SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97772 - 04/19/02 06:20 PM Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Everyone,
Are Midi disk`s that you buy better than what you can get off the web? And are the one with "lyrics "they the same as .kar files?
Thank you for your help
jedi

#97773 - 04/19/02 06:35 PM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
Anonymous
Unregistered

.kar files are midi files *without* the melody track. Both kinds can include syncronized lyrics.

Commercial midi/kar files generally have good quality, but some midi file sellers make more sophisticated orchestrations than others. The quality of the files that can be found on the the web is much less homogeneous. There are very basic ones, but some have a quality comparable to commercial ones.

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 04-22-2002).]

#97774 - 04/19/02 07:44 PM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
"Tune1000" is just a company name, and although they include lyrics in their sequences, they are NOT ".kar" files.
I guess it's easy to confuse the two, but t1000's are all ".mid" extentions.
They are very good sequences, BTW.

#97775 - 04/20/02 12:19 AM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
GNMidi can convert .mid to .kar and vice versa. It also does a lot of other neat things. You can check it out for free. Gunter Nagler has the program. www.gnmidi.com
DonM

#97776 - 04/20/02 02:01 PM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
jedi Offline

Hi matias&Uncle Dave,
Thanks for your info So the "commercially avalible" GM midi disk`s have better sound that the "free-stuff"?

Hi DonM,
Thanks for the link, but I have a "Mac" However, I found a site last night, http://www.koolpages.com/karaoke/ , that has a bunch of downloadable files that are in ".mid" format but if you want to see the lyrics all you have to do is change the.mid extension to .kar and youv`e got lyrics that you can use with Apples "Quick Time Player"
Thanks again for all your help
jedi

PS: If any of you would like "Quick Time" for "Windows" the link is:> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

#97777 - 04/21/02 04:31 AM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I use midi files; homebrew, commercial; net downloads (including converted .kar files).

"Quality" in all cases is very subjective and whilst the commercial ones (especially of older material thats not been rushed out) tends to be more usable "out of the box" the standard is variable from all sources and I always end up tweaking to a greater or lesser extent.

Even from commercial disks it is sometimes hard to work out what arrangement of the original tune was used as source for the midi transcription! Lets not forget that printed sheet music can be amazingly inaccurate. Sometimes worse - I remember when Diana Ross did "Why Do Fools Fall In Love", which differs obviously from the "Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers" version in a few places. Not to the music publishers however; what they published was the older arrangement with DR's picture on the front!

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 04-21-2002).]

#97778 - 04/21/02 09:56 AM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
jedi Offline

Hi MacAllcock,
Thank you for your in-put, I guess what I`m trying to find out is, are there "commercially" avalible disk`s that are very close to the original, but with the vocal track removed.
jedi

#97779 - 04/21/02 11:30 AM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jedi, the answer to your last question is yes.I literaly have thousands of standard midi files with lyrics embedded in the file and harmony tracks[ to harmonize with your voice via vocalizer hardware].. You can easily remove or mute the lead channel usually channel 4 or 16...Tune 1000 sequences are among the best[especially for lyrics], Tryco are good and Hands on music are excellent, to name a few..

#97780 - 04/21/02 03:01 PM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
jedi Offline

Hi Fran,
Thank you for your responce there are a few that I would like to get (tune1000) but I wasn`t sure if I would be wasting my money. There are a bunch to be found on-line, but I have found them to be "ok" at best. I`m looking for some that are as close as possible to the original songs. Some that I have found on-line are good others seem to "mess-up" my 2000 so bad that I have to do a system re-set on the KB to get it back to the way it was before I inserted the disk
jedi

#97781 - 04/22/02 02:17 AM Re: Are "Tune1000/midi-Disk`s/ W-lyrics" the same as .kar
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
you can use almost any PC sequence program to edit out the lyrics/melody line very quckly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online