SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#286156 - 04/22/10 04:56 PM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by --Mac:
I don't know many players who are more serious about their hammonds than I.

Still keep the payments up on my storage garage full of B's, C's & A-100s, now that we are in the little apartment and its just me and the missus, the little "baby b" M-101 and a coffee-table Leslie are in the livingroom.

Now, of course, the B4-II is NOT exactly the same as having a true Hammond onstage. It is simply the closest I've been able to come in duplicating the sound without the real McCoy.

There is one certain thing that the MIDI controller keyboards will NOT do, and that is in the multiple contact keyboard buss tricks department.

I use a MIDI Controller Pedal connected as MIDI Expression CC11 to exactly duplicate what the original Hammond Expression Pedal brings to the game.

Modwheel spins the Leslie effect up, down and I use a controller button to turn Leslie effect comnpletely off to duplicate the older non-chorale Leslie sound when playing the Jimmy Smith type stuff. For Rockband covers, I use the chorale, of course.

I also run full stereo keyboard amplification and careful placement of my keyboard speakers on the soundstage in order to recreate the leslie sim more correctly. The keyboard amp is actually a small PA of its own right and the two channesl are always mounted on poles, usually directly behind me, facing outwards and kind of sideways to the stagefront. Close together. That's because of the darned horns. They focus the sound a bit too much and project it a bit too far. At one time I lugged a linear array set of cabs and that wasn't as large of a problem.

There is one thing about simulators of any kind that I try to get across to people, but most don't seem to understand what I'm saying. It is this: One must first have plenty of experience with playing the REAL THING before attempting to use any kind of simulator to imitate it.

The same applies to my digital guitar amp/speaker/effect units.

I spent a lot of time shaking my system down, practicing with the full setup in order to find out what NOT to attempt. If I cannot get the darned thing to duplicate what the real mccoy does, then I don't attempt that onstage.

There are also certain things that a simulator can do in the way of sounds that the real thing does not do. It is important to know and understand that situation.

Since this is an internet forum and they are full of people who read something and take it totally out of context, the last thing I'll say here is that "there is nothing like the real thing, baby". In the studio, I would want the real thing. Because, in the studio, we are faced with a different situation entirely. A permanent record with your name on it. That said, there have been some cases where my B4 setup has been used in studio work. It has fooled many a set of golden ears, too.

At a certain point, it is not what the simulator is, it is what the player knows and can do with it.

--Mac

Great post, Mac.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#286157 - 04/23/10 07:45 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
cgiles and DNJ

A few year ago I did just do it. Organ/piano, sax and drums. Rehearsed every Tues. night . Blues, some jazz and old school rock. Played a few gigs but it just dead ended. There are so few places to play and so many bands, DJ's, and now singers with Kareoke backing or even worse Kareoke acts with the drunks singing all night. My good friend doesn't even bring his keyboard anymore to his regular Thursday night gig. Just and Ipod and PA. Sings the first set to the dinner crowd and then DJ's for the bar crowd the rest of the night. I'd play (and we did) for next to nothing but there's just no where to go.

Loved the Lee Michael's video. Had some of his albums. I could spend all day looking at those old videos. Billy Joel did a simiiar thing with his drummer Jon Small. B3 thru a wah- wah and fuzz box. Album was called "Attila" I still have it. Still 10X more soul and excitement than todays Hip Hop garbage. Was watching a rerun of the "Soprano's" the other day and there was a scene where the family is watching the "Young Rascals" on TV, probably the Sullivan show.. Made me smile. Felix was the last one to play my gigging B3 before I sold it to a church.

Bill in NJ

#286158 - 04/23/10 07:59 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
say it isn't so!!! Your right..i am turning into an old fart! I blame this place,I was young and virile before I came here!

Weren't we ALL
t.

#286159 - 04/23/10 08:06 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
cgiles and DNJ

A few year ago I did just do it. Organ/piano, sax and drums. Rehearsed every Tues. night . Blues, some jazz and old school rock. Played a few gigs but it just dead ended. There are so few places to play and so many bands, DJ's, and now singers with Kareoke backing or even worse Kareoke acts with the drunks singing all night. My good friend doesn't even bring his keyboard anymore to his regular Thursday night gig. Just and Ipod and PA. Sings the first set to the dinner crowd and then DJ's for the bar crowd the rest of the night. I'd play (and we did) for next to nothing but there's just no where to go.

Loved the Lee Michael's video. Had some of his albums. I could spend all day looking at those old videos. Billy Joel did a simiiar thing with his drummer Jon Small. B3 thru a wah- wah and fuzz box. Album was called "Attila" I still have it. Still 10X more soul and excitement than todays Hip Hop garbage. Was watching a rerun of the "Soprano's" the other day and there was a scene where the family is watching the "Young Rascals" on TV, probably the Sullivan show.. Made me smile. Felix was the last one to play my gigging B3 before I sold it to a church.

Bill in NJ

Bill there is plenty of work here in NJ for everyone....you just have to reinvent & adapt yourself and your music and gear it to the right target audience.

Good Luck

#286160 - 04/23/10 08:48 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Bebop Here,
I don't have anything to add to this discussion because it would just be more of the same with my built in prejudices from gigging for more years then a lot of musicians have yet lived.
Here is what I would like to say. I really enjoyed this discussion and I am sure most who read it did.
Here is what I would like to see.
I would love to read the bio's of all the long time musicians that have been through the wars. We have so much in common and yet we are all so different because even though we lived through the same eras, we all have different life experiences. I would love to read the bios of those who posted in this thread and all the other representative musicians in this forum.
What say y'all. Let's just do it. Who would start?
Bebop

#286161 - 04/23/10 08:55 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Dnj Offline

Bill this maybe would be better in a seperate posting topic don't you think?

#286162 - 04/23/10 09:48 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
YUP Donnie I think you are right. I will start a new thread ALSO but leave this one here because a lot of people are posting in this thread. I hope they will go to the new thread and post their bios, so we can all reminisce those good old days
thanks Dude. I am especially interested in your Bio and I love your work and play it often.
Bebop

#286163 - 04/23/10 11:20 AM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
Tonewheeldude Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
cgiles and DNJ

B3 thru a wah- wah and fuzz box.

Bill in NJ

thats is such a funky sound! Not many Hammond players have been there, but if you can get it right its a very cool sound. I often think new Hammonds should have the effect built in.

Rabbit from the Who uses a Wha pedal too.

#286164 - 04/23/10 01:26 PM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have a pre-amp pedal to use with my 147RV. For years. I played a 335 thru it, and often used a wah. Once, I played my C-1 thru the rig with a wah. Pretty cool! Of course, playing any old style Hammond with the 13 pin connector would be a challenge, wah or any pedal-wise, since the pre-amp was in the Leslie and there were no 1/4" connections.

It was done; i just don't know how!

Russ

#286165 - 04/23/10 03:19 PM Re: HAMMOND ORGAN...Then & Now...
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Adding an effects send and return to the AO28 preamp in the B and C is pretty easy, actually considered a standard procedure nowadays.
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online