Professional Video editing and production

Posted by: sk880user

Professional Video editing and production - 09/17/03 08:42 AM

Hi everybody,

Does anybody of you do professional editing and production of video or movies?

If yes, What NLE do you use?
Posted by: Vquestor

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/17/03 11:09 AM

sk,
I have done some semi-professional productions in the past, and they were done
by consumer level programs, with very good
result. So you don't necessarily need the
expensive programs.
So my question to you is, exactly what kind
of video are you trying to edit , and will it have a lot of movement(like sports) or more stationary(like a live band)?
Posted by: Clif Anderson

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/17/03 11:53 AM

I don't make a living with video, but I have sold hundreds of videos that I have made. Currently I am working on a pair of Chinese dance shows that I shot with 4 3-CCD cameras. I am editing the items presently using Vegas+DVD. I burn to DVD and sell the videos that way, no longer bothering with video tape.

I have used a number of low end video editors, as well as Premiere 6.5. I haven't tried Premiere Pro. However, Vegas 3.0 and Vegas 4.0 were far superior to Premiere 6.5 in several respects. The real-time rendering was superior. Also, layering of the different camera angles is eaiser.

For DVD authoring, I have also tried a few low end programs, but I was using DVDIt primarily. It did the job ok, but I had problems with stability. Then I switched to DVD Architect (that comes with Vegas plus DVD). It integrates well with Vegas and has some nice features, but it disappoints in an import respect--at least in terms of what I have figured out so far. That is, I want a DVD to start playing when I insert it, but have a menu to refer to whenever the user wants. DVD architect doesnt' really give you this option. So I am considering Pinnacle Impression Pro, but haven't tried it yet.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/17/03 01:45 PM

Reminds me .... since my separation a year ago, I wanted to transfer all our home movies to DVD, so we can each have a copy. (She can keep the old VHS...I want digital !)
I have about 4 or 5 Tapes. Can anyone here make the transfers for me? What cost?
I don't need any editing at all. No markers or headers...just push play and do something else till the tape stops.
Anyone interrested?

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/18/03 10:18 AM

Thanks all for all responses. I am considering one of the following:

1) Pinnacle Edition Liquid pro + Adobe After effects.

2) Vegas 4 + DVD + Adobe After effects.

Additionally, I was considering one of the following:

1) Matrox RT + Adobe Premiere Pro (the new version) + After Effects.

2) Avid ExpressDV pro + After effects.

But it seems to me that the first two systems are better.

I am not sure.

Concerning the movement, It will be lot of interviews initially but then it will move into lot of movements. So both aspects are needed.

[This message has been edited by sk880user (edited 09-18-2003).]

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/18/03 10:31 AM

I have a friend that is starting a video business. He will do one DVD-R as a test for UD $20 per DVD-R. I recommend you copy any video before you send it out.

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/18/03 10:39 AM

Hi SK

Of those, I have only worked with Vegas plus DVD. Except for the challenge/response authorization required, it is very impressive. The only thing that I miss in Vegas is a separate transition track (found in older versions of Premiere), which is useful for the way I work.

I actually use Pinnacle Studio 7 (low end and now obsolete) for some of the effects. I kind of hope you will go for the Pinnacle Edition and report back to us.

The only other recommendation I have is to consider not buying Adobe After Effects until you are sure it meets a need you can't fill using the video editor you buy.
Posted by: Maged

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/18/03 06:44 PM

You should also consider Ulead Media Studio Pro. I have been using this amazing sofware for 6 years and I like it a lot better than Adobe premiere. http://www.ulead.com/msp/runme.htm

Maged
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/18/03 06:54 PM

Cliff,
As soon as i get the tapes copied....I'll see if your friend is still interested! Thanx !
Posted by: Rock&Roll Joe

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/18/03 07:37 PM

Just my 2 cents......

If you want to get into professional video editing make sure that you have a dedicated computer that is built for that purpose.

Now on the Windows platform....AVID is probably the most known system. Various levels of pricing. Also Adobe Premier, Vegas, InSync Speed Razor are also very good packages.

On the Apple MAC Platform you have AVID, Media 100, and Final Cut Pro.

At my office we have the AVID and Final Cut Pro on MACS. I've been using both systems now for two solid years and I'm still learning new stuff.

Both platforms have pros and cons. Until 2001 I had never played with a MAC. Since using the two that we have I can say there are things I like and don't like. Besides money! The biggest choice is simply you deciding what software interface works best for you.

If you have any specific questions I'll be glad to address.

Joe
Posted by: Vquestor

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/18/03 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maged:
You should also consider Ulead Media Studio Pro. I have been using this amazing sofware for 6 years and I like it a lot better than Adobe premiere. http://www.ulead.com/msp/runme.htm

Maged

If you want to go to the midrange level,
I would also highly recommend "Ulead Media
Studio Pro 7". I have used it, and it is
excellent. The concensus is that it is much
more user friendly than Premier(although I have not tried Premier 6.5 yet).
You might also want to check out www.abcdv.com for more info on midrange to highrange software.
I have used Pinnacle Studio7, and it is
really good and easy for adding Titling.
Stay away from Studio 8 since it is very
buggy. If you do decide to go low end,
I find the Ulead products(Movie Factory,
VideoStudio7) to be the best. Also for
DVD authoring, Ulead DVD Workshop is excellent.
For high end authoring, a friend of mine uses
Sonic ReelDVD, and is very impressed by it.
If you have a very powerful PC, you really don't need a dedicated card.
BTW, I have read about Pinnacle Edition,
and it seems to have a different interface approach than others, and has a steep learning curve. I, personally, am now staying away from Pinnacle, after getting burned several times with software that was just too buggy, and really not ready for release. Unfortunately, these are the same people that bought Steinberg.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 09-18-2003).]

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/18/03 08:59 PM

Rock&Roll Joe,

What Avid system have you used?

By the way, I am a PC guy. But I assure you if FCP4 was on a PC, I would have purchased it right away.
Posted by: svpworld

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/19/03 03:23 AM

I have done quite a bit, including weddings, corporate videos, concerts and charity events. I mainly film in digital using a Sony VX1000 and then capture using Firewire. Editing I prefer Adobe Premiere, though I also incorporate 3DFX for animation. Usually then render out to DVD but sometimes in analog using Miro hardware (DC30) or even from the video card.

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/19/03 09:25 AM

If you use only one camera, then there are lots of good choices, even at the low end. At the mid-range, Vegas excels at synchronizing audio and videos from different sources so that they can be superimposed. Adjustments to transparency can be made while a video is playing.

I videod a show where kids danced to and also sang to "1000 miles". I was given a cassette tape of their singing and videod the dancing. Unfortunately, due to tape speed problems, the tape audio was longer than the video performance. Vegas, made by the same company that developed Sound Forge and ACID, allowed me to adjust the length of the audio to fit the video with no pitch problems.

With Premiere 6.5 and below, real-time adjustments were not practical. I have found the human-user-interface on ULEAD products to be inferior to most other products, but it depends on what you are used to. The rec.video.desktop newsgroup is a good place for information on this topic.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 09-19-2003).]

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/19/03 11:00 AM

I was thinking of recording Audio not through the camcorder (I will be using two Canon XL1s), but to the DAW directly. How can all of this be synchronized together?

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. I really appreciate this.
Posted by: Rock&Roll Joe

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/19/03 07:34 PM

sk880user.....

My office is running the AVID Express System on a Mac G4. At the time we purchased it the choices were Express DV, Express, Media Composer, Symphony, and I think there is one above that.

We've also got Final Cut Pro sitting on another G4. Both systems are great and have their pros and cons. In fact I finished up two different commercials today...one on each system.

Although I love both of these systems, I still believe that with a dedicated computer, lots of RAM, a dedicated drive(s) for media, and the software that you feel comfortable with, you can produce very good results. In some ways it's almost like the choices of keyboards and instruments....the sounds, interfaces, name brand, and cost are what drives people to certain brands over others.

Best of luck with what ever you decide.

Joe

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/20/03 07:53 AM

sk

Even though you do not plan to use the audio tracks from your XL1s in the final product, you can use them to synchronize the two video tracks and the DAW audio track. Vegas, for example, shows the waveform data. You can visually align the peaks of the DAW audio to the camera audio, then mute the camera audio tracks.

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/20/03 05:23 PM

Clif,

True. Thanks a lot for the article by the way. I have met its author in person and basically he thought highly of Vegas. I am waiting for him to try other newer packages. By the way, what about use SMPTE code to synch all tracks?

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/20/03 09:17 PM

Well, I haven't used SMPTE and would be happy if anyone could explain its use in synchronizing. Interesting coincidence (?)SK met the author of the Vegas review.
Posted by: Micco

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/23/03 02:24 AM

I do professional video productions for living and I also study AV communication. Two days ago I arrived from my first trip to USA. I was in California - Arizona - Nevada aria. There I was doing a video production for the other people that where in our group.

I have PowerMac G4 Dual 1GHz with 1 Gb of RAM and 3x120 Gb HD. I have a Sony VX2000E camcorder and I use Final Cut Pro 3 and DVD Studio Pro 1.5.

Micco

Re: Professional Video editing and production - 09/23/03 09:01 AM

Micco,

Three questions for you:

1) Panasonic DVX100, what do you think of it? Is it better than Sony PD150?

2) FCP4 is excellent but I am truly PC guy. What do you think of premiere pro, which was completely rewritten?

3) SMPTE for synching voice with video? Can you tell us how this works?

4) what is the benefit of shooting in 24P?