SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#162029 - 06/27/03 09:26 PM Psr 2000 Problem
mr82thebar Offline

Loc: Baltimore,Md.
Hi all, I usually just stop by every night and read the messages that are very informative. I don't know enough to participate most of the time, but enjoy the chatter back and forth. I have over the last two years found out that there are many knowledgeable people on this forum. Hope someone can help. My PSR 2000 all of a sudden has a problem that i can't figure out. When i turn the keyboard on i noticed that the "break", "ending" , "fade in/ fade out" and the Swing & Jazz buttons will not function. I tried a reset, but that did no good. All of the other functions seem to be working fine. When i do a reset, the transpose goes up to +12, and the fade in/ fade out and ending buttons light up, but after touching stop/start they do not work. any help would sure be appriciated. I have a gig today and will hopefully get by , by using the intro as the ending and try to stay away from the Swing and Jazz styles altogether. Thanks, Bob

------------------
Bob Lee

#162030 - 06/27/03 09:56 PM Re: Psr 2000 Problem
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bob, I don't know of any normal condition that would cause your keyboard to act that way. I think you need to get it to a service center asap.
The only time I've had keyboards act in such a manner is when they had water or moisture in them. This was quite a long time ago, and not the PSR2000. After it dried out it resume normal operation though.
I would take a backup of some sort to the job! Wish I could be more help.
DonM
P.S.
You can copy the Swing and Jazz styles you need to a floppy and play them from there.
If you can't get to them on your keyboard, you can find them on the internet.

#162031 - 06/27/03 10:23 PM Re: Psr 2000 Problem
mr82thebar Offline

Thanks Don, I'll go to the Yamaha website and try to download the styles. The only thing i can think of is that i left the 2000 in my van overnight ( like a dummy ) and it was in the ninties during the day. I brought it in tonight and will try it out in the morning. I guess if it still doesn't work i'll have to take it in to get it repaired. Thanks again, Bob

#162032 - 06/28/03 06:59 AM Re: Psr 2000 Problem
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Heat will do in a keyboard. I took my old PSR220 to a local buskers carnival some years ago and even in the shade the keyboard quit when it got up to 90. Just wouldn't do anything. Took it back indoors and cooled it down and it was OK. Looks like yours was well and truly cooked if you left it in the car in that heat.

Bryan

#162033 - 06/28/03 07:14 AM Re: Psr 2000 Problem
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I often worry (a litle) about leaving my PA80 in the car overnight, but so far - I have never had a temperature-related problem with any keyboard. I never unload the car, and it's been plenty hot and freezing cold here in Philly. Someone upstairs must like me !
I DO take my computer, guitars or wind instruments in every night. I'd never leave any of those out in the elements.

#162034 - 06/28/03 06:55 PM Re: Psr 2000 Problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm afraid your keyboard just bought the farm. Keep in mind that the inside of a car can reach temperatures exceeding 165 degrees when left in direct sunlight. At that temperature, your keyboard's components would be fried, especially if exposed to those conditions for an extended period of time. Dave leads a charmed life or parks the car in the shade--probably both. At the very least, the mother board will likely have to be replaced. The switch pads can usually tolerate temperatures up to about 180 degrees before the plastic bubbles become deformed or pop.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#162035 - 07/02/03 08:30 PM Re: Psr 2000 Problem
mr82thebar Offline

Thanks all for the reply's. looks like my 2000 is cooked and i'll have to see what it will cost to repair it. In the meantime i'm using a Ketron XD9 that i thought i woud purchase, but after having a X1 i found that the XD9 is not much better. thus, i will buy a tyros since i play for a lot of seniors, and need the big band, ballroom, etc. styles. The sounds are terrific so i'll just have to grin and bear it and put out the extra money. ( Credit of course ) thanks again, Bob Lee

------------------
Bob Lee

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online