SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#500871 - 10/03/20 01:39 PM Leverage musical ability into added opportunities
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
When I finally woke up and realized there was more to playing than partying and meeting girls, I began concentrating on gigs where people who had the funds and need to use my day work product frequented. At a cocktail gig 25 years ago, I met the wife of a vet at one of the top thoroughbred farms in the Bluegrass. The result? Great friends, a ready audience, and over $100,000.00 annually for photography, video, research, etc.

At the Bistro, a jazz club, I met the newly appointed plant manager for a nearby international vehicle manufacturing company. He is now the international president, and visits me every time he visits the local plant. That has meant over $500,000.00 of work annually. I play for most of the annual meetings and other events for many of my day clients.

Music is part of everything I do. My corporate videos are popular because I don't use needle drop music or public domain sound for scores. When that UPS plane takes off, or that bolt is tightened, the track is in meter.

A friend who is good on a computer offered to manage a web site for the restaurant he played. He listed meal specials with photos daily. Now the restaurant has 7 locations and he is the director of communications and gigs at all 7 locations.

Many other people I know from the business have leveraged their talents into very successful and complementary careers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Be well, all,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/03/20 01:41 PM)

#500876 - 10/04/20 04:01 AM Re: Leverage musical ability into added opportunities [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Russ

You sure have been an inspiration to many of us, and I am sure you are correct in your premise. Not to be a detractor, but very few of us have the capabilities to even approach yours. That said, we should parlay whatever talents we do have, to any other associated ventures we can find.

Thanks for sharing.

Bernie

#500887 - 10/04/20 09:59 AM Re: Leverage musical ability into added opportunities [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Here’s to continued success Russ and time/health to enjoy It!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#500888 - 10/04/20 11:08 AM Re: Leverage musical ability into added opportunities [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'll go with what Bernie said, not many of us have those types of marketable skills. The one thing that rings true is Its who you know. Being in the right place at the right time and meeting the right person can work wonders. Many times more than talent alone.
Sounds like your doing very well so stay well and keep going.

#500892 - 10/04/20 12:27 PM Re: Leverage musical ability into added opportunities [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bill

I was thinking what you said. Being there in the right place at the right time is very true, but I bet Russ did a lot of networking to help fate along. Nobody works harder, in my opinion.

#500895 - 10/04/20 12:40 PM Re: Leverage musical ability into added opportunities [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My work now has shifted from providing for my family to supporting good people who need my assistance. My son, for instance. He's a great sound engineer and film editor, but he isn't a film producer, so he needs me to storyboard the film, shoot the critical frames and write and record the sound tracks.

My contact/business partner in Atlanta is the guy who runs the US based operations for the foreign manufactures. He also does sales to "big box" stores. Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc. need packaging, signage, installation instructions, web sites, etc. He trusts and needs me to do that work and keep the quality and effectiveness at the high level it needs to be.

My good friend at UK needs to finish two communications books. He's a great researcher, but a terrible writer.

These are all great friends who are great to work with.

I keep 75% of the income and donate the balance. I bought a new Subaru instead of a Lexus. In 50 years I tried to educate disadvantage kids. I'm now working with the 100th kid. Bad news is, only 27 graduated with a 4 year degree. 10 ended up in prison. But lots of them became really solid citizens, and several went back to school after dropping out.

I'm done with live playing. I don't want to embarrass myself.
I felt so sorry for Tony Bennett the last time I saw him. He looked confused and missed the bridge after a horn solo. The last time I saw a film of Frank Sinatra, he couldn't remember the lyrics and couldn't read the monitor. Believe it or not, I have liked John (he hates being called Johnny) Mathis. The first time I heard Chances Are in 1955, I knew there was a lot more to music than Rock Around the Clock. Mathis released an album produced by Babyface last year. He was 82. His version of I want to Run to You was fabulous. Still, he is showing signs of decline. I hope he gracefully ends live play before embarrassing himself. I've had 9 weeks off playing live at least 4 nights a week for 64 years. I loved every minute of it (what I can remember), but it's time to move on.

Thing is, I have 25-30 film scores to write and record for my company a year, and I'm first chair for a production company that does national work for Ford, UPS and others.

Music has been my path to a great life, and has made me make a lifetime commitment to helping others.

Man, am I thankful for my good fortune.

And I'm also thankful for good friends; many of which visit the Synthzone.

In appreciation,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/04/20 12:44 PM)

#500897 - 10/04/20 02:02 PM Re: Leverage musical ability into added opportunities [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
So good of you to help others. We need a lot more of that in the world today. Keep going as long as you want to and feel you can do the job.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online