SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#159605 - 06/02/03 08:58 AM Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave always says that onboard speakers are essential. Personally I never really cared that much, until recently.
I have done three private "society" parties lately and used only the onboard speakers from the PSR2000. The volume and sound were perfect. Any more would have been too loud.
There are some of the best-paying jobs I've had in a while. ... and talk about easy set-up! Just the keyboard, mic and stand.
I think I will add on-board speakers to my list of must-haves for future new keyboards, unless something comes out that will convince me otherwise.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 06-02-2003).]

#159606 - 06/02/03 09:22 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Right Don.
Last week I played for 30 people in a small party.
The 2000 was perfect just with on board speakers.
Just a tip : The best sound of in board speakers that I have heard is MZ2000, from Casio...
Last night I joinned the 2000 to MZ2000 speakers and I had a nice surprise.
Chico

#159607 - 06/02/03 10:20 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You're right Chico.. Those speakers on the MZ-2000 are really nice. They have great low end, and sound great in the mid and high range as well. I think they're 15 watts.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#159608 - 06/02/03 11:43 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
I played a Mothers Day private party for about 20 people,
I took my KN5000 & just used the onboard speakers it was boring
for me.
To me it sounded so dead, no life, yuk, everyone else
thought it was great. But I will never do that again.
I'm used to the 9000 Pro, a pair of Yamaha MS-400 speakers,
Yamaha MX-12/6 mixer, & a dual 31 band EQ.
I also connect the KN5000 to this system & it sounds great.
But I always mute the onboard speakers of the KN5000.
I just can not get used to the tiny, toy sounding onboard speakers.
I guess I'm just weard
Enjoying the old 9000 Pro
Denny

#159609 - 06/02/03 02:12 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I strictly use the PSR-2000's onboard speakers for a monitor, however, when I had a PSR-5700, it had a built-in 50-watt amp and two great speakers, more than enough for playing background music for small cocktail parties. Those folks didn't want anything loud and did not want vocals, so it was perfect for this type of venue. Anything larger, and especially with vocals, I'll always use an external amp. BTW: Uncle Dave may not always be right, but he's never wrong!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#159610 - 06/02/03 02:14 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
DonM: Great to hear that the built in speakers alone are working for you for your small private party affairs, but I have to agree with Denny. The onboard speakers on the PSR2000, though an improvement over the Technics KN5000 one's, just don't cut it for me, for providing the 'sole' sound source, even for those small venue background music type jobs. The problem is NOT volume, but that the PSR2000 4.72" woofers aren't able to deliver 'smooth rich' sound, that only larger woofers can provide.

On the other hand, I do LOVE 'built into the kb speakers' for stage monitoring purposes, as they're positioned & aimed ideally for us the keyboard player.

The thing I like about my new Motion Sound KP-100S for small-medium venues, is that it's able to perform DOUBLE duty, positioned directly behind me, it functions both as my personal stage monitor, as well as acting as the MAINS: delivering a rich smooth 'full bodied' sound into the room (audience). I'm especially thrilled now after I recently swapped out the factory woofers with ones that significantly extend the bass frequency response. Previous to this, I would need to take the Tyros TRS-M01 subwoofer, but this is no longer the case. I feel I now have both my cake and can eat it too, cuz not only has my gig load gotten lighter, but gig setup time has gotten easier (quicker), and sound quality has improved substantially as well.

Scott

#159611 - 06/02/03 04:03 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I've said this before................It used to be that if a keyboard had onboard speakers it was considered a toy, certainly not a pro type instrument. Having a PSR2000 its onboard speakers are the best onboard speakers I have heard on ANY Yamaha board. I heard that Yamaha started using a 12 volt automotive type sound system (which might explain the 16 volt adapter) the last few years so they can use some common 12 volt top of the line audio processor chips like high end car systems use.

#159612 - 06/02/03 06:55 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don, you're finally gettin' it right, huh?
For some, who may have lost some hearing sensitivity, or just "don't get it" ..... they will always feel naked without the larger boxes at their sides. For the rest of us, who have found that musical "nirvana of ease", and realize that volume is more often than not, a distraction - I salute you ! (us)

You are finding out waht I have know for ages ..... that size really DOES matter, and some parties do not require the added "ooomph" or the "fuller bass" or the (ugly) poles. They just want nice music, with entertaining vocals .... a little interaction with the clientelle ... more class than brass.

I will never endorse the sound of built in speakers as "superior" to a quality system, but I do recognize that it is sometimes EXACTLY what is called for. Especially in multi-million dollar homes and fancy country clubs ...... the visual is important, and the look of stage gear is very often "overkill". It even scares some clients just LOOKING at larger speakers in a situation where a small Bose Radio would be sufficient. (which I DO use occasionally !)

Don't be so quick to knock the system folks - Trust me ...... sometimes "Little is best"

#159613 - 06/03/03 01:08 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Having just use the PSR2k with just its speakers (to back a singer at a function) I wonder if it would be possible to run a sub-woofer from the PSR's oututs to "beef up" the bottom end and use the internals "as is" for the rest?

#159614 - 06/03/03 07:04 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Pro,

It's not the equipment--it's the performer. I've seen lots of performers that could keep a party hopping with an "El-Cheapo" keyboard that that sounds marginal at best--even when amplified. In contrast, there are a lot of indivuals who try to pass themselves off as entertainers who have incredibly expensive equipment, read and play music well, but couldn't fill a dance floor or please a crowd at a cocktail party if their lives depended on it. I've owned a dozen keyboards, some of which were really expensive, and to this day, no one has come up to me and said anything about the keyboard's appearance. NO ONE, EVER, AT ANY TIME, ever looked at any of my keyboards and said "gee you only have 61 keys. They don't care if it has 2,000 keys, or if the color is silver, black, blue, gold or rocket red--just as long as they're entertained. You would be amazed how many people do say, however, "We loved the music, it was very entertaining, and I'm glad that you didn't do what the last guy did and crank up the volume to the point where you had to scream at the person standing next to you." IMHO, in this business if you're not keeping people entertained, you're out of business.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online