SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#385514 - 02/28/14 04:53 PM This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer..
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've never been much of a jazz fan, sorry Chas, Russ and Boo, but it just was never my thing. However, I do like some show tunes, always loved country, Latin, calypso, and movie themes. This song got into my head a couple days ago and just wouldn't go away. I plugged in the S-950, sat down and recorded it. Yeah, it's not really jazz, but I've been told it was among the top jazz hits in the country for a while, and surprisingly, Willie Nelson did the tune as well, which was pointed out to me by DonM.

Also found out it was a #1 hit in the UK in 1958

On The Street Where You Live

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385519 - 02/28/14 05:45 PM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Your version is also similar to Andy William's or Dean Martin's. Love the song. I do in on request occasionally but not great.
You know, you can get by with faking a song on the job sometimes. A person wants to hear "his" song. If you can play enough of it, such as the signature riff and sing a chorus, he'll hear that and most often be satisfied and go back to drinking, eating and talking. However, it's a different thing recording it and posting it for all to pick apart on the internet!
I know we are usually pretty kind with our critiques, but I wonder how many times we think to ourselves, "man that sucks, did you hear all those mistakes?" smile
Just so you know, Gary, this has NOTHING to do with your performance, it's just a thought that came to mind when I made my comment that I do it but not very well.
Anyway, I don't think that's Jazz, more a Show Tune category.
Love that Acoustic Jazz style on the S950!

#385520 - 02/28/14 06:04 PM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I always liked this song since the 1956 recordings (13 years old) :)Her name was Donna Johnson and she lived on Lavender Lane wink

Here is a recording I did a while back..

http://francarango.homestead.com/On_the_Street_where_you_live.mp3

Edited by Fran Carango (02/28/14 06:19 PM)

#385526 - 02/28/14 07:42 PM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Wow Fran - that must have been years ago. You voice sounds a lot different now. Back then it was much deeper and seems more mellow. Good job on the keyboard, too. Great right hand riffs.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385530 - 02/28/14 11:32 PM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
The forum has come to life It's nice to hear some alternative versions of the same song's popping up. Makes for some pleasant listening.

We don't seem to hear many instrumental versions are you all cak-handed like me or are you just shy.

Nicely done both of you

Col

#385534 - 03/01/14 12:06 AM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Nice job Fran! Lots of feeling.

#385537 - 03/01/14 02:06 AM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Loved it Fran. Thanks for sharing it with us.

#385542 - 03/01/14 06:26 AM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Nice to hear alternative versions. Thanks guys!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#385545 - 03/01/14 06:44 AM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I always liked this song since the 1956 recordings (13 years old) :)Her name was Donna Johnson and she lived on Lavender Lane wink

Here is a recording I did a while back..

http://francarango.homestead.com/On_the_Street_where_you_live.mp3
clap headphone clap

#385558 - 03/01/14 08:12 AM Re: This is as close as I get to being a jazz singer.. [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Gary and Fran...both nice renditions of one of my favorite tunes from My Fair Lady.

Both well done arrangements, and you each gave the tune your own stamp on it.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online