SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#282549 - 03/01/10 02:43 PM Our Circle has been broken again.
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I received this email this morning from Fred Atkins daughter, Julie Atkins:

Dear Bill,

Just to let you know that my Dad, Fred Atkin died suddenly on Friday evening. He had serious medical conditions but was smiling to the very end.
He always enjoyed your emails and I have seen a lot of them.
Many thanks,
Julie Atkin
I believe you can send condolences to Fred's family at his email address for a limited amount of time. mail to: fredatkin@tiscali.co.uk
Fred was one of the greatest arrangers of big band music and player of big band music on his Technics KN6500. He has been playing for over 60 years. I know you will all miss Fred. I have been forwarding his music out to my musicians email list now for over 10 years. He also played great classical music.
I bet Fred has a lot of those Angels singing the choruses of his tunes now. RIP Fred. We shall miss you and your music for a long time to come. You were a good man and a joy to all of us.
Bebop Bill Forrest

#282550 - 03/01/10 03:03 PM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill sorry to hear the news. May he R.I.P

Is Fred the man who submitted a few songs to the arranger jam that Cass organized last year? If it's the same Fred I remember he had a lot enthusiasm for the on line arranger jam.

#282551 - 03/01/10 04:22 PM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
What a shame...most of us are at the age when friends start dying...lost a great pal last month...makes living each day as best we can all the more valuable.

Sorry about your buddy, Bill.

Ian

#282552 - 03/01/10 04:55 PM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Could you post maybe your favorite up somewhere so we can all appreciate him for what must have been a major part of his life, Bebop?

#282553 - 03/02/10 08:08 AM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
BEBOP Offline

Stephen, I don't know the answer to your question.
I will follow Diki's suggestion and try to find the time today or tomorrow to go through some of Fred's, arrangements he recorded on his keyboard and put one up on boxnet. I will then advise the url address in this thread. I should have thought of that. Thanks Diki.
Yes, Ian I am loosing many friends at this time and age. I Just hit 78 on Saturday. I guess it goes with the turf
Best to all,
Bebop

#282554 - 03/02/10 09:10 AM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
Diki Offline

54 this coming Saturday myself, Bebop. Where did the time go?

I'll tell you one thing. If I had thought I was going to live this long (I had my doubts as a young 'un!), I might have got myself a REAL job long ago!

I just hope when I peg out, they all get together and have the best jam in history...

Belated birthday wishes to you, my friend... I'll count myself lucky beyond measure to get to your mark.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 03-02-2010).]

#282555 - 03/02/10 09:24 AM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
BEBOP Offline

HI ALL,
This is the last song that Fred Atkin arranged and recorded back in September before he got to sick to do anymore. It was a Harry James song name of Crazy Rhythm. He did a lot of Harry James for me as he and I had both been trumpet players in big bands in another life.
I put it up on boxnet. You can stream it or download it. Here is the url: http://www.box.net/shared/gfn0ay21v5

Non Boxnet members use this link.
I have all the arrangements that Fred did over the years in MP3, so if you didn't get them through my musician mailing list, I can email you any you might want, if he did it. They are all big band styles although he did several classical pieces too that are amazing to me to have been done on his Technics KN6500 keyboard.
Enjoy the music.
Bebop Bill

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 03-02-2010).]

#282556 - 03/02/10 09:42 AM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
Diki Offline

That link asks the visitors to log in, Bebop. Does something need to be changed so the content is simply on the page for us to stream?

Diki (the Disappointed)

#282557 - 03/02/10 12:56 PM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
BEBOP Offline

I changed the link in my post above and now you can play the song without logging in.
sorry,
Bebop

#282558 - 03/02/10 01:31 PM Re: Our Circle has been broken again.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Thnx BeBop ... Fred was a very talented man ...
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online