Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#362270 - 02/27/13 04:11 AM Convert midifile to style in one click
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#362306 - 02/27/13 09:17 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
118 views and no comments. I'm mystified!!!!!! This isn't my bag. I find styles that I can live with to do Come Fly With Me, Fly Me To The Moon, I Get A Kick Out Of You, I've Got You Under MY Skin etc with the raised and flated 5ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths and all the diminished augmented thingies and everything in between, so I don't get this hi tech manuvering styles, drum kits and such. What's with this midi to style stuff? Is it something, or nothing? Can I use it? Or is it useless?

Who are the techies here. I don't even know.
HeLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

#362307 - 02/27/13 09:40 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
what version of styleworks Dan, universal or the specific Ketron version?

#362315 - 02/28/13 01:43 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: miden]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
I don't know !
It's a video from Stuart in the vArranger forum who told about this styleworks feature, to convert a midifile to a style in one click.

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#362316 - 02/28/13 01:50 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (02/28/13 01:53 AM)

#362323 - 02/28/13 07:38 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
We know the software Donny, I was mroe interested in if the guy was using the instrument specific version of the universal version..

Styleworks U, is notoriously BAD at converting anything!!

TO convert a midi the midi first must be prepared with markers and chordal structure centred around cmaj7/cmin7 ..even then SW is pretty hopeless.

I note at the vA forums that this same guy is having big issues with the style correctly playing parts when loaded into vA..again not surprising as it is SW...

But I believe the instrument specific versions (particularly the newer releases) are much better in operation.

D

#362333 - 02/28/13 11:14 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There is no magic bullet. Real music has passing notes, leading basslines, transitional chords and much much more that stops it from being linear in nature. There is no software anywhere that is capable of analyzing all this, removing the transitional stuff, and making a style directly from MIDI, unless the tune is so simple it has none.

So, you end up doing as much editing as if you had done it all yourself. And add to that, most arrangers have ways of taking MIDI chunks and assembling them into styles already.

Sadly, it is boondoggle. Sold to gullible buyers who don't realize how difficult what it says it can do actually is.

#362358 - 03/01/13 09:30 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Thank you Diki.

#362363 - 03/01/13 01:02 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I need to give EMC a thumbs up...It isn't a miracle worker....and on certain brands comes up short..not because of the software but the style design of the brand...Yamaha is one of the brands and Ketron has problems too...

What EMC Styleworks does...it gets you to the point you can edit without being an expert in style design..

I have used Styleworks for 15 years...in fact at one time I was the distributor in the USA..

I get great results converting Korg to Roland with a single mod change..the bass..an easy change to do..

Ketron to Roland..I usually have to mute a guitar track...

Yamaha to Roland...the xg selections are terrible..so you need to select new instruments and set all levels...Yamaha seems to be the most inconsistant..

Technics to Roland are also okay...

In fact after conversions...to Roland....Korg and Technics are some of my favorite...There are a few Ketron to Roland styles I use...and none of the Yamaha...not worth my time..I don't really care for Yamaha styles to start....

There are so many great styles from Roland, Korg and Technics...it is not worth the trouble to work with Yamaha and Ketron..

As for SMF to style conversion..again Styleworks gives you a starting point that allows you to fine tune the style..

#362367 - 03/01/13 01:37 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Is there a NEW version Emc style works UNiversal that works with the newer arranger keyboards..Tyros4, PA3x, Pa600, Audya, Bk5, etc,...? or update to the older version?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online