SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#362373 - 03/01/13 02:26 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Doesn't Korg have a kind of Styleworks "lite" included with their line up? I seem to remember something about that, but never looked into it.

#362391 - 03/01/13 11:18 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Two different threads going on at the same time...

Converting one style format into another, and converting a MIDI file into a style.

Not the same thing... unless maybe the MIDI file was the output of a style from an arranger, to be converted into a different arranger.

#362406 - 03/02/13 08:23 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
The only thing I use SW for is to extract the style to a mid file so I can work on the notes and patch assignments, then re-import back to SW to save as the new style, for the same as the original..

I have found NO conversion with SW to be so good that they did not need further editing on the destination keyboard.

But at the first task written above it is quite good.

#362414 - 03/02/13 09:39 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dan, if you keep improving your product, you're gonna make me try one. Quit it!
smile
DonM

#362415 - 03/02/13 10:38 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Dan, if you keep improving your product, you're gonna make me try one. Quit it!
smile
DonM

Now that Don would be a great endorsement....common Don you know you need a new Toy!! wink cool2 and with Dan's great support you never know cool2 Don M & Arranger = perfect together!

Edited by Dnj (03/02/13 10:41 AM)

#362419 - 03/02/13 11:53 AM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Has vArranger got a full sound translation chart to work with a BK-7m yet? Being able to play Yamaha or Ketron styles into the BK-7m might be a practical thing as long as the sounds are mapped over well. No GM or GS rubbish, but a careful use of the FULL BK soundset to get the closest approximation possible.

This is the main problem I have with most translation software.. and I have tried Styleworks. While they do a very rudimentary job of mapping sounds, it's always easy to pick MUCH better alternatives yourself. Why this isn't done for you so that the translator works better I have no idea. The goal, if the software is to become popular in the arranger market (let's face it, few of us are real MIDI and style creation experts, we want 'plug and play'!) is the BEST possible translation or playback, OUT OF THE BOX.

Ideally, MIDI velocities of drum sounds need to be scaled and adjusted, because no two manufacturer's drum kits respond EXACTLY the same, EQ's per Part need to be applied so that one arranger's fuller basses don't turn into wimpy basses on another arranger, things like that. I've got many, many style translations, and the one universal thing is, not ONE of them couldn't be radically improved with some editing. And, 9/10 times, I have to do the exact same editing to every style from 'arranger a' to play on 'arranger b'. Be nice if the software did it for you!

How's work coming along on the Chord Sequencer, BTW, Dan? Have you had a chance to get your hands on a G1000 to see how it is done well?

#362420 - 03/02/13 12:35 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Actually Diki, Styleworks is not that far off being useful..

If only they would add a proper "editing sequencer" tool, ie one that will allow end users to insert and edit ANY midi data, not just the programs preset data for a specific model.

And allow the use of patch mapping data : Sonar .ins files ; Cubase .script files, Logic multi instrument files etc etc etc

Then I think it could be a genuine tool rather than a novelty...

Dennis

#362431 - 03/02/13 03:09 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
Diki Offline

Definitely user definable maps, including velocity offsets and scaling, and EQ sys-ex etc. is really needed. Nothing worse than having a dozen (or more!) styles from another manufacturer, and having to go into the kits after the conversion to do the EXACT same thing to them all!

Software like this is much more likely to be used (and sell well) if stuff like this is taken care of for you...

#362530 - 03/03/13 02:16 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
DonM, You're welcome in the vArranger world smile

Diki, no, the Yamaha and Ketron styles will not sound perfect directly on your BK. You need to tweek a little bit, but it's on screen, and it's easy.

I will maybe add a place to edit the RULES of the translations for people like you. So once you create a rule, it will be followed for all the styles.

The Chord sequencer will be released soon. I will add 2 buttons as on the G1000... REC and PLAY

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#362532 - 03/03/13 02:24 PM Re: Convert midifile to style in one click [Re: DAN.2000]
Dnj Offline

wow!! is Diki getting a Varranger now?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online