SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#385277 - 02/25/14 02:24 PM Economic recovry - yeah, right!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I love it when the newscasters get on TV and make brash claims about an economic recovery. Yep, everything's find and dandy, but no one's paychecks are increasing, therefore the bleeding-heart, liberal press calls this a jobless recovery - yeah, right!

Today, I got a call from an AD who just began working at a place I've been performing at for the past decade. "Gary, we have to make some adjustments because our budget just got cut 30 percent. We would like you to play just 75 percent of the normal time and reduce your fee by 25-percent."

I explained that it just doesn't work that way. I went on to explain that my cost per job does not change, even if the job only lasted 5 minutes. It took a while to get through to her, but after a while she finally comprehended that gasoline, equipment cost, insurance, wear and tear on the car and equipment, etc..., are identical no matter how long the job entails.

We came to an agreement. I cut two jobs out of the 12 I had booked for that facility for the year, and the rate of compensation would remain the same for the remaining jobs. I get a couple extra days off per year, and I can fill them in at other facilities that I've been putting off for a while because of scheduling constraints from existing clients.

Now, she did say that when special events come up, I will be the first person she will be calling for entertainment. Family days, corporate events, etc..., and I anticipate my phone will be ringing.

So, Obama and the bleeding-heart, liberal press can say anything they wish about an economic recovery, but those major corporations that keep OMB NH circuit performers working are not experiencing that economic windfall in this part of the world.

Thought I would pass this information along to others that may or have encountered similar problems.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385280 - 02/25/14 04:11 PM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary

Your still a lucky guy. here in South New Jersey the facilities provide little to no entertainment. I've played at a few, donated one gig to a place near me and did a benefit fundraiser for another. Rave reviews all around from residents to staff to management. I told them all I would play anytime in the future for a reasonable fee. I also did what you did and put out the obvious info about our expenses which they seem to forget. Any callbacks ? No . I called one AD I felt comfortable with and questioned her. "Everyone had a great time, the residents were singing and dancing and didn't want me to leave. The staff was doing the same so it ain't me, what is it ?" Answer -- " We have very limited funds.
Medicare just cut our budgets by 30% ", ( familiar number ?)
BTW restaurants and bars are crying the same song here for the last few years. People come here on vacation but spend a lot less going out. Go to the beach, walk the boardwalk, but eat and drink at home. Its the one expense people can control. A few place are goldmines and pull the crowds in but thats not the norm.
If you can get anything going in this economy its a winner and be happy for it.

#385283 - 02/25/14 04:25 PM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, I've never tried to work in Southern New Jersey, but Donny Pesce seems to have all the work he can handle in the central part of the state. It takes a lot of legwork to get into the NH business these days, more than most folks believe. Plus, it requires a fair degree of commitment to retain that business once you become well established. I'm constantly on the lookout for new places opening, and try to get my foot in the door is soon as the AD is hired. I was amazed at the number of new retirement and assisted living facilities that were scheduled to open with 20 miles of my home. At least a dozen new ones within the next three years. One new retirement location is supposed to have 700 residents, which means lots and lots of jobs for me. Additionally, I already have a 12 year track record with one of their other retirement communities and I'm still there, so getting into the new one will probably not be too difficult. Then there are places no one thinks about - adult day care facilities seem to be springing up at some unusual locations. I just started playing at one that's on the campus of a community college. Never would have thought about an adult day care being there. I'll be there this Friday and every last Friday of the month for the next year. I also performed at another similar facility in Pikesville, MD, but the drive home took me into the Baltimore Beltway's rush hour, which is horrendous to say the least. I dropped a dozen west side facilities because of the drive home during rush hour. The ADs at these place still contact me to do special parties and events for them, which often commands premium prices.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385290 - 02/25/14 05:59 PM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: travlin'easy]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
We are getting the same story here in the Dallas, Ft. Worth area. It seems part of the problem is medicare payments have been reduced a lot to these places since the new health care law went into effect. I too, like Gary, have lost some gigs at places I have played for nearly 8 years on a steady basis. I currently have in the works a major Promo I am about to launch to just about every facility in our area. Time will tell if it does any good.

Deane

#385301 - 02/25/14 10:38 PM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: travlin'easy]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
One of the great, blockbuster sayings of all time:

NO ONE EVER SAID LIFE IS FAIR! ......... computer

I understand what everyone is saying. So it helps me a great deal to keep reminding myself (when I find myself gravitating into the "poor me" mode) that... "the worst of what we do is still far better than the "best" of what most others do for 1/2 the wages!"

I suppose I couldn't have found a better time to "burn out" of playing although what you guys wrote was a large part of the reason for my "burn out!"

#385308 - 02/26/14 01:13 AM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: travlin'easy]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
That's ok here in Australia many major manufacturers closing down to go to cheaper countries to make products, same as what the us has and is going through. The problem is as i see it, no matter how cheaply a product is, if no one's working, it's still the same dichotomy.
Governments are propping up industries with tariffs and protections to try to help their export markets, and i'm sick of hearing about the level playing field, no such thing, it's dog eat dog, and currently unless you work for $30 day there is no hope for us all. The rich are getting extremely rich and the middle class are being reduced to the working poor.
just stop the dumping going on by the money managers, the few at the top that make us all dance like puppets, and we have made a start.

Once where companies had a community spirit , now they only want to make more and more without a workforce. It's sad and i'm not happy in the way the world is now

#385310 - 02/26/14 01:30 AM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: Robbo]
Bachus Offline

The econnomy is recovering, yes it really is...

Because the rich keep getting richer... And thats the only thing measured when they talk about economic recovery

http://keyszone.boards.net

#385311 - 02/26/14 02:14 AM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: Bachus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Because the rich keep getting richer... And thats the only thing measured when they talk about economic recovery

Well that was due to Republican policies that brought all this on in the first place. Don't forget that. They have always been all about the rich getting richer. From my perspective the economy is recovering. I was unemployed for 6 months now I am fully employed again. So to me that is recovery. If it wasn't for that this forum would be gone now.

#385312 - 02/26/14 03:20 AM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: Nigel]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Well that was due to Republican policies that brought all this on in the first place. Don't forget that. They have always been all about the rich getting richer. From my perspective the economy is recovering. I was unemployed for 6 months now I am fully employed again. So to me that is recovery. If it wasn't for that this forum would be gone now.

good to hear you have found a job again...

But then i refuse to believe its strictly the republicans... As overhere in europe we dont have republicans.. But the results are much the same as in the US.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#385320 - 02/26/14 07:28 AM Re: Economic recovry - yeah, right! [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
I have to come back on this one more time. Theres a big differance in areas in NJ. Hard to understand if your not from here. Donny is not in what I would call South NJ but more in Central NJ which has a Northern NJ vibe. ( Except he's and Eagles fan which I can't understand LOL ) Many Northern NJ transplants there. I know the area well and we just sold my Mother In Laws retirement house there. I know Donny's a great entertainer with tons of expierence and salesmanship but he's also in a gold mine area for what he does. His area was the first to have "retirement communities" in the state. And theres a lot of them. That also means a strong number of NH and assisted living places. And there are still lots of dinner dance type affairs and private parties with entertainment like in Northern NJ where the big money is. That age group appreciates a versatile entertainer like him.
I'm in a vacation area. Essentially depends on the Tourist dollar for four months. Nice as it is its very different from where I came from which most call Northern NJ. Big money weddings, Dinners, Parties, CC, etc. Very little of that here. Oh yes look up Congress Hall for the high dollar weddings but believe me thats a "closed shop" and not really what I want to do anymore.
A popular club here is the Cape May Tennis Club. I've done two of their parties and they love me so I'm locked in for the future. OK - thats one connection. On the other hand the local Kiwanis is having their 100th Anniversary party soon. I played the cocktail hour for their new officer initiations in the Fall and got lots of compliments. I know a few key members and inquired about playing for the dinner. "Entertainment ??? No, we're just having a dinner and speeches No budget for music "
Tried to get something going at the Cape May Marlin and Tuna Club. Gave them two Friday Happy hours . We had a great time, members dancing around the bar. BUT -- they don't want to put out any money. Would I do it for just tips?? NO !!!
And these are people who spend thousands $$$ to fuel up their big boats to go fishing every weekend.
People here just don't do parties and events as I have known them.
I already talked about the NH's. They get free entertainment from the Cape May String Band and some others "retired musicians" so why bother to pay anyone?

BIG BIG differance in locations, just like the Real Estate business.

Sorry for the long rant.

Edited by Bill Lewis (02/26/14 07:32 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online