SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#386002 - 03/09/14 05:44 AM Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...?
Dnj Offline

or using transpose +/- ....is almost the same thing.
Nothing wrong with that as long as the music sounds good and is easier for the musician to interpret his feelings. Some keys are easier to play in for your finger positions, runs, solos, & your brain thoughts especially while singing & playing. keys
There are NO rules, Just Good Music,.. wink

Edited by Dnj (03/09/14 05:44 AM)

#386006 - 03/09/14 08:38 AM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Yamaha arrangers & If I remember my Korg pa3x have ONE TOUCH Transpose +/- on the fly which is great. clap
but Roland arrangers I've had G70, etc, is a two button execution frown which is much more difficult in real time for a split second modulation etc. keys

#386010 - 03/09/14 09:07 AM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No one in the audience knows, or for that matter, cares whether or not you transpose, use a capo, etc... They just want to be entertained and that's why we get the big bucks. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#386013 - 03/09/14 09:29 AM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Most important to me is that the transposer doesn't immediately "transpose" after I hit the +/- button, but waits till I play a new chord or key before the change. My Yamaha Tyros4 does this with ease, and I suspect the other manufacturers have similar setups.

I usually go through my home-made restaurant fake books and because a lot of the music is written in the original key, I get to play in many keys other than "C", which is good for keeping my skills up.

As far as an "easiest" soloing key, I would have to say "C, "G" "A", or "E" the latter two I became accustomed to playing in due to being in bands with guitar players.

The transposer is especially cool to use when tunes have a lot of repetition.

Ian

#386020 - 03/09/14 11:43 AM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: Dnj]
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
When I am recording a song with more than one solo break and no key change, I will often transpose whatever instrument I'm playing (keyboard or EWI) for the second solo. This forces me to play the second solo a little different than the first because the solo to me will be in a new key thus avoiding (hopefully) repeating any favourite licks. Not useful for live play, but it works for multi-tracking.

#386055 - 03/10/14 07:53 AM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: big741.1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WAY BACK IN THE DAY ... when I was just starting playing gigs, there was a guy who played piano and every song was in 'C' ... after a while all the songs started to sound the same ... Now with the 'Transpose' key it is easier to play all songs in the same key but vary the keys people are hearing ...
As for me, I like playing songs in the original key - unless of course it doesn't fit my vocal range (which is not that great) -
I really like playing in the keys of F,G,Eb,Bb, perhaps because so many of the 'Standards' are written in those keys, and those keys often fit my vocal range ...

Ian, when I read that you enjoy playing in A and E I immediately thought 'he must have played with a lot of guitar players' grin ... it's kind of funny to me that I don't mind playing in 3 or 4 flats, but don't like playing in 3 or 4 sharps confused1 ...

Edited by tony mads usa (03/10/14 07:56 AM)

#386061 - 03/10/14 08:24 AM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Tony, I don't mind the flatted keys too much, because, as you say, a lot of the standards were written in those keys.

When I played the restaurant, a few lady music teachers were sitting near my setup, and I could see them looking at one another in some sort of amazement as I transposed tunes several times during the performance, and I always did the transposition on a "turnaround" key, so it sounded very convincing.

Sometimes I would transpose down instead of up, which, actually sounds pretty cool in some instances.

I felt more like a "magician" than "musician" at that point. Smoke and mirrors...ha ha!

Ian

#386094 - 03/10/14 07:32 PM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I think you need to mix it up a bit ... playing the same key can make you lazy, and you may start to finger the same chords in the same way all the time ... too much chance of monotony, I think.
Certain fingerings "lay" differently and provide a better hand position over "C". As a matter of fact - "C" is not AWLAYS the easiest for lots of chords. The "B" major scale falls so naturally under the right hand on a keyboard - it's much easier to hit the notes than in "C". It smooshes your hand less. There's nothing wrong with using capos or buttons, but it does chisel away at your skills, and reduce your effectiveness when those features are not present. I really like most of the keys up to 4 or 5 accidentals. After that - I loose some dexterity due to thought fatigue!

#386096 - 03/10/14 07:54 PM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Yep...it is good to play in other keys rather than one or two favorites, although sometimes a singer's vocal range makes that decision for them.

Soloing in unfamiliar keys can be a bit exciting, but I wouldn't go on stage without at least a few rehearsals in the new signature.

For Rock and Roll and a lot of Pop Tunes, I find the keys of A and E work equally as nice for pounding out a piano lick as well as soloing with an organ or other sustaining type voice...but that's just my preference.

One thing for sure, in the early days, with Hammonds, Rhodes, DX-7's and MiniMoogs, you didn't have the luxury of transpose buttons so you played in the agreed upon key, and made the best of it. One could say, it was certainly never dull.

I do have to say, the tranposer has certainly made some potentially difficult situations much easier, so I'm a supporter for sure.

Ian

#386118 - 03/11/14 01:42 PM Re: Using a Guitar Capo or Playing Everything in C...? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Yamaha arrangers & If I remember my Korg pa3x have ONE TOUCH Transpose +/- on the fly which is great. clap
but Roland arrangers I've had G70, etc, is a two button execution frown which is much more difficult in real time for a split second modulation etc. keys

The G70 is the simplest...2 buttons one for up ..and another for down...and is lit when transposed..

Personally, I rarely use the transpose feature..I am comfortable in most keys..

Why is it though...my vocal keys always seem to be in the keys "B" "Ab" and "C#" grin

My favorite playing keys are "Eb" "G" and "F"

Edited by Fran Carango (03/11/14 01:45 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online