SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#442703 - 12/17/17 08:14 PM A Little E.Q Help Please
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The bartender where I work likes this song, so I do it occasionally for him. I hit the Record button on my Tascam, and I think it came out o.k., but I would like some honest opinions on how it is e.q.d, and the effects used, the style, balance, etc. It's so hard to critique yourself and even harder to get and honest opinion from others...
Leaving On A Jet Plane: https://app.box.com/s/ss7kyylhqj5t95o7b2a3qzbi5og15hiu

P.S. I'll bet Chas can identify with this song! smile

#442705 - 12/17/17 09:07 PM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don I think it is fine.... If you need to mess with it.... Maybe a bit of EQ (low mids) on the guitar strum.... and a little dynamics (velocity) on the drums..

#442708 - 12/17/17 09:13 PM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Thanks Fran, what I'm trying to achieve is a really good recording mix, AND a good on-stage sound from the same two channels of the mixer, in other words the recording mix and the live mix is the same. I think I'm getting close.
I think I hear what you are saying about the low-mids on the strums. I appreciate it!

#442712 - 12/18/17 12:33 AM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: DonM]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
DonM. Sounds nicely balanced here in the UK.
I find I hear things differently everyday. One can mess with these things all day and very often the first one is the best.

graham uk

#442728 - 12/18/17 05:55 AM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I certainly don't have those 'golden ears' they talk about in recording circles, but I can't hear much wrong with it. In fact, I always marvel at how you get such good recordings 'in the field' and using 'prosumer' recording gear. Of course, it's the opposite of GIGO too, in this case, 'good stuff in, good stuff out' smile. On the EQ; I think the bass is perfect (no 'boominess' or fighting with the kick drum, the highs are pretty much transparent (as they should be with this backing) and the mids are spot on with lots of 'presence'. Fran could be right with the drums but since I wasn't overtly aware of them while listening, that means that FOR ME, they were just right. For a 'field recording', it doesn't get much better, but that's JMO.

chas

#442729 - 12/18/17 06:14 AM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: DonM]
broker22 Offline

Hi Don I'm no pro but it sounded great to me. Cal

#442730 - 12/18/17 06:34 AM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Hi Chas, Graham and Cal,
Thanks for listening and it is reassuring to think I may have a little hearing and/or taste left! smile
Chas, Fran was talking about the guitar STRUMS not the drums. I don't take the time to get into e.q.ing the style parts much, but I probably should. I do often change drum kits or style part sounds though, if it's a style I use a lot. Incidentally I had a high school friend, Mike Doyle, who flew for Delta for many years, and he told me once that this song always made him feel sort of bitter/sweet. As much as he loved his job, he was always looking forward to the day he could stay home!

#442732 - 12/18/17 06:46 AM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

original
https://app.box.com/s/ss7kyylhqj5t95o7b2a3qzbi5og15hiu

New EQ version
https://app.box.com/s/wurgw191wxacvpujcxd21j9fmsep1q30

Don nice job I have took a few minutes to spruce up the EQ mix...
check it out see what you think Great song well done! clap

Edited by Dnj (12/18/17 11:24 AM)

#442745 - 12/18/17 07:45 AM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Don it depends on what you are trying to give your people. The song has a flavor of simplicity – A laid back guitar – a clean piano. It is a good contrast after playing something that is heavy.

If you include dancers then you need to make it more interesting; more bottom – a deeper sound.

So it is not what is better – or how you can improve it; it is what kind of emotion you are trying give your people. As it is it’s a good sounding recording that sounds very much like Don Mason.

John C.
PS – Is there any dancing where you are playing?

#442752 - 12/18/17 09:53 AM Re: A Little E.Q Help Please [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, sounds damned good to me. Donny's changes, IMO, added too much high end EQ and produced a tinny sound, which also effected the vocals as well. I, personally, would not change a thing.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online