When I finally woke up and realized there was more to playing than partying and meeting girls, I began concentrating on gigs where people who had the funds and need to use my day work product frequented. At a cocktail gig 25 years ago, I met the wife of a vet at one of the top thoroughbred farms in the Bluegrass. The result? Great friends, a ready audience, and over $100,000.00 annually for photography, video, research, etc.

At the Bistro, a jazz club, I met the newly appointed plant manager for a nearby international vehicle manufacturing company. He is now the international president, and visits me every time he visits the local plant. That has meant over $500,000.00 of work annually. I play for most of the annual meetings and other events for many of my day clients.

Music is part of everything I do. My corporate videos are popular because I don't use needle drop music or public domain sound for scores. When that UPS plane takes off, or that bolt is tightened, the track is in meter.

A friend who is good on a computer offered to manage a web site for the restaurant he played. He listed meal specials with photos daily. Now the restaurant has 7 locations and he is the director of communications and gigs at all 7 locations.

Many other people I know from the business have leveraged their talents into very successful and complementary careers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Be well, all,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (10/03/20 01:41 PM)