital !)
I have about 4 or 5 Tapes. Can anyone here make the transfers for me? What cost?
I don't need any editing at all. No markers or headers...just push play and do something else till the tape stops.
Anyone interrested?

#121931 - 09/18/03 10:18 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks all for all responses. I am considering one of the following:

1) Pinnacle Edition Liquid pro + Adobe After effects.

2) Vegas 4 + DVD + Adobe After effects.

Additionally, I was considering one of the following:

1) Matrox RT + Adobe Premiere Pro (the new version) + After Effects.

2) Avid ExpressDV pro + After effects.

But it seems to me that the first two systems are better.

I am not sure.

Concerning the movement, It will be lot of interviews initially but then it will move into lot of movements. So both aspects are needed.

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 09-18-2003).]

#121932 - 09/18/03 10:31 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Clif Anderson Offline

I have a friend that is starting a video business. He will do one DVD-R as a test for UD $20 per DVD-R. I recommend you copy any video before you send it out.

#121933 - 09/18/03 10:39 AM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi SK

Of those, I have only worked with Vegas plus DVD. Except for the challenge/response authorization required, it is very impressive. The only thing that I miss in Vegas is a separate transition track (found in older versions of Premiere), which is useful for the way I work.

I actually use Pinnacle Studio 7 (low end and now obsolete) for some of the effects. I kind of hope you will go for the Pinnacle Edition and report back to us.

The only other recommendation I have is to consider not buying Adobe After Effects until you are sure it meets a need you can't fill using the video editor you buy.

#121934 - 09/18/03 06:44 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Maged Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
You should also consider Ulead Media Studio Pro. I have been using this amazing sofware for 6 years and I like it a lot better than Adobe premiere. http://www.ulead.com/msp/runme.htm

Maged

#121935 - 09/18/03 06:54 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Cliff,
As soon as i get the tapes copied....I'll see if your friend is still interested! Thanx !

#121936 - 09/18/03 07:37 PM Re: Professional Video editing and production
Rock&Roll Joe Offline

Loc: Hensley, AR USA
Just my 2 cents......

If you want to get into professional video editing make sure that you have a dedicated computer that is built for that purpose.

Now on the Windows platform....AVID is probably the most known system. Various levels of pricing. Also Adobe Premier, Vegas, InSync Speed Razor are also very good packages.

On the Apple MAC Platform you have AVID, Media 100, and Final Cut Pro.

At my office we have the AVID and Final Cut Pro on MACS. I've been using both systems now for two solid years and I'm still learning new stuff.

Both platforms have pros and cons. Until 2001 I had never played with a MAC. Since using the two that we have I can say there are things I like and don't like. Besides money! The biggest choice is simply you deciding what software interface works best for you.

If you have any specific questions I'll be glad to address.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online