Topic Options
#444289 - 01/09/18 12:02 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
here we go south again.....

Well, looks like we've got a new forum police. Man, you're like the recently reformed lifetime smoker who now freaks out if he smells even a whiff of smoke smile. Don't let boredom get to you Donny. Get a hobby (besides posting to Synthzone smile ). It (boredom) can turn you into a grumpy old man (like me smile ).

Your best buddy,

chas

Chas, ......I understand just thought this topic was becoming deep and enjoyable to read & discuss players feeling about a very serious subject we all face in the biz,....sorry if I over did it with concern.

Donny....I don't know if you were serious with your reply/replies or it's Chas type satire?

Either way this "going South" really irks me. I think a lot and I put my thoughts to paper. I'm a person who finds other people interesting, fascinating......I like to hear how others think about things. Each person is like reading a new book. That's why it really irks me when the subject matter goes off course. I mean, you take the time to write a thought out, you get two replies "on course" and then it turns into Saturday Night Live.

I don't write for myself. I write to give fodder to the group to think about instead of the keyboard A vs keyboard B vs keyboard C program. And I only type at 5 WPM!

But the group is what it is. A very funny "social saloon." I DO enjoy that aspect of it!

Mark

#444300 - 01/09/18 05:34 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Mark79100]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Dnj
if your not playing much, if you not getting calls without having to chase them, then baby something is wrong with your music, or performance, etc etc

Donny....don't you think it's time you changed your tune and got in touch with reality? smile

In my case I have to "chase them" now because of a variety of reasons, all centering around an over-supply of musicians or fake musicians and an under-supply of locations to play.

Then there's the AD's, 90% have no idea what their doing. Then the friends of a friend of a friend looking for his first live playing job. The other day I played before the next act....a "professional chorus" singing Xmas carols. The accompanying pianist couldn't even play White Xmas without the music (and she still made mistakes). The singers were so disorganized, I thought I was at a Marx Brothers performance. But one confided to me then were simply locals playing for nothing. Then the "I just want to get out of the house so I'll play for nothing at a Senior place" persons. The high school jazz bands who play for nothing and "know nothing" (about how to play to an audience). The ever reducing budgets. Non-musical entertainment...lecturers, poetry readings, etc. The list goes on and on. It's a losing battle.

There's nothing wrong with "my music" or "my performances." 50 years of playing full time speaks for itself!

As I said before, I'm glad "I saved up my money for a rainy day."

I agree completely with theses comments. I worked one facility where millionaires lived. They didn't want to hire me that often because the residents were just as happy to hear their grandchildren's choir or band group from one of the local high schools. In fact, after a resident had their grandchildren come the others wanted to do the same. All for free of course. Times change and the market changes and that has nothing to do with the quality of the performance and in fact the AD complimented me as did several residents. They just preferred the grandkids. I should add that they would hire me once a year, but it wasn't worth it to me.

Edited by W Tracy Parnell (01/09/18 05:34 AM)

#444301 - 01/09/18 05:43 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I can't figure Chas out...he changes personalities more often than Donny changes keyboards.

Yours, on the other hand, is crystal clear smile.

chas

#444307 - 01/09/18 08:14 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
I can't figure Chas out...he changes personalities more often than Donny changes keyboards.

Yours, on the other hand, is crystal clear smile.

chas

Chas........I knew you were a class act.....a man who recognizes quality when he sees it.

#444324 - 01/09/18 11:31 AM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: Mark79100]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
To Mark79100 ...

re: going into the Lecture circuit. Some years ago, I found out that many of the senior places where I played, also had something they called "Enrichment Seminars". These were usually just talks/lectures. I presented them with the idea that if there was interest, I could do an Enrichment Seminar on some aspect of music playing with arrangers. Since then, I have done a bunch of these, including (at a couple of places) a whole series of such seminars. I do them as "lecture/demo" format, that is I do a fair amount of playing of songs too, as part of "demoing" what I am talking about. They seem to go over quite well!

I also have done a small # of similar talks in middle schools (via a friend who had the right 'contacts' to get me into a couple of schools). Kids ate it up! I did have to play different kinds of music than I'd play in a senior place though. Nothing more than some rock'n'roll, R&B, blues, so it was still "the older stuff", but as long as it had good energy and interesting rhythms, kids seemed really interested. The kids of course loved the "synth" side of things- how odd/unusual sounds can be made etc.

I had never thought about approaching other places (such as libraries) - sounds like a good idea, the lecture/demo/talk idea could be viable in a bunch of different kinds of places ...

Thanks ... interesting topic ...
Jim

#444457 - 01/10/18 09:38 PM Re: my idea on how to stay in music [Re: jimlaing]
Mark79100 Offline

Jim.......and "thanks" to you for revitalizing me. I'm going to give what I said here some serious thought again. Let's face it, change is essential if you want to stay ahead of the game.

I remember when I became a full blown disc jockey. I went into it with a lot of reluctance. Within a few gigs, I remember thinking how much I enjoyed DJ-ing, freeing yourself up, detaching yourself from the keyboard, a whole new format for producing music and why did I take so long to do it.

It sounds like you're halfway there already. All you need are more venues...you've already got a handle on the "job description."

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online