SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#159615 - 06/03/03 07:34 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
if it would be possible to run a sub-woofer from the PSR's oututs to "beef up" the bottom end and use the internals "as is" for the rest?

I do that alot, and only use a small 150watt bass amp, made by Gallian Krueger. (It's really only 90watts with a single speaker) This is very often all you need for that fuller bottom. Don't try to impress anyone with "stuff", unless it's the "stuff" that you have in your heart. From the bedroom to the ballroom ..... my stuff is always appreciated.

#159616 - 06/03/03 08:36 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Though I agree with Travelin'Easy that it's the performance that should count most, I have to admit that most of my private affair hi society type clients, image is probably just as important as the performance, so taking the PSR2000 is a definite NO NO. These people often have an expensive grand piano typically for looks as they usually can't play it themselves) so in these instances, I'll utilize the grand piano during the dinner hour, reserving the arranger keyboard for cocktails & after dinner entertainment.

As far as sound quality goes, even at very low background volume levels, 4.72" built into keyboard type speakers alone DO NOT cut it in my book. An even slightly larger dedicated PA speaker (or augmenting the built in speaker kb with a sub woofer) produces a 'smoother' more realistic (natural) sound with far greater accuracy & detail. Interestingly, it's these small venues playing exposed (bass/drums/piano) style music where I find augmenting with a dedicated PA speaker or sub woofer essential.

btw: I always stipulate in my contract that the acoustic piano must be in tune & regulated, and with (no broken or missing keys/strings). I'm always amazed how so many pianos that look beautiful, actually sound awful as a lot of rich people primarily purchase pianos as 'status image' display furniture only and don't (can't) play themselves.

Scott

#159617 - 06/03/03 09:20 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
Uncle Dave Offline

Anyone who thinks that the actual measurment of a speaker counts for anything is really missing the larger picture here. The best compliment I can give the manufacturers of today's gear is that they really make them sound GREAT in their own, internal world.

Sure, we can make their sound even better with the advanced technology of a higher end system, but the simple fact is ..... most arranger kb's in the $1000+ range really do have a nice balanced sound.
Now, to be fair, it doesn't carry very far ... but it was never intended to. In many instances, the sound of an even, pleasing background song is absolutely perfect when accompanying a strong, well trained voice in the hands of a seasoned performer.

Whenever I am in a situation where the volume is a minimal requiriemnt, I try to put all the puzzle pieces together for a great fit. This included my voice. Sometimes, I don't even need to amplify that. My acoustic sound is pretty strong, and many times at wedding services, I use the kb speakers and my acoustic voice ... and that's it.

Churches (and some tents) have terrific natural reverb, and my voice carries to the last seat without a strain.

It's all a case of perspective. Sometimes, little, tiny, plastic speakers really DO cut it. If you haven't experienced a situation like this yet .... you're missing a great time. It's nice to hear the acoustic nature of ANY instrument to remind you of the purity and soul that it can convey, and vocals are no exception.

Before you all start singing the "larger PA is best" saga ........ set up in a small room, and quietly, intimatly communicate with a relaxed nature. See if you like it.
I personally, enjoy the heck out of it.

I'm 48 and have been singing since 1969. The only reason I still have perfect hearing is because I never embraced the volume.

Gear will never "make" a peformance. Please forget everything you ever heard that might suggest that you are a better musician if you use better gear. A master carpenter with a cheap hammer can build a fine house, but a weak voiced singer with no sense of swing can never make a millon dollar keyboard entertain a crowd. You gotta have heart, before you can sell your soul!

#159618 - 06/03/03 11:46 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
Uncle Dave Offline

Well, it lookslike this post makes no sense, since Esh bailed out, so I'll edit the content instead of deleting it.

Basically - he slammed me for wearing jeans in that picture, so I defended my reasons. No harsh words .... no harm, no foul.
No Esh ..... No loss.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 06-04-2003).]

#159619 - 06/03/03 11:56 AM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WEEEEEOOOOOOOO, WEEEEEOOOOOO, WEEEEEOOOOOO,
INCOMING!!! INCOMING!!! INCOMING!!!
t.

#159620 - 06/03/03 12:58 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
No removing of threads.
Starkeeper

#159621 - 06/03/03 01:03 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Betcha 10 bucks it's gone by tomorrow!

mike

#159622 - 06/03/03 04:00 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Rattley, Yamaha have been using automotive type audio chips for some time. I have them in both my 740 and 220. The chip in question is the Sanyo LA4705 which will run up to 24V and 25W per channel. All they've done in the 2000 is to up the voltage from 12 to 16 which theoretically ups the output to nearly double that in the 740.

Bryan

#159623 - 06/03/03 07:45 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
WooooooooW
Looks like I must have mist out on some body's post, between UD's
2 post's.
Seam's like things were getting warmed up.
What the heck, just because some of us don't like the sound of onboard
speakers,( maybe never will ) & others do like the sound, don't make
any of us right or wrong, it's just or own preference.
If we all liked the same things then the only KB that would have to be
made would be the 9000 Pro. ( Hee Hee Hee )
Did I say that ????
Denny

#159624 - 06/03/03 07:53 PM Re: Maybe Uncle Dave is right! (for once)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Damn, would have loved to to see that post between both of UD's... Can anyone fill us in (those of us who didn't get the chance to see the post) Who was it from? By what UD said in his second post something heavy must have been said...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online