SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140490 - 07/27/02 03:25 PM Tact switch problem on PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

I'm having lots of problems with my PSR2000s. I had a problem that was just repaired. Button #C on the Style Control section wasn't working unless I pressed it extra hard. It took five weeks before my semi local tech had time to take a look at it. In the meantime I was playing my other PSR 2000.

It took them three weeks for it to be ready, I brought it home, and guess what? They didn't fix it at all. I brought it back, and had to wait another week. It turns out there was a problem with the tact switch of that button. I probably wore it out.

As soon as I got it back, I started noticing that the Break button of my other PSR2000 wasn't working about 10% of the time when I pressed it.

So I made a service appointment and started using the PSR2000 that was just repaired. Then, to my horror, I discovered that I'm having the same problem with the Ending button of the one that was just repaired. Sometimes, I have to press the button three or four times until it responds. A bit embarrassing live!

So I have two malfunctioning PSR2000s.

So I had to buy a third one, which I will probably return after I get these other two urgently repaired. I'll have to shell out some extra money to get them repaired.

This is not a professional keyboard. It has a lot of professional features, but it is constructed for amateurs.

Has anybody else had problems with their switches wearing out?

Beakybird

#140491 - 07/27/02 03:54 PM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Beackybird,
I think the problem your have is that the "tact" or "dimple" switch is gone again.( I1m sure you knew that) but if the 2000 is like all the other psr`s it`s not one switch but a "membrain" that has "dimples" on it that needs to be replaced. Sometimes a "tech" will try to "shim-it-up" rather than order a whole "membrain". In some psr`s that involes the whole KB , while others are sectional [ie style buttons]. In your case I would suggest that they replace the entire section that has gone bad (a shim-job is basicaly a cheap and temp-fix) On a KB the size of the 2000 I would think that the "dimple" switches would be sectional. But either way the part has to be ordered so ask the "tech" to check them all , some others may be on there way out . Sorry to haer about the bad times with the Y2K. That was my biggest complaint is that the build quality just is not there. It`s a great KB made bad and that`s a shame where else are you going to get what the 2K offers for a 1K price tag !
Best of luck my friend let us know how you made out, Take care
jedi

#140492 - 07/27/02 09:57 PM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I warned you all ! At the very first sign of cheezy construction, I dumped my 2k in a hurry ! They are NOT built well, and I could not take a chance of breakdowns through NORMAL use. Sure, any old weird thing can happen, but HEY ! - these buttons NEED to be pushed alot in a performance. Unless you are playing in your living room, and are VERY gentle....... I have to advise you NOT to use the 2k. It's like playing Russian Roulette with your livelyhood ! Don't do it.

I was drawn to it because of the features too, but it really is not built well, and that is too big an issue to compromise for the quality of work that I need to put out. My clients deserve my best stuff, and the 2k is not up to the task.

It's a shame too - it's sounded great, and it sure is light, but ........ it's just a toy in every other respect. I really hope they build a beefy one in the same size catagory soon. It's waaaay overdue !

#140493 - 07/27/02 11:18 PM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Beakbird: I'm really sorry to hear about your PSR2000 troubles. I haven't noticed any problems similar to yours (on mine) even though I've been performing professionally on it since Nov 2001.

DonM: I somehow think your 2000 and mine may have come from the 'same' production batch, cuz mine too (since Nov 2001) has had to endure constant transporing, gig setup & breakdown, pretty instense playing though not no real Banging (no synth was designed to handle this), and still shows no evidence of problems (knock on wood). In fact, I just got home from an intense 6 hour gig of entertainng (with the PSR2000) for a big summer city block party & food festival here. My audience was continually amazed how I was able to energize the crowd (with a sea of people dancing in the street) with just the 2000 & my solo vocals (abeit with the help of the 2000's harmonizer giving the show an even BIGGER sound). I still can't get over it's price & features, how easy & quickly it is to transport & move, and most of all, the FULLY PROFESSIONAL sound it delivers. Ok, I'm first to admit that the PSR2000 isn't built as solidly as I'd like, and that the keyboard action is rather lightweight & flimsy , but this is probably the chief reason Yamaha was able to keep it under 25 lbs. Still, after years of becoming accustomed to the fully weighted keys of my acoustic Grand piano, I was (surprisingly) pretty quickly able to adapt to the 2000's lightweight feel. Call the PSR2000 a toy or whatever, but, after 9 months of gigging exclusively with it, it continues to 'deliver the goods' for me. Am I just lucky, and will my luck run out soon? I don't know, but I sure have gotten back many many times MORE than what I paid for the PSR2000.

Scott

#140494 - 07/28/02 07:25 AM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It is an amazing keyboard for the price. Why, 3 or 4 years ago you couldn't have bought all these features no matter what the price.
I announced at the piano bar last night that mine was for sale (I was playing my friend's 2k) and I had three people offer to buy it on the spot.
I think I will sell, while it is still in good condition. I can use the 8000 until I get something new. I'm trying to decide whether to get Dave's PA80 or try a XD9.
Don

#140495 - 07/28/02 07:57 AM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
Bluebird Offline

A few months ago, a lot of posts here spoke very well about PSR2000, and some of synthzone readers perhaps own a PSR2000, because reading those posts.

But now, only Scott remains loving PSR2000. For must the others, the dark side of that kb become...

And so, what are new owners thinking about? And, what can they do? Try to sell its 2000 to another? To repair each week a new bug?

I don't remember similar situation whith another keyboard (Yamaha or another) in these pages... So, what's the matter? why now and not before? why PSR2000 and not PSR1000, or 740, or 500...??

#140496 - 07/28/02 08:04 AM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
Bob Gelman Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I don't get it! I've used my PSR-630 for 5+ years and never had ANY problem with the accompaniment buttons. This membrane technology is nothing new. All our PC keyboards use it. I spilled coffee on my PC keyboard. I opened it, cleaned it off, and it worked again. The second time this happened it couldn't get it going so I got a new one. BUT, if I didn't dump coffee on it I'm sure I would not have had problems. I wonder if there is a dirt/dust issue here. Particles getting down where the membrane is can easily screw up the contacts. There really is no "switch" here with moving parts to wear out. It's just two sheets of plastic that having circuits printed on them. When you press a key it pushes them together at that spot (on the plastic "sandwich") and an electrical circuit is completed. Hmmmm....

#140497 - 07/28/02 08:09 AM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
DonM Offline

As I said, I haven't had any problems with mine. I play it normally--I don't pound it, but don't hold back either.
I'm just changing because it's time for me to change. And I'm still p***ed off at Yamaha.
Maybe next year when the Tyros is finally available and some of you work the bugs out of it I'll check it out.
DonM

#140498 - 07/28/02 08:33 AM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

The keyboard that was recently repaired for this problem (that exhibited itself with Style Control Button C) might be working properly after all. The break button was giving me a problem once in a while. It might be because I'm paranoid about my keyboard breaking again. You see, I noticed that sometimes (about 10% of the time) when I tap the button, sometimes, it doesn't get depressed. Whenever I depress the button, it always works. I have noticed this with the other buttons. I think that since I'm worried about the keyboard failing on me, I might be tapping the buttons extra light so that they won't fail on me again.

Maybe some other PSR2000 owners can bear out that sometimes if you tap a style control button without pressing it, it won't activate.

Nevertheless, it still stands that both keyboards malfunctioned with the problem that a style control button wouldn't work even when fully depressed.

Beakybird

#140499 - 07/28/02 11:26 AM Re: Tact switch problem on PSR2000
DonM Offline

I haven't had one fail to work when pressed, but you certainly can tap it too lightly so that it doesn't engage. I use my fill, break and intro buttons a lot--nearly every song.
Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online