SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#286136 - 04/20/10 08:34 PM HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Dnj Offline

#286137 - 04/21/10 04:24 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
That was great, posting those two vids together. Sure makes you reflect on the passage of time. Those of us still playing music from that era (I'm one of those ) should use this as a reality check in case we still think we can pull that cute chick at the bar the way we did 40 years ago. Oh well, at least we survived it (the era).

It IS good, though, to see that classics DO stand the test of time (B3/song) and sound just as good now as they did then. Sure, samples and loops are good, but if you want that sphincter-tightening experience, give me a vintage B3 with a beat-up leslie any day.

Thanks for the post. There is something eerily reflective about watching the two of them in sequence.

chas

#286138 - 04/21/10 04:36 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
A year ago Procul Harum played here in the neighborhood in a small theater,with this show
It was a Great performance, and this is realy
the best ballad ever made with a Hammond.
(second is Homburg :-)

Impuls

#286139 - 04/21/10 04:53 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Original studio cut ws done on an L-100.

Use of a B-3 is a different sound, due to several key differences in tone generator and chorus circuits, among other things.

Just like Booker T's famous "Green Onions" -- in which the studio cut was played on an M-3 "schpinette" organ, with no leslie, they used the built in chorus vibrato and mic'd the little internal 12" speaker. Booker later toured famously using a fullsize B3 and at least one Leslie, though.

The Hammond Organ player and enthusiast must develop "golden ears" in order to be able to hear the subtle differences. But like the picture with the hidden elephant in it, once you know those differences, whether you find them yourself or they are pointed out to you, once you know them, they stand out clearly.

I think the key ingredient to a great organ part is *animation* - the constant *changing* of parameters as the tune progresses, change voicing, change chorusing, spinup, spindown, change something, throughout. This is where the average MIDI keyboardist falls flat. Simply selecting a static MIDi patch of one Hammond Organ sound does not cut it in the animation department that is so critical to the emotion of the tonewheel organ.

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#286140 - 04/21/10 05:36 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by --Mac:

I think the key ingredient to a great organ part is *animation* - the constant *changing* of parameters as the tune progresses, change voicing, change chorusing, spinup, spindown, change something, throughout. This is where the average MIDI keyboardist falls flat. Simply selecting a static MIDi patch of one Hammond Organ sound does not cut it in the animation department that is so critical to the emotion of the tonewheel organ.

--Mac

Throw in 'use of an expression pedal' and you've nailed it. That also explains why the 'real thing' will never go away, no matter how good that single midi patch (or sample) is. I don't care if you're Jimmy Smith, you can't play an all-purpose synth (arranger, workstation, whatever) like a 'B3' (I use the term 'B3' symbolically).

chas

#286141 - 04/21/10 06:23 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Cool videos guys. No keyboard, even my XK3 can replicate a B3. The XK3 sounds great to my ears and I've been playing, buying and selling Hammonds for forty years. I think the big thing is the logistics of actually sitting behind the full console. Nothing like it but I do like the bass on the XK3 much better.

BTW all you Hammond heads I still have one B3 left. My own baby in mint Cherrywood. Give me shout if interested. It may be going to Florida soon. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/icons/icon12.gif

Bill in NJ

#286142 - 04/21/10 08:25 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Dnj Offline

Back in the 60's I had a L100 & then a B3 to gig, cut my 147 in half also to fit in the station wagon...my back still hurts .... but when I listen to this song and many others of the period it gives me a chill and warm feeling at the same time to hear that Hammond sound..I also feel it when I listened to the BEATLES guitars....you know I'm so lucky to have grown up in the 50's/60's and have the opportunity to embrace the magic of music. Sometimes I think back of the simplicity of the music & gear need to make great songs and have such a unique sound without using all the mumbo-jumbo high-tech equipment we have today......sometimes I say to myself .."do we really need all this new stuff" ? The one kool thing for us who grew up then is being able to "COMPARE" the past & present in music to put it all together with what we produce today.....in years to come when we are gone these youngsters will not have that musical real life 50/60's experience other then maybe You Tube etc....

#286143 - 04/21/10 09:12 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
DNJ

I agree. I just retired from teaching Middle School and used to tell the kids I do wish I was young again but I'm glad I grew up when I did. Live music everywhere, being played by real musicians, the music scene was so much more exciting and innovative. I get sick today every time I see a bar or restaurant advertise "Live DJ' What other kind could they have?? When it says dead one I'm going in !!!
Only us poor keyborad players had to be stuck with heavy ill designed for touring instruments. Hammond organs and leslies, Fender Rhoades, Heavy amps and PA's. But damn we had fun.
A guitar player back then could get his Strat or Les Paul with his Fender Twin and still have the best possible rig today. And it would have tripled in value. We, or at least I know I have, have gone thru how many of the newest and greatest keyboards at big expense just to keep up .
Wish I could just gig with my Hammond w/bass pedals, a piano, and a real kick a** drummer.

Bill in NJ

#286144 - 04/21/10 09:41 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
Wish I could just gig with my Hammond w/bass pedals, a piano, and a real kick a** drummer.

Bill, you CAN. 'JUST DO IT'. You've probably got all your bills paid and you've got that sweet retirement income (Pension + SSI + Medicare = 'play any gig I want, turn down any I don't want, and play with live musicians again). One suggestion, though. Reduce the weight of that B3 + Leslie down to 34 lbs and get a Nord C2 . Add a Traynor K4 amp and a guitar player and voila!, you're in business (okay, 60's and 70's business ). Hey, Capt. Russ and I will come to see you .

Keep that B3 warm, I may hit the lottery.

chas

B3 forever, baby.

#286145 - 04/21/10 09:42 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
DNJ

I agree. I just retired from teaching Middle School and used to tell the kids I do wish I was young again but I'm glad I grew up when I did. Live music everywhere, being played by real musicians, the music scene was so much more exciting and innovative. I get sick today every time I see a bar or restaurant advertise "Live DJ' What other kind could they have?? When it says dead one I'm going in !!!
Only us poor keyborad players had to be stuck with heavy ill designed for touring instruments. Hammond organs and leslies, Fender Rhoades, Heavy amps and PA's. But damn we had fun.
A guitar player back then could get his Strat or Les Paul with his Fender Twin and still have the best possible rig today. And it would have tripled in value. We, or at least I know I have, have gone thru how many of the newest and greatest keyboards at big expense just to keep up .

Bill in NJ

Bill great post ...you brought a tear to my eye ...but we're not dead yet....keep the flame alive, record lots of your songs so that maybe one day your grandkids and their kids will have something to remember!

When you said "Wish I could just gig with my Hammond w/bass pedals, a piano, and a real kick a** drummer." right away I thought of Lee Michaels, Hammond & Frosty, Drums...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INgR2Q-MD-Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NvZEXZTqLg

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-21-2010).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online