SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158148 - 11/19/01 02:02 PM Data Storage Methods: PSR2000 vs. Technics KN Keyboards
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
After a week, I'm still really enjoying the PSR2000. As you may know, this is my first new arranger keyboard since the KN5000. I wanted to point out some IMPORTANT differences in the way Yamaha (PSRs) store user data versus the way Technics (KNs) do:

On BOTH the PSR and KN keyboards, user data for a specific song or style setup is stored in 'separate' individual files (as follows):

1) Song
2) Style patterns
3) Memory Registration Setups
4) Multi Pads
5) Custom Sounds

Here is the MAJOR difference: With the Technics system, all 5 of the above files have the SAME name, but with a different file extension, and can be both saved (onto a floppy disk) TOGETHER (at once) or singly (if desired) and then re-loaded either all together at once, singly, or in any combination of files desired. On the other hand, with the Yamaha PSR system, each of the above files need to be individually stored to floppy or keyboard USER area, and then must be reloaded individually, one at time. It would be far better (faster efficient loading/saving) if Yamaha could take Technics lead here and allow you to tie the files together the way Technics does. Also, the Technics KN5000 board supports 10 banks of 8 custom 'memory registration setups' (72 total) onboard at ONE time, where the PSR2000 only supports 1 bank (1-8). Maybe the PSR9000/9000pro is more like Technics in this regard.

The big advantage to Yamaha's data storage system is that the onboard USER data storage area appears to hold MORE than Technics. The floppy disk load time appears faster too. The KN5000 onboard storage only holds a maximum of ONLY 20 customized styles & 40 customized sounds. - Scott

#158149 - 11/19/01 02:13 PM Re: Data Storage Methods: PSR2000 vs. Technics KN Keyboards
Beakybird Offline

Wait a second, Scott. You can copy all the files from a floppy and then paste them into the user section. And files can be in folders too. You are allowed four layers of folders. Perhaps I don't understand you, but it sounds to me like you might be mistaken.

Larry

#158150 - 11/19/01 11:09 AM Re: Data Storage Methods: PSR2000 vs. Technics KN Keyboards
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No, Scott is correct here. It's pretty neat.
DonM

#158151 - 11/19/01 03:01 PM Re: Data Storage Methods: PSR2000 vs. Technics KN Keyboards
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Scott,
You are not completely correct here. You can reload a song and a style within the registration memory section of the PSR2000. If you write a user style and save it in either user style or floppy disk, and you have recorded a song or loaded in a standard midi file and save it in either user of in floppy disk and now you make a registration memory and check all the boxes for what you want to save, you can call up the song and the style when you recall one registration memory. This way one button finds all your stored data.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#158152 - 11/19/01 03:40 PM Re: Data Storage Methods: PSR2000 vs. Technics KN Keyboards
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
George & Larry: I do understand what you are pointing out here , but I think you guys are missing the point I was trying to make.

What I was trying to say, is that with the Technics data file storage system, 'all' associated files to a specific custom 'song style' are linked.

If (on the PSR2000), you save all the associated files (style,reg memory, sounds, multipads) for a particular custom 'song style' onto a floppy diskete and then wanted to load this custom 'song style' (including all it's related files) to a friend's PSR2000, you would have to load each file individually into each specific USER sections of the PSR2000. In contrast, the KN5000's file storage system allows you to both 'save to' and 'load from' floppy disk ALL of the related files to a specific custom 'Song Style' all at 'one time', with a single touch of a button. This is MUCH faster then having to load each sub-file of a 'song style' one by one.

I won't go on anymore. I guess it just takes another Technics player like DonM to really appreciate what I'm talking about here. As they say, if you never experienced it, you'll probably never miss it.

Still havin' fun with the PSR2000,

- Scott

#158153 - 11/19/01 04:36 PM Re: Data Storage Methods: PSR2000 vs. Technics KN Keyboards
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott
Although I can see the usefulness of this feature on the KN5000 to a performer like yourself, I actually don't like it. I spend a lot of time "turning off" parts of the saved files I don't want to load. I hate it that if I forget to turn some certain part off, after I load the style, it will override my split point, midi settings, left hand settings, etc. To me, it's a pain.
Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online